Chapter 29

Pacifica sat quietly on the edge of a cliff. She allowed the brisk summer wind to dance through her hair. Her usual attire that consisted of a purple jacket and skirt was replaced by a blue long-sleeved shirt and jeans. It was one of those evenings where the weather was beyond perfect, It wasn't sweat-inducing nor was it so cold a coat was needed. There were a few clouds in the sky but not enough to block the setting sun, only enough to add shades of pinks and oranges to the canvas that was the sky.

The time on Pacifica's phone read 7:02 PM. She stared at the home screen until hands suddenly wrapped around her head and covered her eyes. A sharp yelp escaped her lips.

"Surprise." Dipper's voice said in a whisper directly next to her ear.

She playfully pushed him away, "Don't scare me like that!"

Dipper smirked and sat down next to her. Without waiting another moment, Pacifica moved closer to him. The warmth emanating from his very presence was such a comfort to her. If she wasn't careful, she could fall asleep right where she was.

The couple sat in silence, basking in each other's company. It wasn't until several minutes later when the sun finally disappeared behind the mountains and the moon took its place.

"Can I tell you something?" Pacifica asked.

"What is it?"

The blonde shifted in her place. She was clearly uncomfortable. "I've been having this horrible dream lately. It's been keeping me up every night."

Dipper turned to face her, "What dream were you having?"

Pacifica looked towards the grass, "You left me. I admitted to you that I love you and you disappeared. I don't know where you went, but you left. You left without saying it back."

Dipper didn't say anything. Pacifica continued, "I don't know why, but it made me so scared. I was afraid I might never hear those words come out of your mouth." She placed her hand on his. Looking back up at him, she carefully moved his hair out of the way, revealing his birthmark. She was shocked to see it wasn't there. "Hey? What happened to your—"

"We can never be together." Dipper said, his voice dripping with fierceness and disdain.

Pacifica looked into his eyes. They were yellow, almost lizard-like. There was no soul behind them, only hatred. Pacifica almost fell off the cliff because she was so startled.

"We can never be together!" Dipper said again. He sounded angrier the second time around.

"Wha. . . What's happening?"

Everything around her began to blur. An image of several lines and dots flashes in her eyes in a blinding array of white light. Dipper slowly faded from her sight and from existence as a whole. A loud ringing sound pierced her ears. Beyond that sound she heard a familiar voice. The voice echoed, "Twelve. Twelve. Twelve." It went on until she woke up in a cold sweat. She looked at her room and saw it was in the same state as it'd been for weeks.

Forcing her body to move, she kicked her covers off and got off the bed. Her feet across the carpet and into the cold hallway. The butler was nowhere to be found, which was totally fine with her. For the first time in a while, she managed to get herself down to the kitchen. There, she got herself food and some orange juice. Every room in the mansion, aside from the bedrooms, was empty since it was the middle of the night.

Taking one big sigh, she sat herself down at the dining table and began to devour the food before her. She ate like a trapped zoo animal. Not as wild, but equally as starved. Pacifica was thankful nobody was around. Had anyone seen her in the state she was in, she'd become the laughing-stock of the century before she had a chance to say, "I'll sue you!"