Chapter 25

Dipper arrived at Gideon's house and was met with a look of impatience and irritation. He took longer than intended at the Shack. Time was not a luxury they could afford. Little words were exchanged between them before getting into one of the many unmarked cars Gideon owned and heading for the outskirts of town.

Dipper clung to his backpack which held all the things he felt necessary, including the journal. Never in a million years did he think he'd ever have to use it, or even see it again. All hope rested on the fact that they defeated Bill all those years ago and the world was safe. But, that wasn't the case anymore.

His worst nightmares had been realized. Who would've thought they would be caused by the person whom he developed feelings for?

The Mystery Twin was so lost in his own world, he didn't realize he was being called. His phone continued to ring and ring and ring. Gideon glanced over at Dipper. With every ring, the annoyance in his eyes was amplified to the point of losing the light they usually reflected and being filled with hostility.

"Earth to Pines!" Gideon called out.

"Huh? Sorry, what?" Dipper responded, still not realizing his phone was ringing.

"You planning on answering that?"

Dipper glanced down at his phone. Pacifica was displayed across the top. He answered.

"Dipper! I was just calling to ask if you know for sure when you'll be back?"

"No, sorry. It shouldn't take longer than two days-or-so. Wait—you could've asked me at the Shack." A moment of silence fell over them. Like expected, Dipper immediately figured out the reason behind Pacifica's call. A soft chuckle was heard on the other line.

"All right, fine. I just wanted to hear your voice. Is that so wrong, Mr. Dipper Pines?"

"Oh, I didn't realize you cared about me that much. And here I thought it was because Wendy was there and you were looking for every excuse to stay away from her."

"I hate you."

"I know." Dipper responded, not able to control the smile on his face. A part of him hoped Gideon wouldn't tease him about it, but at the same time, he knew Gideon still loved Mabel and was ready to use that as a counter.

"But seriously. . .about the journals. . . I understand you're gathering them all again. If you of all people believe that to be necessary, then it must be bad."

"Yeah. Gideon and I are going to meet my Grunkle now. Which is why we are going to be gone for a few days."

"I see. Well, watch out, Pines."

"I will, Pac. Don't worry."

Dipper hung up. He put his phone into the bottom pocket of his backpack and sighed to himself. Trying to ignore the tension in the car, he looked out the window at the passing scenery. Beautiful mountains, pine trees that rose several dozens of feet, a sunset that licked the sky with tones of orange and red.

Just once, he wished he could come to Gravity Falls and enjoy his time there without the threat of universal annihilation hanging over his head. He would've loved to spend time with Grunkle Stan and Soos, Mabel and Wendy, even Robby. That was his wish. But, the safety of his friends and family came first. Dipper was willing to do whatever was necessary to protect them.

———————————

Back at the Shack, Pacifica stood alone in the second floor hallway. The voices of Mabel being Mabel and Wendy laughing came from the attic. She tightly held her phone in a grip unnatural for a girl her size. Her head angled downwards towards the old wood floor. Her body trembled. Soft chuckles escaped her lips.