Chapter 8

"Do you know what you've done, Second Prince of Granzreich, Edward von Granzreich?"

Uh oh. Viktor's pissed.

After I'd left Lolan Belle crying and running away from the party, the guests started whispering harshly amongst themselves on how 'disgraceful' I was, using commoners' tongue and displaying rash behaviors that are unfit for a royalty. It's not like I can do anything about it; at the very core, I am a commoner. Nothing can change that.

The raven girl frowned at me, not at the running girl, which was strange since I technically did just defended her from a bully even though she looks like she can handle herself. But before I could do anything, Viktor stepped in smoothly and calm the guests down by asserting that I was just 'nervous' for my introduction. As if.

I was brought to the king's office while the queen and Eins stayed behind to chat with the guests. Now, I'm standing before a frowning Viktor, his High Steward, and Theodore,  who also doesn't look very happy. The other guy was the only one who's all cool with it.

"I defended myself from a verbal threat to my reputation and honor, your Majesty." Knowing that the Papa King is in his Serious King mode, I quickly compose myself and addressed him properly. Theodore nodded in approval.

"Yes, by also verbally attacking one of the five prestigious earls of Granzreich," Viktor deadpanned, "you do know that we are going to have to issue an apology for this, yes?"

"Why should we?! They—I mean Lolan Belle started it first! Spouting all the crap about being my future wife!" Here, I just wanted to vomit. The thought of that degenerate being my wife makes my blood boils. "If anything, they owed the royal family a huge favor by this!"

The King sighed and sat down, pinching his brow. The assistant guy spoke up, "Your Highness, sir. Do you know what proportional and disproportional responses are?"

I stared at him for asking such a stupid question, "What about this face tell you that I do?"

Ignoring my sarcasm, he continued, "If someone slaps you in the face and you slap them back, it would be called a proportional response since you are simply retaliating as it is fit. However," Oh boy this guy has one hell of a stern glare, "in this case, what you are doing is a disproportional response. The girl tried to spread mostly false rumors about you and was incredibly rude to our guests, but in response you have completely ruined her life."

"Oh? How so?" I glared back, unimpressed, "At worst, her family would never be invited back here again and their reputations will be damaged for a while, sure, but those pesky politicians always have a way to bounce back."

"Normally yes, and while I'm happy that you are taking your politic lessons seriously, Edward," Viktor sighed tiredly, "Earl Belle's wife is a Kvel. Never before have a high ranking official marries someone from—"

"Hold the fucking phone!" I yelled, not having enough patience to note that they wouldn't even know what is a phone, "Why the hell are you saying it like being a Kvel is some kinda crime?! Isn't this country is supposed to be equal—"

"Enough!" Theodore thundered. I flinched, but my composure quickly returned to glare at him angrily. How dare he yells at not one, but two royalties like they are his offspring?! "Your Highness Edward, please do not raise your voice to his Majesty like that."

"Theodore, thank you." Viktor nodded quickly before I have a chance to blow up at Theodore, "Edward, I'm not implying that I'm anti-Kvel. A friend of mine is also Kvel," Heine, isn't it? "and I know how frustrating the discrimination in our land is. Be as it may, since you openly criticized the Belle family like that, the unrest nobles who already dislike the Belle family will latch onto that as the reason to chastise the them. Do you get it?"