Chapter 13

"Are you crazy?" Rome whispered with wide eyes as he looked outside his bedroom window.  It was 10 o'clock at night and Pick decided it would be a good idea to come to his house.  "Get down from there!   What do you think you're doing?" 

    "Climbing up clearly.  Now step aside and let me in" Pick answered casually. 

    "Do you have any idea how much trouble I'll get in if my dad catches you in here?" Rome asked anxiously.

    "He won't.  You told me he left for the night anyways" Pick answered.

    "So?  He can decide to come back at any time" Rome whined "why are you here anyways?"

    "Because I want to see my boyfriend?  And I've never gotten to see your room before" Pick said as he stepped inside through his window. 

    "Yeah, it's a real stunner" Rome said sarcastically with a laugh.  His room was small and had nothing in it but a bed with thin sheets, a cracked mirror, and a closet which didn't even function for hanging clothes so they were piled on the ground instead. 

    "It has character" Pick said. 

    "Yeah, what is it?  Depressing?  Lonely?" Rome scoffed. 

    "Is that how you feel?" Pick asked softly. 

    "No, I was just talking about my room" Rome mumbled as Pick stepped closer "but I mean...sometimes but not as much anymore..." 

    "Why?"

    "Because I met you and the others" Rome said quietly as he avoided his eyes. 

    "What was it like before you met us?" Pick asked as he sat on Rome's bed. 

    "I don't know...I just didn't really have anybody.  I never had friends before I met you" Rome said as he sat down beside him, Pick's arms encircling his waist. 

     "Why wouldn't anybody want to be friends with you?" Pick asked in disbelief "I mean you're annoying but-"

     "Hey!" Rome laughed and whacked his arm.   "People just never liked me.  I thought I must be unlikeable.  People would make fun of me for anything really...being too short, having a pretty face, having big lips, later on for being gay" Rome shrugged "there was always something people didn't like about me and even if there was a possibility of someone wanting to be my friend, they'd probably be too scared because then they'd be bullied too." 

    "People are so fucking stupid" Pick couldn't help but get angry hearing him, "all those things they made fun of you for are the things I love about you." 

    "Well they aren't things everybody loves" Rome laughed softly with a small blush. 

     Pick shook his head angrily and held Rome closer, "they're too fragile in their masculinity to want to find you attractive so they bullied you instead.  Fucking dumbasses.  They're probably in the closet." 

    "Wouldn't be surprised" Rome chuckled humorlessly and Pick caught something in his eyes that made him feel like there was something more to the story.

    "Why do you say that?" 

    "If I tell you...do you promise not to freak out?" Rome asked with hesitance. 

    "I can't promise that but I'll try my best."

    Rome sighed and nodded, "um...one of them...tried to touch me once" Rome said with a shaky voice. 

    "Who?" Pick's voice was steady but clearly full of anger. 

    "Why?  What are you planning on doing?  Please don't do anything."