Chapter Twenty Seven

"Your best friend is the one who tells you the most truth."

JUSTICE'S POV

My voice mixed with the screams that flooded the room as Trey stepped into the restaurant. He stared blankly at us, not expecting the wild greeting. His eyes landed on Luna in a flash, knowing she was the only person who would plan such things.

"Thanks, Lunatic," he said with a toothy grin. His eyes scanned his surroundings, filled with decorations.

Trey's eyes then landed on his long-time lover. "I was wondering where you were," he said before approaching him.

I reminded myself of his name, Zak. A genuine smile swept across their faces as Trey approached him.

I settled down around the table with Ariel and Luna situated beside me. Ariel looked deep in thought. Kai was beside her, sketching a picture of Zak and Trey. 

Driven by boredom, my feet brushed across Ariel's. She snapped out of her train of thoughts and glimpsed at me. A small, knowing grin swept across my features before feeling a touch on my ankle.

A ghost of a smile lingered on her face as rested her hand on mine. The sudden electricity that surged within my body from that simple contact was insane. I had never felt anything quite like it.

"Justice," the voice of Luna caused Ariel's hand to retract promptly; as if mine has the heat of flames

"Yeah?" I responded.

"I just realized how long it has been since we last spent time together," she told me.

"Not really-—" my sentence was cut off.

"Yes! It's been literally forever. I think we should hang out." One of her eyebrows rose as if suggesting something mysterious. A small smirk played on her lips as her eyes caught mine.

She stayed quiet, anticipating my approval. I was hesitant because I knew exactly what she was hinting.

"Come on. There are no assignments handed out to us and your soccer practices are cancelled so don't you dare say you're busy," she said in an authoritative tone.

"My family is kinda in a mess right now. Crazy stuff. I need to put aside time for them," I reasoned with her.

"Fine. You can have the whole of tomorrow's afternoon with them. Can you accompany me while I run errands for my parent's business?" she requested with a pleading gaze. Her eyes flickered behind me for a short second. She then continued saying, "There's a chance Leira might be there tomorrow."

"What?" Ariel asked, dragged into our conversation.

"Will you be...you know, helping your father in his business tomorrow?" she was subtle about some information. I discovered that Luna knew what Ariel has been hiding from me. She knew that Ariel's father isn't some animal hunter. Luna added, "Where we first met, remember?"

"I haven't been informed yet, but there's a high chance since it's been a while. Why?" Ariel asked.

"Perfect! Justice can be there and we can perhaps have supper somewhere near the area." Luna seemed to have everything planned.

"No," Ariel's said, her voice was firm. "Justice is not going anywhere near that place."

"Why not? He can fight and he'll be with me. It'll be relatively safe," Luna said, grinning at me.

"He's not part of that world, Luna. Don't drag him in, please," Ariel sounded vulnerable as she attempted to convince Luna otherwise. However, such a task was impossible. No one could simply change Luna's mind.

"He'll be fine." Luna shrugged, then asked me, "You're coming, right?"

"Sure," I agreed, wanting to learn more about this 'world' Ariel mentioned and about her father's true job.

"No, you're not going. The east is dangerous," Ariel said.

"Trust me, I know," I told her. "I'll be okay."

She sighed, giving in.

"I can pick you up, Leira. We can make our way there, finish our personal errands then have our supper." Luna squealed at the completed plan.

The subject was then forgotten as we were then utterly consumed in celebration. The food was provided and the massive cake for Trey was revealed from the kitchen.

"Thank you!" Trey yelled. His hand was slung around the shoulder of Zak as he raised the glass of alcohol. A genuine smile invaded his face as he pecked on the cheek of his partner.

Trey then skipped over to me with a mischievous and devilish look.

"Happy birthday brother," I said, realizing I had yet to do so.

"Yeah, yeah, thank you. It's not important though. What I find more serious is how you were grabbing Leira's hand under the table. Yes, I saw you. I'm not blind," he babbled.

I froze, cursing mentally. Though I was not certain of the relationship between me and Ariel, it was supposed to be known to just both of us.

"I don't know what's going on, but I'm pretty sure Luna is into you. You gotta sort that out first," he told me. "But, I just want to tell you that I am so on board with you and Leira."

its been a month. maybe more. with no updates and god i'm sorry to the people to actually do read this story. i finished till chapter 30 so far and it's ending soon. just need to check through when i have time, which is kinda scarce ngl.

right now i have so many things so focus on its piling up.

i'm making sure i fully edit the first book of this series and i'm actually publishing it as a physical book. the bad draft vers it's out but it's gonna be btr after the editing process 🥺