10: Chances

I turn off my phone off and take a deep breath. After a quick pep talk, I head back into the cafe, nerves racking. The bell above the door rings and I catch a glimpse of the girl looking back with a confused look.

I smile at her sheepishly, walking over to her and sitting down across from her, where my cup remained. "Uh, hi again?" She says. "Hey, I'm sorry for running out like that. I... have a lot going on," I say truthfully. She takes a sip of her drink, looking at me.

"I get it, I do," I furrow my eyebrows. "Kaela told me that you were getting over your ex," I nod in confirmation. "Do I... remind you of her?" She says hesitantly. I sigh, folding my arms on the table. "Honestly, yeah. Like a lot," I admit.

"If you wanna cut this date short, then I understand," I shake my head at her. "No, no. It's fine, really."

"Are you sure, Jade?" I nod, "Yeah. You seem like a nice girl and, I wanna get to know you better," I smile at her. She smiles back cutely. Damn, she looks even more like Leigh.

Fuck.

"What do you wanna know?" She asks, taking a bite of her scone. I glance at the treat, "For starters, what kind you have there?" She covers her mouth with her fist, "Peach."

I grimace, and she giggles, "What?"

"Peach? That's gross," I comment and she raises an eyebrow. "What kind do you like, then?" I sip my cold ass drink, but didn't mind it since it still tastes good.

"Chocolate." She nods thoughtfully, "Nice choice, but don't yuck my yum." I look at her weirdly, "What?" She fans her hand off at me, "It's an American thing." I chuckle, "A weird American thing, I tell ya."

She looks at me for a second with this look I can't detect. "What?" I repeat. She shakes her head lightly, "Nothing. Your accent is just so adorable."

I scoff playfully, "I'm actually surprised you can understand me. Not many Americans can, if 'm honest." She shrugs, "I'm pretty good with accents. Where are you from?"

"South Shields. You?"

"Los Angeles, California," I tilt my head slightly. "What brings you to the UK?" She then tells me how her mother got a job offer in High Wycombe and I freeze again. That's where Leigh is from.

What the fuck? This is getting crazy.

She then told me how she's actually Mikaela's ex, but they're now best friends. That seemed pretty weird to me, but I try not to make anything of it.

The more she speaks, the more I think 'she's practically a slightly younger, American Leigh-Anne'. I feel guilty for comparing mentally with each word she says, every gesture she does, and even how she listened to me when I'd speak.

"Your little brother has a soccer scholarship too?" I look at her confused before shaking my head to myself, chuckling, "Right, I forgot you guys call football 'soccer'. But yeah, he does."

"I bet you and your parents are proud of him, huh?" I nod with a smile, "Very proud. He's hoping to get drafted. Hopefully to his favorite team, Liverpool." She nods, "I'm sure he'd go pro someday."

We talk a little more before I notice the sun setting. "It's getting late. Do you need a ride, or you're okay?" I ask her. "If it isn't too much?" I smile at her, "C'mon then, beautiful."

She blushes a bit before we both walk out of the cafe and to my car.

The pass few hours run through my mind like mad. I mean, the biggest one was her mom working in High Wycombe. That made tingles go up my back uncomfortably.