Chapter Four

"Fire in her eyes and ice in her words; she chooses what you get."

LEIRA POV

Laughs surrounded me, echoing in my ears. They were taunting me and they made me feel vulnerable. I was haunted by the voices, and they followed me even if their owners weren't with me.

"Get the hell out of here, Leira."  My nails were digging into my palms.

"You can't mix around with us, you're just... too different."

"Yeah, none of us plays with knives." 

"Leave us. You're not welcomed here. It's sickening being next to you." I had enough of the girl with the snarky remarks.

It had been three months since Andrew took me in and this was the second time I could leave the house to the nearby park. I was not going to get chased out by a condescending group of children.

I stand abruptly, watching as they stepped back, startled. My knife fits perfectly in my palms and it was so tempting to threaten them. As I was taught, weakness was not an option. I could get the respect I craved with fear.

However, I don't want to kill.

"Are you leaving? Don't come back."

I scan the area, scattered with polished wooden benches, deciduous plants, and rustling leaves. It was filled with greenery, something I have yearned to look at for a while now.

"No. I'm not leaving," I told the group of girls. From a distance, I spot a middle-aged man with a stubble jaw entering the park from the gravel path littered with rocks.

"Get out of here before we make you." I restrained from rolling my eyes.

"How do your parents deal with you?" I continue to play with the knife in my palm when I caught the eye of the man who entered the park. His expression showed concern.

"Get out of here, you have no idea what we're capable of," the one with the snarky mouth tried to sound intimidating.

The man, who had been around to witness the taunting of the girls, decided to step in. He asked them to stop bothering me and I flashed him a message with my eyes, telling him that his remark was not necessary. I could handle this.

Andrew told me to not show weakness or emotions in the eyes.

I stared into the orbs of the young woman who had thrown the most criticisms, and in one swift motion, I reached and grabbed her neck.

The others were baffled by the abrupt move. A quiet gasp escaped the man's mouth.

"And you, do not know what I am capable of," I sting her with my tone. My hand tightened around her throat, provoking her. "I can go where I want and do what I want. If you dare try to control me, things could become irrefutably ugly."

Her nails dug into my hands, frantically trying to have to me release my grasp on her neck. The others started to step back.

I let go after a while of her struggling, watching as she took a deep breath, signalled to her friends and hurried away.

"Should I be afraid?" The man offered a smile. He stepped in when he could ignore the situation, and for that, I appreciated him. With him so close, the sight of his chuck hazel eyes became evident.

However, expressions could lie, and our relationship became one that suited the definition of complex and confusing.

—Present—