Chapter Nine

"Shun death, is my advice."

LEIRA'S POV

"I didn't expect your story to be such a tragedy," stated the man. "Abandoned by family and then taken in by someone who taught you how to defend yourself in return of your life? Damn."

"Well, you exaggerated. I technically work for him now, doing illegal things." That information was fatal, yet the young and ignorant me said it anyway to receive understanding or pity of any kind.

"I think it's only fair to share my story now that you told me yours," he said. "I have a son and I am an orphan—cruel people from the east who assassinated them without batting an eyelid. I was unfortunately born and brought up in that side of town with parents who were not rich or a part of a gang that could protect them."

I did not expect him to say that. Suddenly, being abandoned by family seemed like nothing. It could never be compared with having a family killed.

I was heading towards my home without realizing that he was following. My bow and arrows were still resting on the log, yet to be kept.

"This is your house?" he asked in awe as he stared at the enormous house before us.

My naive self thought it was alright for him to know about my home and past. I invited close to my home without considering anything regarding possible consequences. I assumed because there were guards protecting the house, it was alright to invite him in. I was told earlier that Andrew was not present at home, so it must be I acceptable.

Little did I know, I was terribly wrong.

—Present—

I researched more of the multi-millionaire I presumed was a threat to Andrew. He instructed me to be aware of my surroundings for the days he was free to lurk the town. Apparently, Andrew had once provoked the man before he was locked up, making him a reasonable target.

Calvin Woodland was a Chief Executive Officer of the largest and most successful company about two decades ago. He was then found guilty of multiple murders. One of them involved his wife, who was forced into the act of violence. I even discovered that the monster stored the people he killed in an underground basement.

While I continued to search for information, Oliver knocked on my door with a polite grin on his face.

"I apologize for the disturbance, Miss Leira. Mr Andrew requested your presence outside," he notified.

With that, I proceeded to the living room where Andrew was seated. Around him were three armed robust guys.

"Hey Lei," he said as he got up on his feet. "I'll be away for the rest of today. You're allowed to leave the house for food on the condition that there are two guards around you. I left cash on the table. In case of an emergency, approach the guards protecting the house. It's a crucial meeting, I won't pick up calls."

I nodded as he strolled towards me to plant a kiss on the top of my head before leaving home with his men.

I stuffed the money into my pocket to avoid the trouble that might come if it slipped my mind. Then, I returned to my room to continue my research. This man, Calvin, could be easily dealt with if I knew his weakness. It could be helpful leverage that could help me get rid of him from Andrew's life.

I dug the internet for what felt like an eternity until I found what could possibly cause him to stop in his killing spree.

Initially, I assumed I got my hands on the answer when I discovered he had a stepdaughter. However, he had attempted to end her existence once, which caused me to realize she was not what I was looking for. Then, I learned that he had a son that was of his own blood.