|Chapter Sixteen|

I walk aimlessly through the night. Perhaps searching for another place of respite in this treacherous city. Perhaps just hoping for a distraction.

My feet lead my to Fish Mooney's old nightclub. With a shrug, I enter, not sure what I'm expecting. 

Oswald, or Penguin as most people call him, has redecorated nicely. Although, there is currently no entertainment. 

I stop at the bar and sneak a bottle from the counter, pouring myself a drink. My ears perk as I hear Victor.

"Relax, he's harmless."

Looking over to him, I see he's finished his business with Butch and now delivering the final product to Oswald.

"He's loyal to Fish!" The shorter man protests.

Vic smiles, "Not anymore."

Butch just grins innocently. 

Oswald blinks slowly, "He'll do anything I ask?"

The bald hitman nods proudly.

"Hey, Butch! Dance for me."

Butch starts to dance, albeit pretty badly. Oswald starts laughing hysterically, with Victor joining in. 

"I do good work," Zsasz states. 

I clap, "Yeah you do." 

They turn to me and Vic grins, "Heya, Y/n."

"I wasn't expecting you," Oswald says.

"Yeah, it's been a crap day. Needed a bit of a pick-me-up," I hold the bottle up before chugging quite a few mouthfuls of the burning liquid.

"I can see that."

I sneer at him and turn my back on them. I'm not in the mood for conversation. 

~

The circus is in town, so I decide to buy a ticket. It's been a few days since the whole issue with Jonathan, and I'm pretty much over it. 

I head into the main tent and enjoy the show. During the trapeze act, I turn to see Jim and Lee a few rows to my right. I watch them sneak a kiss during the Grayson's act, smiling. They're so cute together.

After the trapeze, a bunch of clowns come into the ring and start a brawl with the acrobats. I bark a laugh as Jim stands and calls out, "GCPD!"

It seems like he just can't catch a break.

~

I walk out of the tent, searching for an old friend. We used to hang out all the time, ever since we were kids. I haven't seen him since I was taken, so I'm anxious to see if he's still here.

Asking around, I finally find his trailer. I rap on the door a few times and wait. I hope his mother doesn't answer. She was never a nice woman.

After a few seconds, he opens the door. 

I grin, "Hi, Jerome."

It takes him a bit to recognize me. 

"Wait, Y/n?" 

Nodding, I quickly hug him. "Jerome, it's been so long!"

"Yeah, I thought I'd never see you again! Where were you?"

"Long story. But, I'm back now, and it's great to see you!" I glance around the trailer, "Lila isn't around?"

He shakes his head, "She hasn't been home in a while. I'm worried about her."

I narrow my eyes. Jerome never liked his mom, why would he worry about her? "Uh-huh. I'm sure she'll show up eventually."

He nods then motions inside his trailer, "Come in."

Dipping my head, I enter the messy trailer and find a seat.

"May I ask. . ." He starts to question, looking at the ears.

"I had a surgery."

"Oh."

"Yeah, that's why I was gone."

"Really?" 

I nod, then take my tail into my hands, "See, I have tail now."

He stares at it for a bit, "It looks cool."

"I know it's unconventional. . ."

"No! It's nice, really." He says again, smiling sweetly.

His smile is contagious. 

~

We talk a bit more before a knock at the door startles us. Jerome takes his coat off the hook and opens the door to reveal Jim, Lee, and the ringmaster.

"GCPD. Can we speak with Lila?" Jim notices me but doesn't comment on my presence.

"She's not here. Why? What's happening?"

"Where is she?"

He puts on his coat, "Uh, I don't know. She was supposed to be home ages ago."

"You her relative?"

"I'm her son. Jerome."

"Jerome, when did you last see her."

"This morning. She was here when I left for the library."

The ringmaster places a hand on his shoulder, "Relax Jerome, this gentleman is just here because Owen and Allen had a disagreement. Your mother's fine. Gone on a spree no doubt. You know how he is."

"A spree? Without her hat, her coat, her purse?" Jerome turns to the snake, "Look at Sheba. She's distraught, she knows something's wrong."

"The snake does seem to be agitated," Jim agrees.

"Sir, she's what you call a 'party girl'. Back in the morning with her knickers in her handbag. Sure as eggs."

"She didn't take her handbag, did she?" Jim retorts then looks at the snake again, "How fast does an animal like that move?"

"A fast walking pace. They rely on surprise mainly."

"Let her out."

"Sorry?"

"Let her out."

Jerome obeys and we all start to follow the snake as it glides towards a covered wagon. Jim removes the cover and reveals a dead Lila. 

Lee gasps in shock, "Oh my gosh."

Jerome starts wailing, falling to his knees. I place my hand on his shoulder, trying to comfort him. Lee does the same. 

"You knew," Jim accuses the ringmaster. "You knew she was here."

"No."

"Don't lie to me."

"She was like that when we found her," he confesses.

I'm in for another long night, I think as Jim starts to herd everyone to the precinct. But, at least I can keep Jerome company.

Thanks for reading!

Please vote and comment!