Chapter 11

In an incredible case of the tables being turned, the cookout instantly became the life of Gravity Falls and everyone wanted to be there. Normally, when a party was hosted, it was at the Northwest manor, and the Northwest family would attract the most powerful people in the world. . .and a monkey. But, this time it was the Pines' turn to shine.

Mabel, Candy, and Grenda spoke amongst each other: giggling, laughing, gossiping, and trading forks to try different snacks. Typical teenage girl habits — or rather, typical Mabel and friends habits.

The thought of where Dipper disappeared nagged the back of her mind. While she didn't mind him being alone with Pacifica, she loved them both, it was the topic of conversation that worried her. No matter what changed or didn't, he was still Dipper. And he was still susceptible to triggers.

She only hoped her brother could handle himself without her around. And she hoped neither her friends nor family members could notice her standing around awkwardly, pretending like she was focused on the conversation taking place.

"Well, I'll be. The rumors are true — the Pines are back in town." Mabel turned around and locked eyes with Gideon Gleeful, former town psychic, ex-con. His white hair remained in all its previous glory. Unlike her usual reaction to seeing him, she didn't nearly pass out and/or vomit; instead, she got out of her seat and went to greet him.

Gideon's eyes traveled up and down the teen's body, "Well, you've certainly gotten more beautiful. What's it been: 5-years?" He emphasized the compliment by adjusting his collar.

"Yeah, five long years. And thanks. You're looking much better, too." Mabel tilted her finger up and down, tracing Gideon's change in wardrobe and choice of haircut. Still sporting the light-blue color scheme, he wore a collared shirt and dark pants. His hair was slicked to the side and much shorter, not anymore than 3-4 inches at longest.

"Where's the other Pines twin?"

"Wish I knew. He ran off with Pacifica right after she got here."

Gideon nodded, "Ah, yes. The future wife of Gulford Southeast, heir to the Southeast's family fortune. You know, rumor has it they're the richest family in the country. Nice guy. I mean. . .for someone like Pacifica, I guess."

"Wait, what? Future wife?" Mabel was stunned. Pacifica never mentioned being in a relationship with anyone. She didn't even have an engagement ring.

"Yeah. From what I heard, they got engaged like a month ago? I think." Gideon nonchalantly helped himself to some food that was scattered about. Mabel stood motionless in shock and disappointment. A part of her felt betrayed considering she didn't mention it outright to her and Dipper, especially since Mabel knew Dipper had a bit of a crush on Pacifica since they were twelve.

"Hey, excuse me for a minute." Mabel said as she ran inside the Shack.

Mabel whipped out her phone and tried calling Dipper. No answer. She called again, but he didn't respond. Mabel grew impatient. She wanted to tell her brother what she found out immediately. After a few more tries, she decided calling Pacifica might work. However, she didn't have the blonde's number.

"Dang it." Mabel mumbled to herself.

"What's wrong, kid?" Stan stood in the doorway. His "Don't Touch the Cook" apron was covered in stains.

"It's just, well, Gideon just told me that Pacifica was planning on marrying the son of the Southeast family soon. I wanted to tell Dipper since I think he has feelings for her. Even if they're small, he should still know so he doesn't get his hopes up later." Mabel said. Grunkle Stan's face contorted at the mention of Pacifica's name. She continued, "What?"

"Look, this was supposed to be a fun party to honor you and your brother, who God only knows where is at right now, and I didn't want to spoil it with bad news. . ." Stan looked towards the floor.

"Grunkle Stan, what is it? Every time we bring up the Northwest's, you cringe. What's going on?"

"Mabel. . ."

"Now. Please." Mabel's voice was demanding, but immediately softened when she remembered he wasn't to blame for her distress.

Stan let out a sigh. He wiped the sweat from his forehead and walked right past Mabel. "Follow me, kid." The two made their way to the closet in the living room. Stan pulled out a file-folder with the label: CLASSIFIED. Mabel didn't like the look of it. It brought back memories she wanted to forget. Stan continued, "Before you two get all buddy-buddy with that girl, there's something you should know."