12: Feelings

Jade

I glance at the digital clock on my dash.

9:27pm.

I sit in my car, stomach doing flips and handstands. I stare up at the massive house, letting out slow, shaky breaths.

I'm so fucking nervous that it ain't even funny.

While regulating my breathing, I also try to calm my excited heart down. It feels like it's been a while, when in reality, it's been three months. Three months with Andre. I think her snapping back so quickly hurts me more than us actually breaking up.

Putting my own heartbreak aside, I really do hope Andre is treating her better than I did. I hope he makes her smile more. Tell her she's beautiful even when she has cheese from her nachos on her face or fresh out of sleep. Holds her close and keeps her safe.

Show her what real love is like. Because I damn sure ain't show her.

Checking the time again, I see that it's exactly 9:30. I kill the engine with an anxious sigh before stepping out into the cool night and shutting and locking my car.

I walk up the short pathway to her front door, my nerves going mad at the thought that in a few seconds, I'd be face to face with the love of my life.

I hesitantly ring the doorbell before running a hand through my brown waves.

About five seconds later, I hear that sweet voice call out, "Hold on just a moment!" A small, goofy smile stretches my face a bit and I lick my lips; dammit, I left my chapstick.

Just then, the door swings open and my eyes widen at the woman in front of me.

Leigh-Anne stood before me with a red and black hoodie flannel on over a white crop top and black yoga pants. Her usually curly hair was straightened and half of it was up in the back while the rest flowed over her shoulders.

She gives me a friendly smile, opening her arms up in an inviting hug and I find myself complying automatically. "Hey, Jade," she says in a tired voice with a cheery tone.

Something's bothering her.

"Hey, Leigh," I mutter, wrapping my arms around her waist. I discreetly breathe in her soft, sweet scent and let her hair tickle my face before breaking away.

I didn't want to make it awkward by holding her way longer than appropriate. I have to remind myself that she isn't mine anymore. I nearly frown at the small, but noticeable pout on her face.

"C'mon in," she says, stepping out of the way for me.

I look around the home I haven't been in months; nothing has changed. Not that I had expected it to be.

I hear her close the front door behind us, causing me to turn my head towards her. She brushes pass me and I suddenly feel her grab my hand, pulling me along towards her grand living room.

The juvenile feeling of wanting to giggle at her touch was heavy on my being. That was pushed out quickly when I remembered our history.

We soon enter the living room and I stand awkwardly as she sits down. She looks up at me with a confused expression. "Sit down," she urges me.

Hesitantly, I sit across from her, putting my elbows on my knees and looking around the familiar living room awkwardly.

"We broke up," her voice rings out quietly. My gaze snaps to her; she had her head down, playing with her fingers in her lap. Something she does when she's holding something back.

"Really?" I asked with wide eyes. She looks up at me with glossy eyes, then nods without saying a word. "We got into a fight," she briefed, moving loose hair behind her ear.