Chapter 08

"Dipping Sauce! Are you okay?" Mabel shouted from across the room the moment she noticed her brother's re-entrance.

Dipper smiled back and silently waved, trying not to draw too much unwanted attention to himself. Pacifica kept a smile on her face while she walked closely next to him. She had come to understand Mabel's personality: mature on the outside, a child at heart. Somehow perfectly balanced. And while Pacifica would never admit it, she enjoyed the explosive personality. Mabel had been more of a friend to her within the last hour than anyone else ever.

Mabel embraced her brother in a bear-like hug. Although Dipper was the taller of the two, he was swiftly hoisted off the ground with ease.

"Ow! Ok yes, I'm fine!" Dipper said in between breaths.

"You better be. Don't scare me like that again — just running off. What's wrong with you?" Mabel tightened the hug.

Pacifica stood next to the twins and watched as their sibling love radiated throughout the food court. The only thing interrupting that warmth was Wendy. She stood close-by to Dipper and Mabel but kept stealing glances at her. Pacifica couldn't understand why considering she let go of Dipper's hand almost immediately after reentering the food court.

"Yo, why'd you run off like that? We were actually worried for a moment." Wendy said without loosening her grip.

"Sorry, I just had to finish something." Dipper glanced towards the ground. Mabel's eyes saddened at his unwillingness to reveal any more than that.

"Well, if you ever need to talk, I'm here for you. Anytime." Wendy said, followed by a kiss on Dipper's cheek.

Dipper's cheeks reddened almost instantly, as did Pacifica's. Except Pacifica's were red with fury, not with embarrassment. Mabel's face lit up like the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center. Nobody knew whose side she was on. If there even were sides.

Dipper didn't know what to say so he just put his hand on the spot where he was kissed. "Uh, yeah. Thanks."

Oh, that filthy hillbilly. Pacifica thought to herself. She couldn't believe Wendy had the guts to just kiss Dipper like that in front of not just her, but Mabel. The people of Gravity Falls had nothing on Mabel's shipping prowess, which she was sure Wendy knew. And a kiss directed towards her brother was enough to launch 1,000 ships.

Her kiss was quick, but extremely effective. Dipper was left speechless. Pacifica felt her innards burning up. The look on Wendy's face was simply worsening her mood. She must've thought that just because she was older and Dipper was madly in love with her five years ago, she had him all to herself. Well, that wasn't the case.

Pacifica tried discerning whether or not her mood was a result of jealousy or out of the desire to win. If it was the former, then she'd have to admit she had feelings for the Mystery Twin. If not, then she still had to best Wendy at her own game.

Either way, the Northwest had to get home. She needed to begin formulating her plan; her plan that would involve tearing Dipper right from Cotton-eyed Wendy's dirty hands.

"Hey, I'm gonna head home. It was really good seeing you both again." She hugged Mabel. Pacifica didn't realize how much she would miss them. Even though they were both in Gravity Falls again, the chances of bumping into each other was probably small. And why would they want to hang out with her? The Pines' would likely be involved in family activities, and Pacifica — she simply didn't have the funds to go out every day like she used to. "Let's catch up sometime." Her attention moved to Dipper.

"Definitely. Good to see you too, Pac." Dipper said, taking her into his arms. A smile formed on her face uncontrollably. Knowing she was being hugged by Dipper right in front of the red-head was pure bliss.

Tit-for-tat — that was how their war was going to go.

After their longer-than-average hug, Pacifica turned around and left the mall. She was pretty sure the fact that she didn't say goodbye to the oldest of their group wasn't lost on the twins. Oh well.

Under normal circumstances she would've driven herself home. But, since her friends were her ride for the day, she was left with taking a bus or walking, and she really needed some quiet time to think. Walking it is.

Pacifica tried to make sense of the day. She was talked into going shopping with friends despite the fact that her family's been financially suffering for five years, news of the twins' return reached her, her favorite outfit was ruined, and the boy she was determined to win over was suffering from things she didn't fully understand.

"Dipper. . .Pines. . ." A voice originating from the trees trembled with a sinister tinge of confidence. The leaves shook in fear as the name of the town's once savior was mentioned.

Pacifica felt a cold shiver run through her body and trace down her spine. The sensation was slightly different than earlier, but still recognizable. She fixed her hair and kept walking until the horrible realization that she didn't have either of the twins' numbers hit her.

"Excuse me." Pacifica said to a group standing against the wall of the mall. They each held a flyer. "Do you know where I can reach Mr. Pines? Is he at the Shack?"

"As far as we know. His fat employee just came by a few minutes ago and handed us these." One of the strangers showed Pacifica the flyer.

ALL are invited! Mystery Shack's first ever cookout! Tomorrow at 4PM!

"Oh, that's right. Mabel mentioned this. Thank you." She said, handing back the flyer.

A cookout at the Shack would be a perfect opportunity to talk with Dipper in a setting she was very comfortable in—parties. Pacifica's paced walk turned into a jog. She wanted to get herself prepared for the big day. She had to wear her best, casual outfit. Food, music, socializing; it all was a perfect chance for her to get closer to Dipper. Of course, Pacifica knew the lumberjack would be there too, so she had a whole night of plotting to do.

She could hardly contain her excitement. For the first time in her life, she actually felt like a kid. One who was welcome.