19//The Bridge

.

Ashton

/

That night, I drive Ally to the bridge. The special bridge, where you can see all the city lights with hardly any cars zooming past and silence. The lights are probably the best part, though.

I hop out the car and open the door for Ally, who gives me a small smile before leaning against the railing. "It's so beautiful." She breathes. I shrug, stuffing my hands in my pockets and stand next to her. "It is."

Ally looks out across the water beneath the bridge and sighs. "So, how come you've never shown me this before?"

"I guess I forgot about it. We've all been so busy with watching Disney movies on Netflix." I chuckle. She smiles and leans on the bridge.

Well, this is going better than I thought.

"Why do you cut yourself?" I blurt out.
Shit.

Ally stares at me blankly for a minute and swallows hard. "You wouldn't understand."

I take a deep breath and take off a bandana tied around my wrist, looking away. I feel her suck in her breath and stare at the faded scars.

"You honestly think I wouldn't? After I did the same thing?"

Ally strokes my cuts and bites her lip. "I'm sorry." She croaks. "I'm so, so sorry. But why?"

I stand in silence and slowly pull my wrist back, tying the bandana back on.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk about it. I understand."

"So why do you?" I ask, curious.

"I'm fat. Worthless, a waste of time. It's hard. Hearing all of it, and trying not to believe it. I used to think it was all a lie. Until I looked in the mirror." Ally tells me, staring at the bright city lights across the bridge.

"They did this to you."

"No, I did it to myself. I didn't want to think about them hurting me. The blades distracted me. No one knows. No one but you guys."

I stare at her in silence and pull her into a hug. "Don't think that. Don't hurt yourself because of the lies they tell. We love you."

I love you.

She wraps her arms around me and buries her face in my chest. "I won't do it if you don't. You're amazing, Ash."
I smile and lift her chin up, her eyes glinting. "You are too. Don't ever forget that, okay?"

Ally nods and smiles back up at me.
I wrap my arms around her waist and pull her close. She strokes my cheek with her thumb and stands on her tiptoes.

This is it.

I lean down and kiss her.