18//The House

.

Ashton

/

I finish my breakfast and turn to Michael, who keeps checking his phone for messages. "Michael? Can I talk to you for a sec?" He looks up, raising an eyebrow. "Does this require me to drive all the way to a random street?" I roll my eyes. "No. It's just..." I trail off looking up the stairs.

"Well?"

"You know how we were talking about Ally? Before we actually saw her?"

"Yeah?"

"Um, I wanted to tell you...I think I like her. Not just as a friend but-"

"Seriously?" His eyes widen and he drops his phone on the table. I nod quietly. "Whoa. I mean, whoa. You actually like her?" Michael leans back, running a hand through his newly colored hair. "Ally's amazing. But I know that she'll never like me back." I say sadly, looking down at the table.

He puts a hand on my shoulder. "Hey, don't put yourself down about it. Look, if you like her, why don't you just tell her?"

"Like I said, she'll never feel the same way."

"You could try."

I think about it for a moment. "When?" He smiles at me. "Whenever you want to. See, I can give good advice." Michael looks pleased with himself and I stand up. "Thanks Mikey. I could tell her tonight, or something. I still want to show her the bridge." His jaw drops. "The bridge? Dude, that's where everyone gets married." I roll my eyes and walk upstairs, knocking on Calum's door.

I know Ally always sleeps there. I open the door and peer in, and she's still asleep. God, she looks adorable. I close the door behind me and sit on the edge of the bed. Why do I like her? She's amazing, cute, funny, smart, beautiful...I could endlessly list good things about her.

"Ashton?" Ally turns over. I stand up, coughing. "What time is it?" I check my phone. "Um, 11:25." I answer. She closes her eyes and opens them again. "Can you lie down with me? I don't know why, but-"

"Of course." I sit on the bed next to her, lowering myself down. Her head is in the crook of my neck, my face is in her hair while I play with her hands. She snuggles close, closing her eyes again. "Thank you." Ally mumbles. "So, Ally. If you're not doing anything tonight, I kind of wanted to show you something. Other than the locket." I point to her neck. She looks up at me and tilts her head to the side. "Sure. My mom will be home late anyway." She snuggles down again and buries her face in my chest.

"Ashton?"

"Hm?"

"I-um, I never said thank you for saving me from Ryder."

"It was no big deal, really. You just got lucky that someone happened to drive by, right?" I look away. She shakes her head and looks up at me again. "That's not true. Thank you. And, I'm glad it was you." Ally smiles, looking up at me with her big eyes.

I want to kiss you so bad.

I stroke her hair and smile back down at her. "You're welcome." I pull her close and kiss her forehead. She giggles and closes her eyes.

Luke

/

I drive down the road and park outside Calum's house. I live there but it technically is Calum's house, even after I moved in. I sigh and get off, opening the front door and bombarded with hugs. "What's going on?" I ask. "Where were you? We were looking for you last night! We checked everywhere." Fiona explains, pulling away while Michael and Calum still cling on. "I thought we didn't hug," I laugh. "We don't care. We were all worried sick, you know." Michael pouts. I ruffle his pink hair and frown. "Where's Ashton and Ally?"

"Upstairs, I think." Calum answers. "Okay..."

I walk upstairs and knock on Calum's door. "Ally?" I open it and of course I'm expecting her there. But I don't expect Ashton.

"What the-"

Ally sits up, rubbing her eyes. "Luke! Where were you?" Ashton slides off the bed. "You're here now. But we-"

"Were worried sick, I know." I snap. Ally's face falls and her eyebrows furrow. "What's wrong?" She stands up and struggles to keep her balance. Ashton takes her arm. "You okay?" She nods and walks over to me. "Luke?" I turn away. "I'm going."

"What? You just came back!" She exclaims. "I have to go." I head downstairs with both of them following. "Luke? Please don't leave." Ally bites her lip. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "I'll be back in an hour." Without another word, I slam the door behind me and climb onto my motorbike, starting the engine and driving down the road.

I need to see it.

I take a couple of turns and arrive at a plain, white house decorated with trails of roses and vines. A red Porsche is in the driveway and some swings and a trampoline are in the garden. I take my helmet off and look at the house.

I remember when I used to walk out the front door, ready for school with my loving parents. I used to touch the vines and laugh, and I used to roll around on the grass, playing with my mom. My mom.

"Excuse me? Are you lost?" I hear a voice call from the doorway of the house. My house. I see a young woman in her twenties and a man appears who looks around thirty. "Would you like to come in?" I don't why, but I walk up the path and follow them inside.

"What's your name sweetie?" The woman asks kindly. "Luke." I blurt out. "Well, Luke. Are you lost? Where are your parents?" The man questions, sitting down and gesturing for me to sit across him. I settle down in a big armchair, shifting around awkwardly. "Um, actually, this was my parents' old house. I wanted to see it one more time."

The woman gives me a warm smile. "That's sweet. Do you know your parents' number? I can call them for you." I lick my lips and look down at my hands. "Actually, my mom's dead."

Silence. I am expecting it, though. Every time I tell someone my mom's not alive they don't say anything but have a look a pity on their face.

"Oh. I'm so sorry. And your father?" The man speaks up. I shrug. "He's in jail. I'm living with my best friend and his parents right now. And I'm not lost." I tell them, standing up. "I'm sorry, I have to go. It was nice meeting you."

They stand up and lead me to the door. They wave as if they were my own relatives while I walk down the path and sit on my motorbike. I start the engine and turn back.

Well, that wasn't strange.