9: The Blind Date

Day 87

It's been a short minute since I've last called Leigh's phone. I've thought about Alex's words and he's right. I do need to get over her.

I realized that me seeing her the other night and presuming Arthur have been treating her like I did just proves how much I need to quit on her.

I stopped going out and drinking; instead just worked, came home, slept, make dinner if Alex hasn't yet, and repeat.

He's said a million times that he just wants what's best for me and even deleted her number from my phone.

Though, I felt like something's missing. Like something isn't finished.

I tried dating again, this time actually getting to know the girl before taking her home and not calling her the next day or anytime in the future.

I've only been on two different dates, and they didn't work out in the slightest. Mainly because one girl just kept complimenting my eyes and saying how big and beautiful they are. The other one just wanted to fuck; and that was something I forced myself not to do.

Because she looked good. Too bad she was damaging my already progressive morals.

I was washing dishes at work when my coworker, Mikaela, comes up to me, holding a tray of dishes and setting them down. "Thanks," I mumble, tired as all hell.

"How's the dating thing going?" The younger woman asks, loading the dishwasher for me. "Not terrible, but could be better," I shrug. She closes the machine and turns it on.

Mikaela was a freshman at the same college Alex goes to, on a football scholarship, but also majoring in music.

She's really smart, but had let the college life get to her head and almost got arrested during the first semester.

"Could I set you up with someone?" She asks, leaning against the counter. I turn to her with a raised brow, "I'm listening." My tone skeptical. "Her name's Amandla and she's damn cute," she says with a goofy look on her face.

"That's all? Damn, you're just as vague as my best friend," I comment. "Yeah, because you told me before that you liked being surprised," the young American says, rolling her hazel eyes.

I nod with a chuckle, "Yeah, I do, but I'd like a little bit of information. Like is she tall or short? Stuff like that."

"Well, she's a few inches shorter than me, so short," she answers. I turn my attention back to my work, pondering on whether or not I should let this kid set me up with someone.

"Okay, set the time and place for us."

———
I got home hours later, exhausted. It was quiet in our flat. Though, I spotted Alex's car in the port, so my guess is that he's asleep. The faint smell of pasta permeates the flat and I smile internally.

I close and lock the door behind me, kicking off my shoes and setting my bag down beside the sofa. Taking off my work hat, I run my hands through my curls, sighing exhaustedly as I make my way to the kitchen.

After making myself a plateful of lasagna, I sit down at the dining table and took my phone out. All of a sudden, my phone vibrates in my hand, signaling that I have a call.

From an unknown number.

I hesitantly answer.

"Hello," my voice slightly worn from the long day I've had. "Hi, is this Jade Thirlwall-Chamberlain?" An unfamiliar woman's voice calls out. She sounds like an uppity bitch, if I'm honest. "May I ask who this is?"