Chapter 5:A Budding Feeling

I assigned Enterprise as my new secretary and Laffey is now relieved from her work before I assigned the latter to a combat group and as my flagship. She assists me in paperworks, helping in relaying messages to other parts of the base, sorting mail, etc.

While we're at it, I'm always the first to strike up a conversation with her. Like the other girls, I never talked about the accomplishments she made or the battles she fought even though I knew almost every battles she participated before in naval history books. I also didn't call her by her famed war moniker Grey Ghost and instead, her real name.

I started to get to know her better day after day by talking about the things she likes. For example, about the books she read, food, etc. We're also talked about the weather, the usual activities of the girls, about my subordinates and the things they did and about her.

As an observant person, I knew she waits for me to talk about the medals or awards she achieved and shift back to what we are doing right now but nope, I didn't asked any of it. I already felt that just by her stares she gave to me. Everyday, we talked like this while we worked and I'm glad that Enterprise did the same when she wants to talk with me.

It was okay and at the same time, enjoyable. Having to talk with someone to break the silence in the office. Deep inside, the sadness that has been latched inside me for my entire life also starts to break.....................slowly. When I smile, it became natural to me to do that when I'm with her.

I want this feeling after all the years of emotional sufferings that I've endured. I want this to last forever because she's now my new friend.

"Commander, you're always asking to know about me." Enterprise said while I'm signing some papers about the missions.

I stopped what I was doing for a moment and looked at her. As always, she smiled like an angel would as she looked at me. Aaaah, she's cute.

"Sorry, E. Maybe it's your turn to ask me about my personal life. I don't mind at all. Go ahead." I replied.

She tried to think of a question about me as she put down a stack of papers. "Ok. So, I should start with, I'd like to know about your family, your hometown, things like that. The file they gave me after I got transferred here are the official stuff."

"My family? Ok, then. I was the eldest of the two children. I have a younger brother who also loved the history of World War, who is kinda naughty and a stress maker but he's kind. I lived in a city in The Philippines. My parents are of a different job from abroad, which I don't know about." Enterprise listened as I continued to talk about living in The Philippines, my life as a gamer before and lastly, about my new hobby here about target practices.

She's surprised a bit at the last part as she looked again at me and asked, "You're also using a bow? I can teach you more of it if you want. I've never seen a commander wielding a bow in his free time before." That was a bit unexpected from her, offering something to me.

"That's great. Thanks for the offer. I really need some adjustments and improvement on my target shooting skills. It's pretty hard to do it alone. How about when I have a lot of free time? Is that okay to you?"

Enterprise nodded happily and smiled again. Yeah, I still suck at my new hobby and I make some hits a few times. But even from her, I didn't told her about my minor depression. I want to keep this inside of me because if I told her that, she would say that I'm weak or anything that's against me like before.

My smile slowly turned into a frown as I finished signing the paperwork. Enterprise saw it, tilting her head in curiosity, "Is something wrong, Commander?"

Wow, she's also observant. Looks like I have a hard time hiding my minor depression from her. I looked again at her and reassured "No, nothing. I'm fine. I only feel tired but I can still keep up the work."