Chapter Twenty Eight

"There are some things you can only learn in a storm."

LEIRA'S POV

"Luna will be here soon. I'll complete the job and we'll meet up so I can deliver the weapons to you," I told my father. He grumbled, distressed and concerned.

"Don't be careless, Lei. Be careful and stay out of trouble, okay?" he said.

"Likewise," I replied. I had a strong feeling that overshadowed every other thought. It cried out to me, telling me of a storm that was to come. I ignored it though, for it was nothing but a feeling.

Luna arrived after a moment. She had a beaming smile, which faltered after I opened the door.

"Is that Justice's jacket?" she questioned.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot." With urgency, I slid the jacket from my arms and tossed it onto the couch.

Her eyes were narrowed with suspicion and the frown remained plastered on her face. "Why do you have it with you?" It sounded as if the piece of clothing was the most precious item in the world.

My mind raced for an answer. We were sauntering towards her car when I replied, "Why? It's just a jacket."

My heart sank, and regret washed over me. I could have uttered something different.

"His sister gave it to him. He wouldn't give something away so simply," she said.

"He didn't give it," I lied. Justice did say that I could have it and I had been wearing it more than I would admit. His intoxicating scent was coated onto the clothing.

I clambered into her car. It was a guard who operated the vehicle, and I was in the back with Justice.

I hoped to start distancing myself from him for Luna's sake, but I would continuously find myself dismissing my thoughts and drawing closer to him.

In barely five minutes, I had given up thinking I could intentionally isolate myself from him. Luna was just a few feet away, yet Justice and I were closer than mere friends would ever be.

I was a terrible friend. I knew Luna was attracted to Justice but still, I did not disapprove when he rested his hand on my thigh. I needed to speak to her soon about him but I did not want our friendship to crumble due to a man we both liked.

"What's in there?" Justice questioned out of nowhere, gesturing to the hefty bag I dragged along into the car.

"Nothing important," I fibbed. It contained the weapons to be traded to my father's business partner and Justice could never know. Luna would have to receive a bag from someone else, and I hoped that she could conceal its contents from Justice's eyes.

"No, seriously. What is it? It looks pretty heavy." I did not expect him to push the question.

"Nothing," I repeat, smiling sheepishly.

"Don't lie to me, Ariel," he said in a low tone, before reaching hastily to unzip the large bag. His eyes lingered on the bunch of lethal weapons before he continued saying, "Can I really be surprised?"

"Justice, don't—" I could predict his next few lines.

"It's so infuriating because I have so many questions. I want you to be the person who tells me about who you really are and why you even possess these items. I can be patient, I just want you to stop lying to me. That's all I ask for," he sounded as if he was pleading.

"You know I can't promise that," I said softly.

"Try," he answered, locking his hand with mine and creating a puzzle I had been craving to complete.