Chapter Twenty

"It was my father who taught me to value myself."

LEIRA'S POV

We returned to the cabin after the messy incident. It turned out positive and I was beyond joyous.

Treyton, Luna, and Kai eyed Justice and me with extreme curiosity as we casually walked through the front door.

Justice had a massive grin plastered on his face in which he vaguely explained was because his father fulfilled his wish. Calvin pleaded for forgiveness and Justice claimed that it could only be granted if he did what was right—turn himself in. Calvin then did something I least expected him to do; he agreed.

It was insane how the promise of a family can overlook unforgivable acts.

"Where did you go?" asked Kai.

It was too long of a story and neither Justice or me wanted to explain. He gave an answer of simplicity that was not entirely true but not particularly false.

"Since we will have to leave tomorrow morning, today is technically our last day.
I have an idea for where we should go," Luna announced, squealing enthusiastically. "This isolated place is a few minutes from the west, where this new children's playground opened up recently. There's this gorgeous statue that I heard of and it's an amazing background for a photo."

This was not unexpected from Luna. Her room was filled with photographs and I doubted this was unfamiliar to her friends. However, I had mixed feelings because I was not a fan of taking any sort of picture. I was told that it should be avoided to prevent any negative situations to arise since I was a part of the criminal world.

"After that, we can eat in some pricey restaurant. It'll be on me." That statement caused some in the group to give a sound of approval.

In a moment, I found myself on the new side of the west. It was crowded and I enjoyed being in such a setting—where there were commotion and delighted smiles. They were contagious and quite immediately, it invaded my face as well.

Luna led the way like she knew every turn by heart. I was clueless about where we would end up until a glorious sculpture entered my sight.

It was of a lion surrounded by a type of flower that I coincidentally recognized. The were Black-eyed Susans, a plant that represented justice and motivation. It stood tall and was appealing to the eye. Many were complimenting it and snapping a few photographs.

"Get ready near that thing, I'm finding us a photographer," Luna told us. She turned around, where there was a lady who seemed to be watching two people from afar. It was a young child and a man, both back-facing me.

Alerted after Luna's call, the lady faced her. It was then I was able to study her features. Her exceedingly familiar features.

I stiffened after my eyes landed on her face and it was as if the world paused with me. My skin tingled, my heart lept and disbelief washed over my face.

It was somewhat clear that she was pregnant with her protruding stomach. She looked older than I last saw her, of course. It has been three years yet I failed to forget her at all. Every day, I craved her presence beside me, comforting me like when we were children.

My older sister, Madison Isadora.

She accepted to take the picture and was handed the phone. However, when her face scanned the people she was offering her help to, her gaze landed on me and her body became rigid from head to toe.

I supposed that the picture she needed to take slipped her mind completely. Before I could register what happened, a figure dashed, faster than the wind, and arms were immediately thrown around me.