Chapter Fifteen

"When my father didn't have my hand, he had my back."

LEIRA'S POV

On Wednesday afternoon, Luna's friend picked me up for the massive tournament that Justice would be participating in.

I learned more about the two other friends following on the cabin—Treyton and Kai.

The process to convince my father to allow me to go on the little trip was almost tedious but I could understand his point.

The night I called Justice after my father finally accepted my request to join him and Luna in the cabin, I was told that he spoke to his father yet again to quiz him of the attack. From the details given, I realized Calvin had my father's men killed because he suspected that they were trailing Justice with bad intentions.

I saw the deceased bodies of the guards that contributed to protecting me for the past years and it had indeed taken a toll on me since I did saw them as family. Then again, death is so common.

"You're so pretty," the girl, Kai, complimented. I raised an eyebrow and I let out an awkward laugh. Keeping to myself for such a lengthy period locked me away from having any sort of communication and it felt so strange to receive a flattering remark. "Your eyes can hypnotize better than those swinging clocks."

Out of the bag she brought along, she pulled out a drawing pad and a pencil and started to create a portrait.

"You're an artist?" I questioned, feeling quite eager to find out more about the hobby.

"I'm working to be." She started to sketch and it soon became something impressive. It seemed impossible and incredible that she could draw something with exceptional control even in the shaky car.

"Where's Justice?" I asked as we drove past his home.

"He's going with his sister," the other friend, Treyton, replied. "I get that the boy is cute and all, but Luna's too smitten for her own good."

"No, I'm not!" Luna protested and started an amusing argument that kept me entertained for the rest of the ride.

We arrived at our destination and the guards parked their car beside ours. I doubted that either Treyton or Kai knew about their presence, but they should not be alarmed. They were friends with Luna, someone involved in the east as well. They might already be used to armed men following her around.

"Who are they?" Treyton pointed out, referring to the guards who have been following us. It confirmed my suspicion of them being clueless about their existence.

"They were hired by Father to keep a lookout for trouble," Luna explained without much context. She glanced at her friend, still bitter from their quarrel. "Break a leg, Trey, literally."

"Thanks, I love you too," he sarcastically remarked. "You'll be cheering for me, don't lie."

After that last statement, Treyton received a more sincere 'break a leg' message from Kai before leaving for his soccer match.

We sat a few rows away from the field. I caught a glimpse of Justice's family a few seats beside me and one of them hastily scrambled over upon noticing me. She had the biggest grin on her face.

"Justice mentioned that you'll be here," Constance spoke. "I was really excited to see you."

A small smile reached my lips as I stared at the adorable child. Luna, beside me, had a mystified expression plastered on her face as she stared between us.

"You know Justice's niece? How?" she questioned while cocking her head to the side.

I hesitated to answer, knowing that Luna was indeed infatuated with Justice despite all that she denied. I then decided that she deserved to know the truth and explained, "Justice saved from the people that tried to attack me. He gave me a safe place that kept me away for danger and I met Constance."