Chapter 17

It didn't take long before something I consider interesting happened. As a few minutes of driving since the new girl had gotten into the car, she said something very strange and out of place, "Can you roll down the window?"
     I looked in the rear view mirror looking at her for a few seconds, "Why? It doesn't make sense to right now."
    She growled under breath sounding angry, with an irritated tone, "Just open the window for god's sake. Your scent is driving my instincts insane." I looked in the rear view mirror and her eye started glowing red and I realized she wasn't joking so I opened the window. Jennifer turned around to face her as best as she could, "I'm going to assume that if his scent bothers you, you have to rely of humans somehow to survive, correct?"
    The girl sighed, "Yeah. I'm a ghoul so I have to eat human flesh or starve to death. Similar to you giants." Jennifer nodded like this was just something casual thing and not a huge deal at all. Of course this now meant I'd have two carnivores to fend off, if they aren't fed and obviously I didn't appreciate that. Sadly, this meant only person here that didn't eat humans besides me was of course Michael. And to be honest I don't even know if I can trust him to help me when the time comes. I tried to keep my focus on my driving though. Soon, there was a silence for a  long while before any chatter began again.
    Out of the blue, the girl spoke again, "I heard a rumor that you are dating a supposed human boy. But I'm guessing it's this guy, right?"
    Jennifer looked at me blushing a bit then back at her, "I guess you could say we are dating. But I can't say that without it be considered weird by my culture."
     I was honestly becoming a little frustrated Jennifer was telling so much to someone we knew so little about and didn't even know if we could trust her for real. So, I decided I'd ask some questions in return, "First of all, what the hell is your name? You haven't told any of us but want to know more about us."
      I saw her give me an annoyed glare through the mirror then huffed, "My names Riley jerk wad." I ignored her insulting me as Michael punched her in the shoulder. I don't think he did hard but he didn't do it playfully. Within seconds, she just rubbed her shoulder and gave him a dirty look.
      I went for another location, "When was the last time you ate?" Jennifer gave me a dirty look for asking this like I was out of my mind.
      She seemed to hesitate to answer the question, "Weird question but like two weeks ago. I had to wait for something to happen to come out of hiding."
      I knew why she had to stay in hiding. If the human world knew what she was; they'd kill her instantly or attempt to study her. If the humans discovered what she was, they'd declare war on her species due to what they eat. Like how the humans had declared war on the giants in ancient times as the giants would eat entire villages of people without hesitation or reason. But Jennifer had told me when we were at the castle a while ago, that most of giants that were the problem in the war, were males who killed for fun and sport. And she told me that in a short time that the humans had managed to thin down the giant population so much they also went extinct during the war. The population got so low because all the males had been sent off to fight off in the war. And I got a gross explanation of how they repopulated the giant population which I won't share. And due to the male giants causing the war they were banned from returning to the giants kingdom and were forced to hide in the humans society. But anyways, ghouls I hadn't heard of as like a species but as like a way to describe what monsters are.
    Then, Riley tapped me on the shoulder and kind of spooked me, "Look ahead in the sky." I leaned in over the wheel and looked out the windshield. There was a giant surge of energy that was shaped like cylinder going straight into the sky. The energy was constantly rotating and sparking like electricity. The surge ended at top of the forcefield dome. I slowed down a bit to get a better look. The surge of energy was purple like the color of the forcefield. Jennifer was clearly speechless and so was I. I couldn't believe we were getting close to the whatever was causing this.
     I stopped the car and turned around looking at Riley, "Do you know what is causing this?"
    She avoided looking me in the eyes, "Well, I can already tell you it's Kevin, he's known for using magic that uses purple energy consistently."
     This raised more questions than answers for me. I had to figure out what the hell she was talking about, "How the hell do you know who is doing this?" She went quiet suddenly and looked at Jennifer and Michael, then back at me. We were all looking at her wanting to know how she figured this out.
     She looked out the window to her left like she was contemplating a choice, "Well, I was working for him. I was disregarded by him like I was a traitor. I hadn't done what he had told me to. He ordered a werewolf to kill me. But they didn't have enough time to complete the kill. And that's why I teleported to you guys hurt. I knew where you were because of the broadcast by the military."
     I became a little worried knowing the military might be telling the enemies where we are constantly and be ready to ambush any time. I rolled up my window and locked all the car's doors just in case. I had to press on because everytime she talked it just caused more questions to form in my mind. "Why would you side with him? He's killed people as far as I know."
     She shook her head, "He's killing them yes, but he's sacrificing them to your father. And I was his girlfriend. I honestly didn't know he'd flip out and go insane."
     I wanted to know how she figured out who my father was so I asked and she said, "You left this back here." She held up the note from my father in her hand. I didn't want her having that. I snatched it from her hand and put it in my jacket.
     I decided it was time I was going to tell her our objective, "I hope you know we're not going to just stop this guy. We're going to kill him."