Chapter Fifteen

"Luka Couffaine, you now have the chance to be the permanent holder of the snake miraculous. Do you accept or decline?"
                            •••

  “I- I don’t… what?” Luka stuttered, turning his head towords the voice.

   “It is, of course, a huge responsibility. You have every right to decline.” Fu commented. “You’d have to be able to balance two identities, even more than you do now. Your struggle will be as real as Ladybug and Chat Noir’s. If you were to do so, only Ladybug, Chat Noir, and I would know your identity. No one else is allowed to know.”

   “You’d have to feed me,” Sass added. “After every akuma attack because it’s tiring.”

   Being a hero? Permanently? Luka had spent plenty of nights wondering how Ladybug and Chat Noir did it, the akuma’s never waited before they attacked innocent civilians. And it was a huge responsibility, he’d have to be willing to stop everything he was doing to fight Hawkmoth.

   Luka took a minute to think about what he had been doing with his life lately. Writing an unbelievable amount of music, being in Paris held more emotion in his heart than any place he had traveled. He was trying to fix his very much damaged bond with Marinette and prove he would be the most trustworthy friend. He was also helping Rose and Jueklea take care of Weylyn, babysitting during the workday and had sleepovers when they needed date nights.

    His thoughts paused at the thought of little Weylyn. He was such a little boy, born into a world with a man who manipulated people’s emotions to do his biddings. A world where every day he lived in a constant state of fear and his daycare had drills when akumas appeared. It wasn’t fair and Luka wanted to change that. His nephew deserved a world where he could run down the streets and enjoy himself. And if Luka could provide that, then he sure as hell would.

    “I am willing to be the holder of the snake miraculous as long as you’ll allow me,” Luka stated confidently.

    “Very well, you may open your eyes.”

   Slowly, to make sure the other didn’t stop him, Luka opened his eyes. He had to blink a few times as he propped himself up with his elbows. Blue eyes briefly skimmed the room before landing on the man he had been talking to.

   Saying Luka was stunned was a slight understatement. He didn’t know what to expect when he had opened his eyes. But he certainly wasn’t an elderly man wearing a red tourist shirt.  “Sir?”

    “Luka, I am Master Fu. I am the guardian of the miraculouses. You will soon learn many things that many don’t even know exist.” Master Fu waited for a response, his hands clasped behind his back.

    Luka bowed his head respectfully. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Master Fu.”

     The old man smiled. “Respectful indeed.”

    “If you don’t mind me asking.” Luka started, looking around at the room. It was a simple room similar to one massage therapists would use a while back. “Ladybug and I had to detransform before we arrived. Why is that?”

    “You see, Luka, it would look suspicious every time Ladybug and Chat Noir came here in their hero form. I have them transform back in their civilian form before they come, to throw Hawkmoth off.”

     Luka hummed and continued to admire the room. A knocking came from the door. "Uncle Fu?" Ladybug asked.

    "Just a minute dear. Luka, I do believe you should close your eyes."

    Nodding, he squeezed them closed. The door creaked open and was closed again. “The akuma is all taken care of. Did I miss much? Luka, since we’re here, you can give him your miraculous.”