Chapter 1 The Vision

Chapter 1
In a time far away and yet unknown, mysterious figures prepared to record historical events of a time long past, but still to come.
"Sire, the portal you asked for has been established with the designated coordinates," said a dedicated servant.
"Do you have a positive scan of our subject?" asked the master.
Servant replied, "Yes my Lord. Place and time match. Young Orion is right where you said he would be. Shall we....."
Another servant suddenly interrupted, "sire, I'm picking up another distortion! Appears to be an object between us and the stream."
"Disregard. They are unable to detect us with their primitive technology," said the master, turning back to the other. "Continue on."
"Shall we begin making a record of the up coming events?" asked the first servant.
"Yes," he replied quickly.
Another servant, looking on, then remarked, " it's amazing that this boy alone would be the beginning of the salvation for his own world."
"This is a critical point in time for him," stated the master. "He is at the crossroads in his life, trying to decide what to do.
As they looked on, the boy walked across a field to his family home as a storm developed overhead. In the distance they could see his mother having stepped out of the house shouting out to him.
"Orion, hurry, a large storm is approaching fast," she said.
"I am, mother," yelled back the young Orion, running quicker. But before he could go any further, a large bolt of lightning struck him down.
"Orion!" shouted his mother in fear, leaving the safety of the porch to go to him.
After a few moments Orion picked himself up, a little dazed and shouted out to her over the long distance of the field, "I'm alright, mother!" proceeding onward towards his mother and the house.
His mother stopped, waiting at the edge of the field for him. As he reached her, she looked him over. "You don't have a single mark on you. Did the lightning not hit you?"
"I think it did," he replied, thinking. "I went all numb for a moment and fell to the ground. But that was it. Nothing else."
They both looked up at the storm watching as it moved quickly, then dissapeared within a few more minutes.
"I never seen a storm come and go like that," said his mother, looking him over again. "I also never seen anyone struck by lightning or heard of anyone being ok after it."
"It just tingled a bit mother," replied Orion.
"Well let's get in the house. Supper is almost ready," said his mother, walking with him.
The second servant looking on said, "it is quite amazing that this whole planet's society will evolve around this one boy."
"Very true," confirmed the master. "But, all it takes is that boy, his vision and determination. He just got his vision from that lightning storm, when it struck him. Now he must act upon it. If he doesn't, it will be the end. An invasion force, light years away, has already left to conquer Earth, but is traveling at sub light speed. It will be close to 30 years before they arrive."
As the they reached the house, Orion looked up at his mother saying, "I think I saw a glimpse of the future when the lightning struck me."
"Oh," said his mother. "Now why would you think that."
"Everything was different in the world," he replied. "I commanded a fleet of ships in space, battling aliens of all kinds. I also glimpsed many other things as well."
"Now that is quite the imagination you have there," she said, looking him over once more for any injury, finding none. "Are you sure you're alright?"
"I'm very serious, mother," urged Orion, pleading for her to believe him. "It was like I was living in the future. So much of it was changed. I glimpsed everything from now till I start getting old."
His mother looked at him again, with the expression on his face and said, " you're not kidding around, are you? You're really serious."
"I am, mother. I will become the most powerful man on the Earth," said Orion.
"Well if you do, don't you forget your poor old mother," she said with a bit of a chuckle.
"How could I ever forget you mother?" he queried.
"I was just saying," she replied, happy to know he found his direction in life.
The next day, the young boy went to his computer, immediately beginning researching all the technology that was available to him. Then he went to his father and asked, "could you drive me to the library. I need to do some research on stuff."
"Of course I can," his father replied, getting out of his chair and heading to the door. "I assume you have some big research to do for school?"
"Not entirely. It is for school, but not for right now," replied Orion as they both got into the old classic F-150, his father recently restored.
"Well as long as it doesn't intrude on your farm chores, son. What are you planning on researching?," his father then asked.
"Business, economics, biology, chemistry and all new technology theories," said Orion.
His father looked at him, smiled and said jokingly, "plan on making the farm a big business are you?"
"Yes, something like that. But also a lot more," he replied, his mind swirling with ideas as he looked at the interior freshly redone.
"Well if you plan on making us all rich, then I won't stop you," said his father still joking.
Orion looked up at him and said, "takes a lot of money to build and design spaceships."
His father looked down at him, not knowing what to say. But he smiled patted him on the head and said, "son, you seem to have big dreams, don't give up on them."
"If I give up on them, it will mean the end of freedom as we know it on our planet," said Orion. "I need to learn all this to make the farm better, to learn what the world needs and to come up with inventions that people really need."
"For a 10 year old, you sure have a lot of ambition, son," said his father still smiling at him.
"I plan to ensure all four of us are well off," said Orion.
"All four?" questioned his father.
"Yes. You, mother, Japhia and myself," replied Orion.
"Japhia? Is that a girlfriend of yours?" asked his father.
"No, silly. My sister," replied Orion.
Looking down at Orion questionably, his father said. "you don't have a sister."
"Not yet, but someday soon I will," replied Orion. "She will run the business when I am away."
"So you can tell the future now," said his father  with disbelief on his face. "What's going to happen next week?"
"It don't work that way, father. I can see the events, but I don't know when they will happen," said Orion.
"Well we will see," said his father.
Touching the carefully remolded dash Orion asked, "why did you fix this old thing up? Couldn't you just buy a new one instead?"
"Why, there is nothing wrong with this old girl. She's been around a very long time," replied his father.
"Well, there is no air conditioning for one. I also have to use this handle to make the window go up and down," said Orion.
"Son, this was one of the last few trucks they made, before they started putting all that fancy electronic stuff into vehicles. If we got hit by an electromagnetic pulse, this old truck would keep on running, while everyone else's vehicle would quit cold turkey," replied his father.
"Really?" questioned Orion.
"Yes, son. Sometimes the best things are the simplest things," began his father. "When a piece of electronics goes on one of them newer vehicles, it costs a small fortune to have it repaired. And it has sensors all over it that anything can go wrong at any time."
"It sounds like they don't make stuff to last," remarked Orion.
"That's not far from the truth. Everything is made cheap. But it gives plenty of work to many who are mechanics," said his father.
"When I start designing stuff, I will make them to last a long time," said Orion.
"To do that will cost extra. Plus someone will be out there trying to reverse engineer it," said his father.
"Reverse engineer? What is that?" asked Orion.
"Reverse engineering is when someone takes an unknown product of someone else's, disassembling it, to find out how it works, in order to be able to duplicate then sell something similar after," explained his father.
"Isn't that stealing someone's idea?" asked Orion.
"In a sense, yes it is. But that is why people get patents on their ideas. But the patent does not cover when someone makes something similar to do the same job," replied his father.
"That's really not fair to someone who works hard to design something and someone else makes money from the initial design," mumbled Orion to himself. "I'm going to change that."
"Change what son?" asked his father.
"Change that no one will be able to reverse engineer someone else's creation," replied Orion. "I just got to figure out how."
"The only way would be to rig it so that it would self destruct," commented his father. "But that is against the law to make something that could potentially hurt someone."
"Hmmmm," pondered Orion starring out the door window.
When they finally arrived at the Olemonte Public Library, Orion exited the vehicle, walking in quickly. His father, waved to him as he drove off, returning home. Inside, he looked at the librarian sorting the books, then went up to the catalog computer.
"Well young man," began the librarian, having come over to see if he needed assistance. "It's a rare occasion when we get anyone as young as you come in here. Is there anything you are looking for?"
Looking up at her he replied, "yes, I need to find out about all the latest theoretical marvels. Also is there somewhere I can find a list of scientific gadgets people wished were a reality?"
"That's certainly a strange request. But I think part of that, you can find over there in section G," answered the librarian pointing in the relevant direction.
"Thanks," said Orion, proceeding into the direction.
Following, the librarian asked, "are you doing some kind of school project?"
"In a way it is. But it's more to prepare me for school later on. I want to find out what kind of things would make this planet a better place," replied Orion.
"Well, one thing that would make this a better place, is if everyone had their own fusion generators during winter. With the cost of electricity these days and the ban on burning wood or fuels for heat in our homes, it's gotten quite out of hand," said the librarian.
"Fusion generators? Hmmm, that could make a person a lot of money if they began making them," said Orion.
"I'll be one of the first few people to buy one if they come out," said the librarian.
"I'll give you the second one I make, once I figure out how," said Orion.
"Now isn't that sweet of you," said the librarian. "But how do you know you can make one?"
"I don't yet, but I will figure it out," replied Orion. "Fusion generators will be required in the future, by being a key source of power aboard spaceships."
"Spaceships?" questioned the librarian. "Is this research meant to build spaceships?"
"Eventually it will lead to building them. But for now, it's about making stuff people need, in order to make money to build a big business, that can eventually fund a space fleet," replied Orion, enthusiastically looking through various books and magazines.
"Well young man, you have quite the big dreams there. It's nice to see someone like you in here for a change," said the Librarian.
Stopping and looking up at her he said, "miss, my name is Orion."
"Orion you say. Like the constellation," said the librarian.
Pausing to think, he then said, "yes I think so."
"Well my name is Clara."
"Nice to meet you miss Clara," said Orion.
"If you need anything else, just let me know," said Clara.
"If you find anything else not here that I am looking for, could you save them for me?"asked Orion.
"I can do that for you. Will you be here long?" asked Clara.
"Everyday I hope," said Orion.
A short while after, when Orion's father returned back home, he found his mother and said to her, "Orion has the darndest ideas in his head these days. He thinks he is going to have a sister."
Stopping what she was doing, dropping what she had in her hand she said, "Whaaat?"
"Honey, you look like you seen a ghost," said Orion's father.
"Jakob, I only just found out while you were gone. The doctors office called saying I was pregnant. They believe it could be a girl, but have to confirm more tests."
His eyes suddenly opening wide Jakob said,"Melissa, are you sure?"
"I've had a feeling for a few days now but haven't been certain," said Melissa.
"But how could Orion know?" questioned Jakob.
"Ever since that strange lightening hit him, he seems to think he knows things that are yet to come," replied Melissa.
"So we are going to have a daughter named Japhia?" said Jakob.
"Japhia? Did he also tell you that?" asked Melissa.
"Yes. Why do you ask?" said Jakob.
"I was telling myself before if we ever had a daughter, I would like to call her Japhia," replied Melissa, now sitting down. "Jakob, I think we really need to take that boy more seriously."
"I was just telling myself the same thing," said Jakob sitting down.
Orion made good on his promise. Nearly everyday, he tried to visit the library. Everyday, Clara had something new for him to look at. Orion, a very fast reader, would go through a couple books daily, or go through numerous magazine archives.
When summer was over, he returned to school, feeling quite out of place. He had self taught himself so much that his current grade was no longer acceptable to him. With that, he met with the teacher one day to discuss it.
"Miss Enright, I have a problem," said Orion.
"Oh? What is your problem?" asked Miss Enright.
"Your class is boring. I'm not learning anything new," replied Orion.
"Boring? Now, Orion, who do you think you are coming to me saying that?" asked Miss Enright. "I know you are doing excellent, but you can't already know everything."
"It's true. I'm dying of boredom. Everything you are teaching me I already know. I need better challenges than this," said Orion.
Looking him in the eye, she observed he seemed genuine in what he was saying and said, "I'll tell you what then. You have all the class books that will take you through the year. I will prepare all the tests that are to come, for you to write on Friday. Anything that is on them will be in all your books. If you can ace all the tests, we will talk about what we can do for you. Is that a deal?"
"It's a deal," replied Orion.
"Good. Then for the rest of the week, you can go to the back of the class and study up. When I have questions to ask about what the class is learning, I expect you to answer if no one else can," said Miss Enright.
And so it was that, that week, Orion worked hard, proving to his classmates he was a genius when it came to the general knowledge the teacher was teaching. On the Friday morning, Miss Enright had a stack of papers , the entire years exams to come, ready, with a table at the front right side of the class ready for him to do all his testing. Orion, with only his pen in his hand sat down, beginning all his tests.
Miss Enright, while still teaching the class, peered in on him every now and then to see how he was doing. To her surprise, he was doing well. By the end of the day, still unfinished, but with a few more to go, Orion stayed after class to finish up.
Out in that hall, Miss Enright, whispering to the teacher that taught the next grade up said, "it's just amazing. I didn't think it possible, but every time I checked up on him he was doing well. I've never seen a child so brilliant as that. There was even one instance, he corrected a mistake that was made in one of the questions."
"So are you telling me, that next week he could be in my class," asked the other teacher, Mr Carson.
"I'm starting to think so," replied Miss Enright. "I won't have anything to teach him, where as, the next step would be for you to take him in your class."
"My class is a bit more complicated than yours. He will have to play catch up," said Mr Carson.
"I doubt that will be a problem," replied Miss Enright.
"Are you saying that my class will be too easy for him as well?" asked Mr Carson.
"What I'm saying, is, that boy is a quick learner. Nothing is beyond his capabilities," said Miss Enright. "I would suggest you prepare all the reading material for him, then have the years tests ready for him to take in a weeks time."
"If he can pass all your tests and then all mine in a weeks time, then I won't deny we have a genius among us," said Mr Carson.
"I will keep you informed over the weekend. But preliminary evidence is suggesting it. I plan to take the weekend to grade all his tests carefully," said Miss Enright.
"Have you spoken to principal McNabb about him yet?" asked Mr Carson.
"No I haven't. I have yet to talk to his parents about this as well. I plan to do so when I drop him off at home, once he is finished," said Miss Enright.
When Orion finished the last test, Miss Enright collected them all, placing them in her work bag, then proceeded to drive Orion home. Upon arrival she went into the house with Orion.
"Mother, I'm home," shouted Orion through the house. "My teacher is also here and wants to talk to you."
Within a minute Melissa arrived at the door to greet Miss Enright.
"Mrs Zeenner, so glad to finally meet you," said Miss Enright.
"It's a pleasure to meet you also Miss....?" said Melissa.
"It's Daniella Enright."
"Such a lovely name. You can call me Melissa. To what do I owe this visit from you?"
"I came to talk to you about Orion," replied Daniella.
"Oh? Has he done something wrong?" asked Melissa.
"No, on the contrary. At the beginning of the week he expressed to me, that he didn't feel right being in my class. That I had nothing to teach him. So I decided to give him till this morning to prepare and gave him all the tests for the year to do. From what I have observed, so far, he seems to be right. I have yet to go over the tests fully, but early indications say he got all the answers right," said Daniella.
"He had expressed his boredom to me, of his class. I suggested he talk to you about it. I see that he did," said Melissa.
"Then you aren't surprised?" asked Daniella.
"Nothing surprises me anymore with him," said Melissa.
"You're serious about this aren't you," said Daniella.
"Had you come to me a year ago and said this, I would have thought you crazy. But ever since that lightening hit him early in the summer, that boy's only concern is learning more and more," said Melissa.
"Lightening? He got struck by lightening?" asked Daniella.
"Yes, it was the most freakish storm that came and went fast," said Melissa.
"Was he hurt?" asked Daniella.
"I feared the worst when I saw it happen. But he got back up, said he had a tingly feeling and his head was suddenly swimming with future knowledge," said Melissa.
"So this is all recent happenings. This does explain why he seemed normal last year," said Daniella.
"In this household currently, anything he asks for we give it to him now. So far it's all been about learning. He spends a lot of his spare time at the library now as well," said Melissa.
"Well his learning curve is seemingly off the charts," said Daniella. "And if he aces all his tests, I plan to recommend he be placed in the next grade up. And if the sixth grade teacher Mr Carson deems it so, we will send him up to the seventh grade and so on."
"Time will tell won't it," said Melissa.
"Indeed it will. But tell me, what is all this future knowledge you said he was swimming in?" asked Daniella.
"Whatever that lightening did to him, he received visions of all kinds of the future. He even knew he was going to have a sister before I myself knew. He also knew what I was going to name her," said Melissa.
"You're pregnant?" asked Daniella.
"Going on four month's now," replied Melissa.
"Congrats," said Daniella.
"Thank you," said Melissa.
"But tell me, what else did he foresee?" asked Daniella.
"He talks about him having a vast business empire and building a fleet of spaceships. He says that there are approaching aliens, who plan to try to conquer our planet. He also claims that we will have a very brief planetary war as well," replied Melissa.
"That seems to be a lot on his plate," said Daniella.
"That would be an understatement," said Melissa. "The boy never plays, or watches TV. He does his chores, then does all kinds of research."
"Where does he do all this research?" asked Daniella.
"Most of it he does at the library. The librarian has taken it upon herself to help him out as well," said Melissa.
"You wouldn't by any chance be referring to Clara Williams, would you?" asked Daniella.
"In fact it is," replied Melissa.
"I had heard there was a boy she was helping do research. I never thought it could have been one of my students, least of all Orion," said Daniella.
"Well the world is full of surprises. Orion just happens to be our surprise," said Melissa.
"Will he be going to the library today?" asked Daniella.
"As soon as he finishes his chores he will likely be going," replied Melissa.
"If it's all the same, would you mind if I take him this time" asked Daniella.
"I don't see why not. But he will be close to an hour," replied Melissa.
"I don't mind waiting. I can keep myself busy going over all his tests," said Daniella. "That is if you don't mind me waiting here."
"Not at all. I'll make some tea if you are interested in a cup," said Melissa.
"That would be excellent," replied Daniella, reaching into her bag to look over the first of the tests.
The hour went by quickly, then Daniella drove Orion to the library. Upon arrival, they entered, Clara catching sight of the two together, going over to greet them.
"Daniella, how nice to see you again," greeted Clara.
"Miss Clara, you know my teacher?" asked Orion.
"Your teacher?" repeated Clara looking at her friend Daniella.
"Guilty as charged," answered Daniella. "You didn't tell me this was your research companion."
"I didn't think you would know him," replied Clara.
"I just found out myself an hour ago," replied Daniella.
Having watched the two of them talk for a minute, Orion moved off to his normal library activities and left the two to chat.
"He's quite the little brain child I must say," said Clara.
"I'm hoping to confirm that this weekend. He wrote his entire years tests today. I have yet to grade them," said Daniella.
"The whole year? Is that allowed?" asked Clara.
"To be honest, there is no rule that says he can't. If he aces them, he will be transferred to the next grade, where he may yet undergo the same process, moving on to grade seven in another weeks time," said Daniella.
"And to think, I am partially responsible for helping him achieve this," said Clara.
"I was thinking as much. But what all have you been helping him with?" asked Daniella.
"Pretty much anything he needed help with. Some of it being to find certain material references, explaining him the meaning of certain things and directing him into a direction that doesn't skip anything important," replied Clara.
"So basically you are like his teacher, tutor, and research assistant," said Daniella.
Pondering a moment first Clara then replied, "when you put it that way, yes."
"Well he couldn't be in better hands," said Daniella.
"I mostly only guide him to the information. The rest he does himself," said Clara.
"Yes, that is apparent," said Daniella.
"If I might ask, what brings you here with him?" asked Clara.
"When his mother mentioned he was coming here to do his research, I wanted to see him in the process of doing so, to get a better understanding of him," replied Daniella.
"Well, to tell you the truth most of the time it's boring watching him, until he starts running around looking for a reference to something," said Clara.
"That will be interesting to watch. But the main goal is to also help determine what I can do to help him further succeed in his education. We may end up sending him to high school before Halloween," said Daniella.
"He would be the youngest high school student ever," said Clara.
"What worries me more, is how he will be received by the teenagers, when they find out he's smarter than them," said Daniella.
"That could pose to be a really big problem. But it can go in two different ways. They can accept him, doing nothing. Or not like him and bully him," said Clara.
"That is, if he stays there. We still have to ascertain his brilliance," said Daniella.
"From what I have seen in here, he could be ready for college," said Clara.
"Oh, what makes you think that?" asked Daniella.
"Many of the reference manuals he has been reading, are college grade," replied Clara.
"That would explain a lot," said Daniella, pondering. "How long does he typically stay for?"
"Usually till closing time," replied Clara.
"That's a bit late for him, isn't it?" asked Daniella.
"It's the time his father usually picks him up at," said Clara.
"I didn't know they let him stay up so late," said Daniella.
"When he first started coming, his father was always here much earlier. But Orion always pleaded with him to stay longer. Eventually, he started coming at closing," said Clara.
"It seems, when it comes to research and reading, they indulge him," said Daniella.
"Well, for what its worth to you, he is learning far more than anyone I know. The amount of information I have seen him go through is quite astounding. The pace that he can read at, is also very impressive," said Clara.
"Did he happen to mention to you he was struck by lightning, earlier in the summer?" asked Daniella.
"Struck by lightning? No, not at all," replied Clara.
"Seems this all started after he was. According to his mother, he began getting many visions, along with having a boost in knowledge it seems," said Daniella.
"But how could lightning increase his mental functions like this? Every case I have ever heard of, the person had either died , or had a lowered mental capacity. This just doesn't fit a regular lightning strike," said Clara.
"The stranger part of it," began Daniella looking out at Orion. "His mother said it was a freak storm. One minute there was clear sky, the next minute, a severe storm was upon him, struck him, then a few minutes later was gone again."
Clara looked at her for a moment then said, "that almost sounds like it could have been some kind of divine intervention. If it's destiny given to him, he likely will do everything he said he's seen. If he does, I hope he keeps his promise to me."
"Promise? What promise did he give you?" asked Daniella, her curiosity peaking.
"Well, when he spoke of wanting to know what would make the planet a better place, I joked about wanting a fusion generator. He said that making those would make him a lot of money. I told him if he did figure it out, I would be the first to buy one. He then said to me he would give me the second one he builds," recounted Clara.
"A fusion generator? The best scientists can't even develop it. Do you think he will manage to develop and perfect the technology?" asked Daniella.
"I think he will. He said they would be required for all the spaceships he would build. But that, I think is a bit much. No company out there, that i know of, has the resources to build any spaceship, or the technology for that matter," said Clara.
"I guess we will have to wait and see what comes out of it," said Daniella.
"I'm hoping for the fusion generator myself. It would be very beneficial to my family, to have our own power source rather than rely on the electric company that has been gouging us the last decade," said Clara.
"I know what you mean. If he is going to succeed in building one, I may get in on getting the third one he produces," said Daniella.
Looking at her with surprise, Clara asked, "now how do you expect to accomplish that?"
"I'm going to do just like you. Help him in every way possible," replied Daniella with a serious facial look. "If it never comes to be, however, I will still have helped him greatly with his education."
"Well, that's certainly one way to look at it," said Clara.
"I have a lot of funny feelings that tells me he won't let us down," said Daniella.
"Out of curiosity, how much do you think a fusion generator would cost, once they get on the market?" asked Clara.
"Far more than a cheap automobile, that's for sure. I would have to guess, that twenty thousand could be a starting price. But it would have to depend on how much power it can produce," said Daniella.
"It would have to at least produce a terawatt to be efficient," said Orion, suddenly appearing next to them. "I assume you were talking about a fusion generator."
"Ummm, yes we were. We were discussing how they would be useful and what one would cost," said Clara.
"You really think one could be sold for twenty thousand?" asked Orion.
"I think it's a place to start at," replied Daniella looking at him directly. "But you also have to factor in materials, your time to build it, as well as the time it's taken to research and develop it. After you do that, you average a price for them."
"Could you help me to figure it all out?" asked Orion.
"Only if you promise to sell me one at a very low price," said Daniella.
"What if I just give you one so you can also show everyone you know. This way you would begin sales for me," said Orion.
"You would give me one, just for helping you?" asked Daniella.
"You have been kind and helpful to me already. I think you would deserve one," said Orion.
"Well isn't that sweet of you," said Daniella, patting him on the head. "Tell you what, Clara and I will help you with anything you need from now on, so long as anything new you develop, we both get the first ones."
"Ummm, does that mean you would find me what I need to make anything that I try to make?" asked Orion.
"I think we could do something of the sort," replied Clara.
"Thank you both. It means a lot to me," said Orion very gratefully.
"It would mean far more for the two of us, if you managed to make the fusion generator, as you said you will," said Daniella.
"Oh, I'll make it for sure. I have no doubts about that. I just have to figure out the equations for the fusion process. That's the hardest part. The rest will be easy,"said Orion.
"You just need the fusion equations?" questioned Daniella.
"Yeah. Without those, I won't be able to calibrate the compression fields required for the process. Building most of the rest will be simple," explained Orion.
"Equations? That's all you need?" said Clara, looking at him puzzled.
"Uh huh," replied Orion looking at her.
"If that's all you need, why are you doing so much research?" asked Daniella.
"I was hoping somewhere I would be able to find the equations. But no one seems to have figured it out. Plus I also wanted learn a lot about metal working and crafting, the different processes they have and all that stuff," replied Orion.
"So are you saying you know how to build a fusion generator already?" asked Clara.
"Yeah I do. I saw how to do it in my visions. But the visions didn't give me the equations I need to make it work properly," replied Orion.
"Orion, instead of worrying about the equations, why don't you start building it. Then you can experiment with what you have to calibrate it properly," said Daniella.
"But if it's not calibrated properly, it could create a big explosion," said Orion.
"How about you built it, then I'll try and help you with the calibration equations after when it's ready," said Daniella.
"Well, if I'm going to build it now, I need a lot of different parts to make it with," said Orion.
"What will you need?" asked Clara.
"I'll need lots of things. But I don't think you can buy a lot of it in the stores," said Orion.
"Tell you what. Tomorrow is my day off as you know. Daniella can pick me up at home, then we can pick you up where you live, as she knows where. Then all three of us will go out and look for what you could possibly need. I have a few ideas of where we can go to find stuff that you could possibly use," said Clara.
"You really mean this?" asked Orion.
"I do. And if you don't find what you need in one place, we will find other places to go, until everything you need you have," said Clara.
"Alright, it's a deal," said Orion, looking at the wall clock. "But it's still too early right now. Father won't be here till later to pick me up."
"I'll take you back home, if you wish," said Daniella.
"You will?" said Orion.
"I will," replied Daniella looking back at Clara.
The next morning, Orion was up bright and early. He ate quickly, did he chores, then waited for Daniella and Clara to arrive.
Seeing him just sitting outside doing nothing his mother came over and asked, "what's the matter? Why are you just sitting here?"
"Nothing. I'm waiting for my teacher and miss Clara to pick me up," replied Orion.
"To pick you up? What for?" asked Melissa.
"They promised to take me to get stuff I need, to begin building a fusion generator," replied Orion.
"A fusion generator? What on earth? Do you even know how to build it?" asked Melissa.
"I do. I just don't know how to calibrate it. My teacher said she would help when the time comes," replied Orion.
"Is that so?" said Melissa, looking at him with some disbelief.
"Its the truth," said Orion.
Just then a large truck pulling a large trailer came down the lane.
"I don't recognize that truck. I wonder who that is," said Melissa.
"It's awfully big, but not a cattle trailer of any kind that I know of," said Orion watching it get closer and closer. As the passenger side of the truck came up, Orion saw Daniella. "It's my teacher."
Opening the door, Daniella asked, "are you ready to go?"
"I am. But, why do you have a big truck and trailer with you? And who is the man driving? I thought it was going to be just you, me and miss Clara," said Orion.
"This is my husband Jake. The other man in the back is Tom, Clara's husband. They might be needed to lift heavy objects," replied Daniella.
"Heavy objects? What kind of heavy objects?" asked Orion.
"That is yet to be seen," replied Daniella.
Interrupting, Melissa said, "Daniella, could I have a word with you in the house?"
"Uh yes, certainly," replied Daniella following Melissa.
Once inside Melissa asked, "what is going on? Where are you taking him?"
"We are going to take him to numerous scrap yards around the region, so that he can find anything he needs to build his fusion generator," replied Melissa.
"Scrap yards?" repeated Melissa.
"Its the only place we can think of where he can possibly find all that he could need, without having to go to a manufacturer, to have everything made," said Daniella.
"You're actually going to help him build this?"questioned Melissa.
"No, he will build it on his own. When the time comes, I will help him to calibrate it, to make it work, if we can that is. No one has ever built one before. If my feeling is right, we will succeed, making history right here on your farm," replied Daniella.
"And what do you get out of all this?"asked Melissa.
"Recognition as the teacher who helped him with his endeavor. Also he promised me the third fusion generator he builds," replied Daniella.
"The third one? What about the first or second one?" asked Melissa.
"The second one is promised to Clara, the town librarian who is also helping. The first one, I am assuming will be kept here and power the farm for you," replied Daniella.
"Power the farm?" repeated Melissa thinking. "That would save us a lot of money, considering the huge rate hikes we have endured these last many years."
"I know. That is one of the reasons we are helping him with this. We also want to see an end to paying for high electricity. They have been gouging us unnecessarily for these many years now, making profits, while we suffer. If this actually works, it will give a lot of monetary relief to everyone,"said Daniella.
"You really think he will succeed?" asked Melissa.
"I'm very positive about it now. So is Clara. Our husbands on the other hand, are very skeptical of the whole idea," said Daniella.
"Well if there is any chance, I'll do what I need to, to help as well," said Melissa opening the door, returning to the truck with Daniella.
"Is everything alright?" asked Clara as they returned.
"Yes, everything is fine," replied Daniella, turning to Orion. "Are you ready?"
"I am," replied Orion.
"Great, lets go," said Daniella getting into the truck.
It was a short time later when they arrived at the first scrap yard, a place where many old appliances of all kinds could be found. They entered into the gate, stopping to talk to the owner operator then proceeded in.
"What are we doing here?" asked Orion.
"This is the first place you are going to look to find anything you could possibly need to make your fusion generator," replied Clara.
"This isn't where I expected we would be going," stated Orion.
"This is the only affordable way we can get what you need to build your first fusion generators. You should be able to find most everything you need here," said Daniella.
Getting out of the truck, Orion looked at it, then at the trailer saying, "Now I understand what the truck and trailer are for."
"Now, it's time for you to think of the generators, what you need to build them, and what could possibly be used here to make them. If you don't find everything, we have other places to go as well, including an auto wrecking yard and an electronics recycling depot," said Clara.
As Orion looked around, he didn't know what to think at first. But thinking of everything he began seeing stuff that could be disassembled and used to make portions of what he needed. By lunch time, they stopped, for a break, Clara taking out a large basket of food she prepared, laying it out on a tarp which was placed on the ground.
Having finished eating, Clara cleaned up as Orion resumed the search, the others taking and loading his finds, onto the truck. By early afternoon, the truck and trailer were partially filled, but nothing more could be found that Orion could use.
Leaving, they proceeded to an auto wrecker, where, once again he searched around finding few things he could use. Then by late afternoon, they arrived at an electronics recycling depot, where he found a lot more interesting items that could be used.
By early evening they returned to the farm, the truck and trailer full. Seeing them approach Jakob looked at the truck full of junk, scratching his head wondering what was going. They pulled up to the empty machine shed, then disembarked.
"What in tarnation is all this?" asked Jakob.
By this time, Melissa had come over to see them as well and said to Jakob, "It's stuff that Orion will need for his big new project," said Melissa.
"Stuff? It looks like a pile of junk to me," said Jakob turning to look at the unfamiliar faces. "Who are they with him?"
"I'm Orion's teacher," began Daniella proceeding to point out to the rest. "This is my husband Jake, my friend Clara, the librarian from the town library and her husband Tom."
"So what do you plan to do with all this crap?" asked Jakob.
"Orion said that it could be put in this building till he needs it," said Daniella.
"This is my machine shed. I have to store machinery in here once crops are in," said Jakob.
"Yes, but you can leave the one tractor out instead of having it inside all the time. It won't hurt it," pleaded Orion.
"Jakob, you don't have to keep it inside. They are made to stand the weather you know. He needs all this to make a fusion generator," said Melissa.
"A fusion generator? Are you serious?" questioned Jakob.
"You know very well that anything he says or does needs to be believed. But think of it this way, if he successfully builds it, we won't have to pay the electric company any more for power we use. We will have our own private power source," said Melissa.
Looking at everyone and thinking it over, Jakob finally said, "you all think he can do this?"
"I don't know myself, but my wife seems to think he can," replied Tom.
"So does mine," said Jake.
"We're trying to give him the opportunity to do something great here, Mr Zeenner," said Clara.
"Well, I suppose I can leave the tractor out for now," began Jakob looking at Orion. "But once cropping is done and the machinery is back in, I want you to move it all to the empty spaces around the machinery so I can park the tractor back in here for the winter."
"Yes father. Thank you," said Orion.
With everyone's help, the truck and trailer were unloaded in no time, leaving a heap of stuff piled up where the tractor belonged. Afterwards Melissa invited the four of them in for diner before leaving.
The next day, Orion began sorting through some of the stuff, taking what he immediately needed out, bringing it to the workshop. He began the process of tearing apart many things, then turning them into something new using the limited tools he had.
On Monday morning, before classes started, Daniella met with Principal McNabb and Mr Carson regarding Orion's tests. He had aced them all. She suggested he be put into Mr Carson's class, then given the week to prepare to also do the year's tests.
With unanimous agreement, Orion moved to the next grade then the week after to the following grade, continuing this cycle till he was transferred to the high school. There, one by one he was given the text books for each class to be taken. After a weeks time, testing was done. Each time he successfully completed each, pushing him to take the tests of all other classes, out of which history, geography, and home economics, he seemed to have trouble with. All others passing with flying colors.
By late February, under special conditions, Orion received his high school diploma, leaving him from then, through the summer, with free time to work on his project, before he would be enrolled into college at such a young age.