Chapter Eleven

"There are no secrets that time does not reveal."

LEIRA'S POV

I invited the man into my home, ignoring the piercing curious stare of the guards protecting the house.

He scanned my home in utter astonishment. There were guns on the kitchen counter which were openly exposed, most probably left there by accident. His expression was priceless as he gradually approached the weapon.

When he reached out to grab it, my eyes widened immediately.

"Hey, don't touch that. You might hurt yourself!" My warning was turned to a deaf ear.

What baffled me was how he did not simply observe the weapon in his grasp. Instead, he pointed it at me.

"Put it down," I instructed. I was perplexed and frightened as to why he was threatening my life.

"No," the man had a note of finality lacing in his voice. "You told me your father was Andrew Spencer."

Still, I had a confused state of mind.

At that very moment, Oliver emerged from his room to inspect the commotion. His jaw dropped upon seeing me in a vulnerable position.

"This is for my parents," his voice cracked as he spoke, about to pull the trigger when Oliver attacked him from behind. The man who attempted to kill me dropped the gun and tried to pry the hand around his neck.

Oliver eyed the bow I had in my hand. "Kill him, Miss Leira."

—Present—

I was with Constance, the adorable child that Justice constantly spoke of when I entered his home for the first time.

I was missing home and it was the time for my daily training in the forest. I yearned to hold the weapon in my hand. 

An unfamiliar feeling pressured and reminded me that I was far from home without the presence of a guard.

The door to Justice's room creaked open. Thoughts urged me to quiz the man who chatted with his father just minutes ago. I was incredibly curious about the subject they spoke of, but the expression his face notified me that it did not result positively.

He entered his niece's room with a bitter look plastered on his face.

"That was fast." I identified the body language that indicated negative feelings. "Did it not go well?"

"He answered all of my questions truthfully," he revealed the decent news first. I knew his next line would be an unfavorable answer. "I found out things I would rather not know."

I stayed silent, not wanting to pester him into clarifying what exactly he was referring to. However, he was keen to tell me.

"His men had been trailing me for days and my father was sure I would not deceive him because he had eyes following and studying me. I was about to end the call when he mentioned your name because he noticed that we met," he confessed. "I know what your father did to him."

The topic interested me and I bit back from prying. He was open to fill me in and I was impatient to learn about the past of Andrew that I was oblivious to.

"Are you sure you want to know this?" he asked for confirmation while he cast a glance at Constance. I nodded and he hinted that we should discuss it outside.

We left the room and I tried in vain to reduce and calm the anxiousness stirring in my soul. I knew the news would not be positive in the slightest, considering the face Justice carried when he strode into the room. But there was a part of me that longed for the harsh reality.