Chapter Fourteen

"What do I get if I win?" Ladybug asked as her eyes scanned over her pieces, stopping only for a few seconds to look at "Chat Noir".

"My crown, I suppose. And if I win, I get your miraculous." Sovereign looked at his nails like he was trying to see if there was any problem with his nail polish.

Ladybug shook her head. What significance would a crown have to her? Unless that was where the akuma was. Sovereign only had one of those puffed fabric capes wrapped around his shoulders and shoes with a slight heel.

"If I win, I get your akuma." She declared, locking eyes with Askook. His eyebrows were pulled together, and they shared a knowing look.

"Mmm, yes. I suppose that would be fair. It's a deal." Sovereign looked at his pieces, his brain miles ahead of Ladybug's."Pawn 2A move to 4A"

"D7 move to D5" Ladybug said with uncertainty. She didn't lie, she knew how to play. But it had been years, and her strategy wasn't the best in the first place.

"2H move to 4H."

The game continued for a while. Ladybug had a lot more pieces stolen by the akuma then she had taken of his. She was too late to realize that she was cornered. She only had a few pawns, King, and her Bishop, Askook.

"Check." Ladybug chewed her bottom lip.

She couldn't move the Queen, if she did, the rook would take it. Which would be okay if the King could take it. But it couldn't since a knight was ready to take any piece that got in its way. There was only one way she could win this. And Askook realized at the same moment she did.

"Askook, please don't" Ladybug pleaded. She was greeted by a reassuring smile. His fingers fiddled at his wrist.

He visibly gulped, his adam's apple bobbed. "It's okay." He took a deep breath to calm his nerves. "Ladybug. It's okay." He offered a glance at the spot. "Sometimes people have to make sacrifices. And I'm willing to be that sacrifice."

Askook slowly took several steps to the place she so desperately hated. "Check." He managed to say, forcing himself to stand tall like anxiety wasn't twisting through his veins.

Sovereign smirked as he ordered a pawn to take Luka out. It hit him and he felt shooting pains in his leg as he slowly faded away, just like the other stolen pieces.

Ladybug moved herself to where Luka used to stand. "Checkmate."

Before Ladybug knew what was happening, a rush of fog whipped around her. Her eyes squeezed closed, and her feet dug into their spot.

Everything stopped and bluebell eyes fluttered open. They were standing in the same place they left off. The empty space between the Eiffel tower and the buildings. The only difference was that the horizon was a light shade of green and birds were chirping. Askook was off to the side, resting on a bench with his leg curled to his chest.

"Fair is fair I suppose." Sovereign sighed as he stepped towards her, his fingers curled around something. She extended her hand out.

Everything moved in slow motion. Sovereign twisted his body around the arm and was at her side in a second. He managed to get one earring out. Alarmed bluebell eyes met wide blue as a red light began at her nose and ponytails.

"Second chance!" Askook choked out as he pulled the snakehead back on his bracelet. In a flash, everything went back to where it was not five minutes before.

"Askook, please don't" Ladybug pleaded. He allowed himself to meet her eyes. She didn't remember what had just happened. He forced a smile on his lips as he gave himself a second to admire her eyes. Familiar. Like they actually wanted to cry for me, even though they don't know me.