Chapter Two

"Your heart burns and burns and then suddenly it turns to ice."

LEIRA'S POV

"This is how you hold it," he told me. My heart was racing and I had the biggest urge to leave. To run out of the forest and never return.  But this man, he'll catch up. Everything about him is terrifying, his expression, his style, his knowledge about the most dangerous weapons.

I raise my shaking hands and aimed the gun at the tree as he did. My hand was too unstable. I couldn't do it.

I jumped when I feel his hand touch my back, whimpering as I shut both of my eyes. He told me I did not have to worry, and to have this machine was a blessing. It could protect me and make others fear.

He was right.

—Present—

I flicked my knife open, spinning it around in my hand. My mind has wandered someplace else, or more specifically, to someone else. I closed the folding knife with one swift motion, then brushed my finger across the name permanently engraved on the handle.

Leira. I customized it to be both cursive and bold. It was a name I was proud to own.

"Leira." The voice sounded distant. It seemed to disappear from my memory, and I wondered if it was called at all.

"Lei?" The sound of my name rang again, and this time it shattered the line between my thoughts and reality. My head shot up in alarm, staring at Andrew. He had a relaxed posture with a hand on the steering wheel.

Three body guards sat behind us, chatting away. They accompanied us on most of these 'business trips'. Despite their intimidating features and cruel treatment to those who deserved it, they were quite decent people. This was a mask, just for the job.

There are more, fifteen to be exact. They made their way there on their own.

"What?" I replied after some time while sliding my knife back into my shoe. I could not focus on anything else but a pair of sapphire eyes.

I looked away quickly after my eyes met with Andrew's. One more second and all my thoughts would be exposed. He had the ability to read people like a book, and though special, it could be infuriating.

"Who is it?"

"No one," was my lame reply. He was not one to pry, hence he easily brushed it off and moved on.

"We'll have guests coming over tomorrow. The man visiting would be bringing his daughter and I'd like you to entertain her while I am discussing business with her father. Make her feel welcomed. Her father and I will be chatting for quite a long time," he told me, and I nodded. I never had to entertain someone in my home before, but I did not mind. I could simply supply her with some weapons and train with her in my forest.

The car took a turn to the right and passed the sign stating 'east side'. Our surrounding was completely empty, with just a few shops scattered along the road. Wandering alone in here was equivalent to a death wish.

Buildings were old and broken, and alleyways were stretched beyond sight between buildings. If those areas were combed, I could guarantee a deceased body laying around.

The vehicle came to a halt outside a large and old business building. The signboard's colour had faded from its original blue shade and a few windows were wrecked. We left the car with the bodyguards, and Andrew briefly explained what they were to do. Two of them would be watching me from afar, ensuring my safety while the others followed him.