Six | Race

"Alright, assholes! Get the hell up!" Andrew came yelling into the room and started pounding on the walls.

Not that Race was asleep in the first place. He groggily sat up in his bed and began to rub his eyes. Racetrack was running on about three hours of sleep because he couldn't stop thinking that Mush's death was his fault.

The newsies started to stir in their bunk and yawn. One by one, everyone climbed out of bed. Well, everyone except Blink. Some newsies headed down to the bathrooms while others began to change their clothes and get ready for the day. Race walked over to Blink's bunk and suddenly remembered that Mush should be the one sleeping under him.

"Blink? You getting up?" Race asked.

Blink didn't respond.

"He wouldn't want you to starve." Race mentioned.

Blink sniffed his nose and sat up in bed, one of his hands covering his eye. He held out his hand and Race grabbed the leather eye patch off of the table next to the bunk beds. He passed it up to Blink and watched as he slipped it over his head.

"C'mon Blink, at least sell a couple today." Race smiled and then fished his cigar out of his tin can, then proceeded to get dressed.

---------------------------------

Race stood in line for his papers along with the rest of the newsboys. Their morning discussions filled the air as they talked about the headline and the previous night's tragedy. At the end of the line, Blink could be spotted with his arms crossed and his head down. Some of the other boys tried to make conversation with him, but no one was successful. There were loud shouts when a group of boys had spotted Romeo in line.

"You ain't sick no more?" Albert exclaimed, giving Romeo a high five.

"How many papes for you today, Race?" The attendee asked.

"Uhm, 30." Race requested, aware that his number was severely low. Nonetheless, he got his papers and paid his fee.

Race crammed the papers into his bag and heard Skittery talking to Pie-Eater.

"It's crazy how they got this printed in one night!" Skittery said, holding the paper out in front of him, "Mush only died 'bout 12 hours ago."

Pie-Eater elbowed Skittery in the stomach. "Pulitzer must not have had anything else to print!"

Race's curiosity was piqued and he pulled out one of the few papers he had bought. The front-page headline was about Mush's stabbing. The article went on to talk about what had happened and how Pulitzer was going to bury the dead boy out of the 'goodness of his heart'. Race scoffed.

"You only bought thirty?" Boots commented on Race's empty bag. "You're a brilliant seller and the headline's good, why so few?"

Race just shrugged and hit the street.

He didn't even bother going to his selling spot. He only had one mission today anyways. He was planning on going to Brooklyn to see Spot Conlon to tell him what had happened- and how Race suspected William.

Race stormed his way through lower Manhattan, marching the whole way over to the Brooklyn Bridge. He was upset, if that was even the right word. He was mad at himself because Mush's death could have been his fault, and he was pissed at Spot for being such an asshole. Race made it across the Brooklyn Bridge in record time.

"What're you doin' here?" Switch asked, blocking the path. When Race tried to move around him, his two newsboy sidekicks got up and blocked Racetrack from getting around.

"I'm here to see Spot."

"Yeah well, Spot don't wanna see you." Switch said, putting his finger in the middle of Race's chest.