Chapter Twenty-Two

"Carelessness in dressing is moral suicide."

JUSTICE'S POV

What was happening?

In a distance was a scene that left me flabbergasted. A sight I did not want my eyes to believe and my brain to register. The act performed kept all my attention directed. Words were unable to leave my mouth.

Luna was on her phone and unaware that the scene was visible to my eyes. I assume I was not supposed to see this.

Through the window, there was a group of people stationed in a position that was convenient for my sight.

Although Leira was far away, I could catch a glimpse of her expression. It was one I never saw in the past.

In front of her were three people in an exceedingly vulnerable spot. She was speaking and the victims were squirming under her cold gaze. Each careful step promised something menacing.

Then she did something I found rather startling. An act that caused my hand to fly to the handle of the car door.

"What—" the words Luna uttered were inaudible. My steps were hurried as I trudged towards the small home and attempted to climb in the house through the shattered window.

"Leira!" I yelled while feeling a piece of glass pierce into my leg. I winced but spared no further attention to it. "Are you out of your mind?!"

Leira had a weapon cocked and prepared in front of a woman. She had hair that was trimmed short and of the same colour as Leira's. There was a slight resemblance between her and Leira,  which resulted in me to conclude that she was Leira's mother.

Three people were looking at Leira with eyes clouded with disbelief. Features were shaped to show that they were beyond frightened.

"Lower it," I said quietly. Leira had her eyes trained on me. She seemed to be troubled with a plateful of options. Her eyebrows were furrowed and for a brisk second, resentment flashed passed her gaze. But gradually and deliberately, the weapon was pointed to the ground.

She was gritting her teeth as she stared at the people before her. She took a small step towards the trembling victims and that was all it took for them to flinch.

"If only you held me instead of your pride. You caused this to happen to me. It's all your fault," she directed her words to the woman and a man.

An abrupt knock on the door caused no further sentences could be uttered. Leira froze for a brief moment and dreaded her steps to unlock the wooden entrance.

I could tell that the unexpected guest caused relief to wash over Leira. She must have thought it was someone else.

The robust guards that followed her into the house dropped their unnerving grip on the three victims and bowed their heads slightly towards the person behind the door.

However, I was clueless as to how it would be a relief to see her adoptive father outside. He had mustered the calmest expression possible as he eyed Leira with boredom.

"Was this necessary?" he grumbled. From his pocket, he dug out a sum of money that caused my eyes to widen in awe. It was unbelievable and almost made me wonder how it felt to even hold the large stack. The extraordinarily large amount was then carelessly placed on the hand of the mother.

"Please forget this ever happened. My daughter won't break in again," the calm in his voice shocked me.

"Excuse me," a voice interjected. It sounded as if the owner of it was struggling to remain its steadiness. The man could come across as Leira's brother if he was younger. I assumed he was the father that gave Leira her stunning blue irises. "Your daughter?!"