Chapter 15

Meliodas sneered at Rudociel, his grip tight around my waist. I turned my head to see Sariel and Tarmiel creeping up from behind and emitting a blast of light from their hands.

"Look out!" I warned, he turned and then threw me out of the way just as the blast struck his back. I slid across the floor, coming to a complete stop a few feet away from where the blast had taken place.

"MELIODAS!" I cried, scrambling to my feet. I didn't care how much my back hurt in that moment. All that mattered was Meliodas. The smoke cleared and there Meliodas stood with a large, gaping wound on his back, slowly healing over thanks to the help of his miasma.

I was about to run to him until a hand gripped my arm, yanking me back. I gasped and fell into someone, my still slightly open wounds searing with pain. I whipped my head around to see the scowling face of Rudociel.

"Let her go!" Meliodas demanded, his face twisted into a look of rage. Yet he still looked as handsome as ever. I finally noticed where the explosions were coming from. Behind Meliodas was Diane in her giant form and a suit of armor, wrecking everything in her path with a giant war hammer.

King wasn't too far from her, ordering Chastifol to cut down goddess guards left and right. Elaine was using wind to blast the guards into walls, well, more like tornadoes she conjured up. Ban was running people through with nunchucks that had strange intricate designs on it.

Gowther and Merlin were blasting the guards into oblivion. Wait. Gowther and Merlin? My eyes widened as I realized my old friends from 3,000 years ago came! I struggled in Rudociel grip, trying my absolute best to get out of his grasp.

But without my wings, I was weak. Pathetic. He jerked me backwards and I stumbled into his chest. He scooped me up into a bridal hold.

"So long, son of the tyrant Demon King!" he called. He took off into the sky, flying through the broken roof. Diane saw this and reached out to grab me but was countered by a blast of light.

I could practically feel Meliodas's dark energy flying below us and a little ways back. I squirmed, pounding against Rudociel's chest.

"Elizabeth, stop this you are going to fall!" Rudociel hissed as we soared higher and higher. I stopped for a brief moment, my eyes widening. Fall.

I squirmed harder, wriggling until his grip became loose. Then, I pushed half of my body over his arms and put my feet up on his chest. I pushed off with my heels and he went reeling back.

I fell through the air, facing the endless sky of the goddess realm. I closed my eyes and heard Rudociel shout my name, flying towards me. I knew a certain someone would catch me. I put all my faith into him. My hair whipped around the sides of my face.

Then, a warm blur hit my sides, strong arms wrapping around me and foiling Rudociel's attempt of escape. Rudociel let out a scream of frustration. I opened my eyes and was met with deep onyx orbs. I smiled and coiled my arms around his neck while he carried me in a bridal hold.

Meliodas.

He zoomed away from Rudociel, touching down at the broken chapel and surrounding us in a ball of darkness. He took this time to set me down on my feet only to immediately hug me right after, his hands clutching my back.

I managed to suppress the groan threatening to pass my lips from him touching the wounds on my back and hugged him in return. He pulled away, his hands coming up to grip my shoulders.

"Why didn't you fly?" he asked, his voice returning to normal, "or at least use your magic to fight Rudociel off?" I turned away, biting my lip and fending off tears. Meliodas's eyes narrowed.

"Elizabeth, talk to me," Meliodas pleaded, trying to search my eyes for an answer that I wasn't giving him through words. I turned to him fully, a few tears pushing past my eyes.

"I couldn't," I croaked. He held my shoulders tighter.

"You're going to need to give me more information than that-"

"Rudociel de-winged me, okay?!" I screamed, squeezing my eyes shut. I waited a little before opening them. My eyes widened.

Meliodas's demon mark had come full circle. Shit. My heart sank to my stomach as the wall of darkness slowly dissipated around us. This was very very bad. I reached for Meliodas but he stepped back, his bangs casting a shadow over his eyes.

I saw Rudociel approaching us out of the corner of my vision. He snapped his fingers, light engulfing his body before he was back in his regular armor. He used his grace to enhance his speed and zip towards us, aiming to grab me.

Not a second later, he was sent flying backwards into a wall, slamming into it and breaking it completely. Meliodas stood in front of me, darkness curling up from all around him. He was clenching his sword so hard his knuckles were turning white. At this point, it was easy to see what was happening.

Meliodas had gone into Assault Mode.