Chapter 20

The world quickly recovered from yet another paranormal catastrophe. Much to everyone's thanks, this one wasn't nearly as bad as 2012. If anything, it could've been compared to a brief windstorm.

When the sudden shift in the atmosphere reached Dipper, who was approaching Oregon's border, he picked up the pace. He'd managed to make it all the way across state lines until the car finally came to a stop. The gas was unresponsive and the windshield no longer displayed any images.

"Why'd you stop?" He asked.

Destination is no longer viable. Rerouting to Northwest Manor.

"What, why?!" Dipper waited for a moment for any response. He received none. He quickly asked, "Wait, could you locate Pacifica Northwest and take me there?"

ID: Pacifica Northwest. . .Analyzing. . .Analyzing. . .Complete. New directions appeared on the screen. The engine kicked back on and Dipper was on the move again, back into Oregon.

Stan, who felt the energy too, told Soos to watch the shop while he went looking for Journal 1. After the events of Weirdmageddon, himself, Dipper, Gideon, and Ford thought it'd be best to split them up and keep them hidden. Only the designated person hiding the journal was permitted to know where it was.

"Grunkle Stan." Mabel said shyly.

Stan shut the safe, keeping the journal hidden as quickly as he heard his great niece's voice. He turned around and asked, "What is it, Mabel?"

She looked sorrowful, but didn't have any words to express it. Her foot swayed back and forth on the wooden floor.

"Hey, go into the living room. We can have candy or something and talk there."

The smile that used to live on Mabel's face barely returned. She nodded and left the room. Stan locked the safe up and repositioned the paintings hiding it. Shortly after, he joined Mabel in the living room.

Pacifica, however, woke up and immediately realized that she was no longer in the Southeast Manor library. In fact, she didn't have any idea where she was. And with no phone service, she was stuck. All that was recognizable were mountains and trees, each one looking exactly the same. She decided, with the little mental fortitude she had left, to walk westward. With any luck, she'd reach a gas station to ask for help.

After an hour of walking, she felt like her legs were going to give out. She wasn't used to walking such long distances at one time.

"Hey, move out of the way!" Pacifica turned and noticed a scruffy truck driver waving a fist at her from his window. This was her chance.

"Excuse me, sir. Can I borrow your phone? I tried mine but it wasn't working. I'll pay you whatever you want." She said, holding out a handful of cash. The driver's face didn't change in the slightest. He simply took the money and handed her his dinosaur phone. Pacifica flipped it open and dialed Dipper's number. She didn't stop to consider the fact that Dipper never gave her his number. Yet the memory of it was fresh in her mind.

"Hello?" Dipper said on the other line.

"Dipper, thank God! I need you to come pick me up, please. I don't know where I am, but I'm looking for a truck stop."

"You're in Oregon. Your butler, or former butler, let me use that futuristic car in your family's garage."

"The what? Never mind. Um, Dipper. . ?" Pacifica remembered her end of the deal. She was, by any means necessary, to get the journals. "I was sort of wondering if you still had those journals from when you first came to Gravity Falls? Remember the one you brought to my home?"

There was a pause. Dipper's voice wavered, "No. Why?"

"I kinda promised someone I'd get it for them." Pacifica's voice broke in between words. She felt bad bringing up such painful memories, but she had no choice. A deal was a deal.

Dipper didn't say anything. The only sound she heard was the tires racing against the country roads.

"Dipper?"

"You promised whom?" Dipper's voice dripped with fear and irritation. He didn't wait for an answer before he asked, "Wait, you promised someone or you made a deal with someone? I thought you were at the Southeast's place."

"How did you—never mind. Yes, it was a deal. I'm sorry I made a deal on something that's yours, but. . . Hello?" Pacifica looked down at the phone screen. It displayed an ended call message. "Hello? Dipper?"

"Looks like he hung up, honey." The driver took back his phone and disappeared into the distance. Pacifica felt like an idiot.

She should've known. Dipper was one of the smartest people she'd ever met, of course he was going to figure it out. The fact that she thought she could outsmart him was foolish. And now she was left with nothing. He probably hated her. It would've been justified if he did. After years of growing up, trying to be a better person, she always ended up reverting back to Princess Pacifica, another link in the world's worst chain.