Chapter 2 Great Beginnings

For month's leading into summer, Orion made great strides. Every weekend, Daniella and Clara also came to visit him to see how his progress was coming along. By late spring, working tediously everyday, it finally came time for Daniella to help with the calibration. Having consulted with many, she felt she was ready for this, the two proceeding to attempt to make it work.
"Well it's now or never," said Daniella.
"We should stand far back, in case it explodes," said Orion.
"How many drops of fuel did you put in it?" asked Daniella.
"Only the one. I figured if it's going to explode it had better not have too much to do so, limiting the amount of energy it can release," replied Orion.
Having set up the generator in the middle of a field Daniella looked around and saw a nearby deep ditch. "Perhaps we should get down in the ditch over there for protection in case it does."
They both go in, then Orion said, "are you ready?"
"Press the switch," replied Daniella.
As he did they both pressed themselves against the ground tightly, closing their eyes as well. After several moments passed, Orion finally lifted his head out of the ditch to look at the generator.
"Do you think it's working?" he asked.
"Hard to tell from this distance. We should have set up a lamp post next to it with another remote switch to transfer power," said Daniella.
"I guess there is only one way to find out," said Orion, getting out of the ditch and running over to it. "It sounds like it's working."
Just then, it powered down. The drop of fuel had run out.
Arriving as well Daniella said, "how do you know it's working?"
"It's off now. I think it ran out of fuel," said Orion.
"Already?" said Daniella surprised.
"It was only a single small drop," reminded Orion.
"True that," agreed Daniella. "Perhaps we should take it back to the barn, and hook it into the power grid, through the backup generator lines and disconnect the hydro lines. That would be the ultimate test."
"Agreed," said Orion.
In a short time they were back at the barn. They left the generator on the wagon, filled the fuel reservoir up, powered it back up, disconnected the hydro power then connected it to the farms power lines. In moments, the entire farm came back alive.
Having wondered why there was a power outage, both Jakob and Melissa came out to see what was going on. Before they got far, they could hear and see the power back. Seeing Orion and Daniella, they both came over to them, wondering what they were doing.
Seeing the generator hooked into the main lines Jakob asked, "Is that thing powering the farm?"
"Indeed it is," replied Daniella enthusiastically. "It's current output is registering at one point seven three percent of maximum power."
"Is that good?" asked Melissa.
"I would say it is, depending on what all you have operating at the moment," said Daniella.
"It's milking time, so there is a great deal of power being used by the parlor," replied Jakob.
"I'm currently baking and have the oven on in the house," said Melissa.
"It's registering seventeen kilowatts being currently used," said Orion.
"That's a lot of power being used up at one time," said Daniella.
"This is a farm and it does have a large consumption rate," said Jakob.
"Is the generator going to remain connected and continue to power the farm?" asked Melissa.
"It can, mother. We don't have to disconnect except to move it off the wagon, to a more permanent location," replied Orion.
Suddenly thinking, Daniella asked, "Melissa, didn't you recently give birth?"
"I did," replied Melissa suddenly thinking. "Oh, I left Japhia all alone. When you're done, come in for diner," she said running off.
"So we leaving it on the wagon?" asked Jakob.
"We can for now father. But we will need to give it shelter before it rains on it," said Orion.
"Well maybe tomorrow we'll build it a shed to stay in," said Jakob. "With the money were going to save, I can easily afford to buy a bit of lumber and plywood."
Turning to Orion, Daniella said, "you know, this generator produces a lot of power. You could easily provide the neighbors with power at a very cheap rate."
"We could, but that would mean installing some power lines,"said Jakob.
"If memory serves me right, the lines over your property you own. You could take them down then lead them over to your next door neighbor," said Melissa.
"You're quite right about that. I think I will do that if one of the neighbors wishes to buy power from us," said Jakob.
Turning back to Orion, Daniella asked, "how long do you think it will take you to build a second one?"
"I made a lot of spare parts as I went along. It was easier to do that when I was making each than to have to later redo the entire setup just for one. I can have another ready in a couple weeks time," replied Orion.
"Then you will have one ready for myself in about a month's time?" asked Daniella.
"Perhaps you should have the second one and not the third," said Orion.
"You promised Clara the second one. You should keep that promise," said Daniella.
"But you have been helping me more," said Orion looking up at her. "But alright, she can have the second one, once it's ready."
Two weeks passed before Daniella returned. Expecting to see a new generator ready, instead she found him working on two more rather than just the one.
"Orion, you're working on two?" said Daniella.
"It was easier to do two rather than one," replied Orion.
"Well you seem to be doing well with two. When do you expect to have them done?" asked Daniella, looking them both over.
"I think a few more days, if all goes well," replied Orion.
"I was talking to my neighbors about the fusion generator that I would have one soon, which would generate an enormous amount of power. All of them are keen on removing themselves from the electric grid. They want to hook up to the generator you give me. They also said they would donate to us fifty dollars each per month, to help you to keep making more, as well as the fuel you need to refine for it," said Daniella.
"Fifty dollars each? How many neighbors?" asked Orion.
"Just the ones closest. The ones either side, and three behind," replied Daniella.
"That's two hundred and fifty dollars each month. That will help a lot to buy more tools that I could really use," said Orion.
"I thought you would be thrilled to hear that. Clara has also talked to her neighbors as well. They may also do the same. But once the generator is in place, more of my neighbors may want to join in. Fifty dollars is also nothing compared to the three to four hundred they already pay the electric company," said Daniella.
"Father says the electric company are thieves. He said that in the last ten years the cost for power for the farm has more than doubled," said Orion.
"He is right. They are thieves. Ever since it was fully privatized, they have been raising the price every year a lot. They say it's because of the cost of producing it. But I see their men drive new trucks every year," said Daniella.
"Father said he would set aside half the money he was paying to them for me to buy new tools that I could use. He's really happy not to have to pay them anymore, so is our neighbor next door," said Orion.
"You're providing them with power as well?" asked Daniella.
"Yes. Father went to see Mr Griffin and asked if he would be interested in much cheaper power. Mr Griffin couldn't give me money directly for it, but he said that whatever tools or supplies I needed, he would buy for me, then claim as a farm expense," said Orion.
"Yes, I can see why he would have to do that, as a business. We aren't allowed to sell power to anyone, but making donations is ok. In Mr Griifin's case, the tools would be considered as part of the maintenance to keep the generator going," said Daniella.
"Why is everything so complicated like that?" asked Orion.
"The electric company is licensed to sell the power and takes a big responsibility to ensure everyone has power all the time. They are under certain guidelines to provide everyone with power, which also makes them the sole distributors," said Daniella.
"I think it's stupid for it to be like that," said Orion.
"Many people would agree with that," said Daniella.
"Well, I'm going to do something about it," said Orion.
"You already have started. By taking away some of their business, making the lives of us few a lot better," said Daniella, pondering a little. "But until we get you a license to sell these, we have to be very cautious about what we do."
"Father said Mr Taylor on the other side of our farm, who is further away, might want one of the next few generators I make," said Orion.
"Well keep in mind, you can't sell it to him. Not yet anyway. For now you might want to do the same arrangement as you have for Mr Griffin," said Daniella.
"Father said he would do something to compensate us," said Orion.
"I think once we have these two generators installed, we should think about making you a better shop in which you can work in. It would likely speed things up a lot faster and also give you more space as well," said Daniella.
"Father said the same thing the other day. He said he couldn't do anything anymore, cause I have stuff all over the place," said Orion, thinking about something bigger.
"How much space would you need in order to be more efficient?" asked Daniella.
"I don't know. Something a lot bigger would be nice, so that I don't have to always be doing new setups for each portion I make," said Orion.
"Hmmm," said Daniella leaving, going to find Jakob. Finding him in the barn she called to him saying," Jakob, can I have a moment of your time?"
"Daniella, yes, of course. What is it?" replied Jakob.
"You understand Orion needs his own, much larger workshop don't you?" asked Daniella.
"I do. Right now he is always in the way when I need to repair equipment," replied Jakob.
"How big of a shop do you think he would need to do all his work in?" asked Daniella.
"A lot bigger. He would almost need half of my machine shed just to do his work in. That is if there was an upper level to it," replied Jakob.
"What do you think the cost would be to build such a workshop?" asked Daniella.
"Far too much. Just the permit alone could cost thirty thousand," said Jakob.
"Oh my god! Really?" said Daniella.
"I tried once to get a permit to build a heated garage for my trucks and tractors. That's what they wanted just for the permit," said Jakob.
"But this is a farm. Can't you just build it without a permit?" asked Daniella.
"Government has satellites up there, taking pictures all the time. If they see something new, they send someone to investigate what it is. If it's a new building, they charge you for not having gotten a permit, then they make you buy the permit," said Jakob.
"That's pretty lousy of them," said Daniella.
"It is. for sure," said Jakob.
"What about an old abandoned building. Do you have one on the farm?" asked Daniella.
Thinking Jakob then said, "actually, there is the old shed down by the house. It's almost falling down now. I was going to tear it down and try to make a small garage unnoticed later on when I had money to spare," said Jakob.
"Can you show me it?" asked Daniella.
Leaving the barn they went over towards the house where the old building stood.
"There is it. It's not half the size of the machine shed but it's far bigger than my workshop," said Jakob.
"I think we could do something with it, " said Daniella.
"We?" questioned Jakob.
"I know a number of people who could help. Specifically my neighbors and Clara's neighbors, whom we will be providing power to from now on," replied Daniella.
"So in exchange for the power, you will have them come and rebuild this old shed for Orion to work in?" asked Jakob.
"Yes. But I'll need your help as well along with your neighbors, if they can help for a few days. We will need a few tractors with the shovel buckets on them," said Daniella.
"You mean loader tractors," said Jakob.
"Ummm yes I suppose I do," said Daniella.
"What do you need those for?" asked Jakob.
"To lift the whole shed up in one piece then allow us to make some bracing to hold it high up while we dig up the bottom and make a foundation," replied Daniella.
"Ah, smart thinking. Lift it make a new base then set it back down once more, keeping the original look, so to speak of," said Jakob.
"Precisely," said Daniella.
"If we are going to go to that much trouble, maybe we should put a basement in it as well," said Jakob, looking more intently at the space. "We could dig a far bigger hole, making it as big as he needs, keeping it under ground, pour a concrete top on it then cover it with stone. No one but us would know the difference."
"If you're going to make it that big, you might as well join it to the house," said Daniella.
"That might be a good idea. It will be close enough to it. It would just increase the cost of the whole project," said Jakob.
"I was joking about that," said Daniella.
"But I'm not. This way he would have a whole underground workshop, that leads into the house basement. I can get the garage I wanted as well. But like you say, we will have to do it so no one notices," said Jakob.
"Huh, what do you think it will cost to do all that?" asked Daniella.
"Likely quite a bit. Concrete isn't cheap either, as you know," said Jakob.
"A concrete plant also uses up a lot of power in it's daily use," said Daniella.
"Are you suggesting what I think you are?" asked Jakob.
"How much do you think they spend a month in electricity?" asked Daniella.
"Likely many times more than the farm does," said Jakob nodding his head.
When Monday morning arrived Jakob went out to the local concrete plant, to meet with its owners. He discussed a trade with them for a fusion generator to power their entire site in exchange for enough concrete to facilitate him. Not believing him about the generator, Jakob invited Henry to the farm to look at it.
"Well you aren't kidding are you?" said Henry the manager of the plant. "I hadn't heard of anyone successfully building one of these. You say it not only powers your farm but your neighbors as well?"
"It does. We've been off the grid for nearly three weeks now. The generator, according to my son, is producing less than five percent of it's maximum capacity at peak times. It hardly gets much of a workout right now," said Jakob.
"So you want to trade your generator for a lot of concrete in return," said Henry, looking at it. "I would be better off going right to the manufacturer where you got it from and get a new one myself."
"You are at the manufacturer," said Jakob.
"What? What do you mean I'm at the manufacturer?" questioned Henry.
"This here fusion generator was build in my work shop by my son," said Jakob.
"You're pulling my leg now," said Henry.
"Follow me. I'll show you," said Jakob leading him to the workshop opening the door. "This is my son Orion. He's in the process of completing two more, which will be installed in two neighborhoods in town later in the week."
Looking at Orion working on it, Henry said, "Who are you trying to kid. He's just a preteen boy by the looks of it. What does he know about a fusion Generator."
"Everything there is to know, mister. I'm the only one who knows how it works or how to make them," said Orion.
"Alright, you're both trying to con me now. That over there likely isn't even a fusion generator as you say. Probably some box with nothing in it," said Henry.
"If you want to see inside, I would be happy to show you," said Orion, picking up his remote tool, then going to the farm generator. He powered it down, then opened the casing, exposing it to Henry.
"So why did you shut it down for?" asked Henry looking inside it.
"It has to be closed to equalize the field containment that allows for the fusion to occur. If you open it while it is operating, you can destabilize it, possibly causing a massive explosion, that would create a large crater," replied Orion.
Henry looked at Orion saying, "you're serious about this aren't you? But where did you get the plans to build something like this?"
"I invented it myself. But my teacher helped me to calibrate it," said Orion.
"You're teacher, you say. And where is your teacher now?" asked Henry.
"She's at Olemonte Elementary school teaching right now," replied Orion.
"Teaching? Then shouldn't you be in school yourself right now?" asked Henry.
"Orion is getting ready to attend college in the fall. He received his high school diploma back in February, after he finished writing the last of the high school tests," said Jakob.
"He finished high school, at his age?" questioned Henry.
"Well if he can build a fusion generator, don't you think he was able to pass all high school exams?" stated Jakob.
"Well I suppose it reasons to. But I would still like to speak to this teacher of his," said Henry.
"Well you can find her at the elementary school. Her name is Daniella Enright," said Jakob.
A short while later, Henry arrived at the school then was directed to her class by principal McNabb who stayed while they talked.
"Miss Daniella Enright is it?" asked Henry.
"Yes," replied Daniella looking him over. "Who might you be?"
"Henry Lockwood, manager of Com Concrete," he replied.
"What can I do for you?"asked Daniella.
" I was told you were involved helping a boy calibrate a fusion generator?" said Henry.
"Oh, you must be talking about Orion," said Daniella.
"That's one hell of a smart kid," added principal McNabb.
"You both know him then?" questioned Henry.
"Know him. Heck there isn't a single person in this school that doesn't. Took him a week to pass each grade, before we sent him off to the high school. Then it took him nearly a month to do each high school grade, before he graduated," said principal McNabb.
"So he really does have a high school diploma?" asked Henry.
"That he does. We were both there when they gave it to him," said principal McNabb.
"If that's true, then he really did build the fusion generator?" asked Henry.
"Fusion generator?" said the principal surprised. "He actually managed to build it, Daniella?"
"He did. I helped him to properly calibrate, nearly three weeks ago," replied Daniella.
"How come you didn't tell me?" asked principal McNabb.
"I guess I didn't think to," replied Daniella.
"How much power does it generate?" asked principal McNabb curiously.
"He can easily power many farms with it," said Daniella.
"Many? That must be an awful lot of power generation," said principal McNabb.
"So you mean to say that was an actual fusion generator I saw at the farm, that the boy built?" asked Henry.
"It was. He's building two more as we speak, that will be ready to install in the town librarian's back yard, as well as mine," said Daniella.
"What?!?" said principal McNabb surprised. "How did you manage to get one?"
"He offered it to me for all my help," said Daniella.
"So he's giving you it?" asked Henry.
"In a sense. I won't ever have to pay another electric bill. The power will also be shared with my neighbors, who have offered to donate him some money or supplies every month to help him build more," said Daniella.
"Is that legal?" asked Henry.
"There is nothing that says a person can't help out another," said Daniella.
"That is true," said Henry.
"Daniella, would Orion be willing to donate one of his generators to the school?" asked principal McNabb.
"He would need some kind of compensation for it. It took him from early fall till a few weeks ago to build the first one, which he also made a lot of spare part for, as he went along. His time is worth something after all," said Daniella.
"I didn't think about that," said principal McNabb.
"Perhaps when he gets a few more built, he could lend one to the school till a further time comes when the school can properly purchase it, once permits and licenses are issued for him to sell them," said Daniella.
"That's why they wanted to make a trade," Henry said suddenly. "They can't legally sell them yet, but making a trade is still legal."
"Oh, did they talk to you about acquiring concrete from you?" asked Daniella.
"They did. Did you know about this?" asked Henry.
"Yes. His father and I had this discussion on Saturday. We're trying to build him a large workshop where he can continue making more fusion generators, more easily with plenty more space than in his fathers workshop," said Daniella.
"I see," said Henry pondering a moment. "I assumed the two of you came up with the idea of trading a fusion generator for all the concrete that is needed."
"It is a smart business trade. You would never have to pay another electric bill, which I assume is in the thousands every month," said Daniella.
"It is in the thousands every month. It never used to be until about fifteen years ago when they started upping the price hard," said Henry.
"Then think of it this way, you may lose a little profit in the next few months, but the gains you will have afterwards will far make up for it," said Daniella.
"Actually, when you think about it, we could also lower our price making for an increased demand for our concrete than the competitors," said Henry.
"That likely will be, until your competitors end up with their own fusion generators. But that could be a few years before they do, likely having to pay full price for one," said Daniella.
"Jakob said it would benefit us greatly. Plus we can write off the raw materials we use in the trade with them," said Henry.
"Keep in mind tho, you will be helping a young boy with the start of his business empire, likely getting future paid business from him as well," said Daniella.
"You're forgetting one other aspect, Daniella," began principal McNabb. "Henry will be the first commercial business to be using fully clean, revolutionary power. They can get to be know as the company with an environmental heart, as they would be the first."
"I never even considered that portion. I think when I get back to my office, I'll talk to my brother, about getting our other plants powered by fusion generators," said Henry. "Do you think Orion would give our company first access to his future generators?"
"I think if you talk to them now, he would gladly do this for you in trade for what we need, to get his manufacturing shop built," said Daniella.
"We?" questioned Henry.
"Oh yes we. I have a role in all of this as well," replied Daniella. "Had it not been for myself or the town librarian, he would not have started to build a fusion generator yet. We gave him the help and push to proceed on it. Now he just need to continue on with what he is doing."
"Yes, I forgot, you helped him to calibrate it," said Henry.
"Now if that's all you needed," began Daniella looking in at her class. "I need to get back to teaching. These children won't learn by themselves."
Henry returned back to the farm to meet back up with Jakob. They spent several hours discussing each others needs. When finally done an agreement was finalized, that when required Jakob would just need to call Henry up and cement trucks would be sent out right away, but that a generator would have to installed at the plant as soon as one was ready. They also made an agreement that future business from them would also come at a twenty percent discount.
When Saturday came around once again, Orion had the first two generators ready, for calibration, with more already started. Daniella and Orion first installed the one for Clara, then proceeded on to her home, setting up the second. By nights end, Daniella's neighbors began to enjoy limitless power, not having to worry about conserving as they had been.
The next day with the help of many, the shed was lifted off, moved then set back down again. With the same help of the tractors and one neighbor's backhoe, they quickly excavated the area, from where the shed stood, to the house, all the way down to the bedrock which happened to be roughly ten feet down.
Work resumed the following Saturday setting up form boards, making ready to pour the walls on the Monday when the concrete was available to get. Everyone, taking the day off work, including Daniella, principal McNabb having offered to teach her class that day, returned to help with the concrete pour which they did all at once, first pouring the floor which was merely to level out the rough rock making a flatter surface. Then as the walls were poured, they hustled quickly to get the timbers in place in order to lay the form planks and steel rods so that the ceiling/roof could be poured as they went along.
This stage remained as well till Saturday arrived when they all returned to remove the boards, spray the outside of the walls with an adhesive, to which they attached large sheets of styrofoam, not only sealing the walls from water getting in but also insulating it. Back filling then was the next step, followed by doing a large portion of the top safe for where the shed would be returned to, where they poured a higher slab of concrete to make it look like it was always there.
Meanwhile, with a new fusion generator ready, Orion and Daniella had gone to the concrete plant to install it as promised. Henry having been expecting them stood waiting for them at the main office entrance. He then showed them to the designated area for installation.
"Daniella, good to see you both here," said Henry. "I took the liberty of having a special concrete shed, with solid steel doors made for the fusion generator. It's also equipped with wiring and a breaker box as well, so that if we require we can disconnect it at a moments notice."
"You have been busy preparing," said Daniella.
"Yes we have. An item such as this must be well protected from theft, as well as anyone trying to tamper with it. We wouldn't want it to suddenly explode," said Henry.
"You seem to have done most of the work for us. All we have to do is properly calibrate it, plug your cables into it, then it's done," said Daniella.
"Yes, I wanted to make sure that power would only be down a brief time. I also wanted to witness the full operation of it right away with our plant, which is why I have a minimal amount of staff here with one electrician," said Henry.
"If you have an electrician that is even better. He can disconnect the main power grid cables once we turn the power on," said Daniella.
"That's one of the reasons he is here. The other is to monitor the effectiveness and power output of the generator, on the other side of the wall inside the plant, where we have power metres set up, along with more breakers," said Henry.
"You really have gone all out for this," said Daniella.
"Yes. It's also for the safety of the plant. Should a fire ever happen, we need to be able to cut the power as quickly as we can," said Henry.
"Do I take it that the plant itself is currently cut off from the power grid?" asked Daniella.
"Yes. The only power still flowing is just to the office," replied Henry.
Proceeding with the installation, they set up the fusion generator into its new home. When ready, Orion sealed it up then proceeded to power it up. In moments it began generating power. As Henry signaled his men, they started up all the machinery, drawing as much power as they could from the generator to see how it would function.
"This is really impressive," said Dave, the electrician. "I've never seen something so small generate so much power. From the readings on it's side, there's still plenty more that can be tapped out of it."
"So you're saying we still have plenty of surplus?" asked Henry.
"From what I see, you could operate more plants with this generator. If you install charging stations for all the employees, they could all recharge their vehicles as well," said Dave.
"If there's that much surplus, we may just do that, as a bonus for everyone," said Henry.
"This generator is simply amazing," commented Dave. "One of these could power most of my neighborhood, even without conserving,"
"Perhaps in the future, one will power you neighborhood," said Daniella.
"What does one of these go for?" asked Dave.
"There is no price on them, nor are they for sale, yet," replied Daniella.
"Not for sale?" said Dave turning to Henry. "How did you manage to get this?"
"A trade deal," replied Henry. "They required concrete and traded it to me."
"A trade deal?" said Dave looking at Daniella now. "How could I get one of these then?"
"Until we get a license and permit to sell them, we can only give them as gifts, or as a trade, such as this one," replied Daniella.
"Well the moment you can sell them, give me a call," said Dave, giving Daniella his card.
"We will keep you in mind. But right now, there are only 5 in existence," said Daniella.
"Five you say. Where are the other four?" asked Dave.
"One is at my home providing me with power and to my neighbors. Another a friend of mine has, which is doing the same. The first one built is powering his family farm," said Daniella pointing to Orion.
"That's four. What about the fifth one?" asked Dave.
"It will be going over to the school where I teach at," said Daniella.
"You're a teacher?" questioned Dave.
"I am," said Daniella.
Returning back to the farm, much of the work on the exterior was completed. The entire surface save for the shed area was covered over with stone, hiding any evidence that anything was there. The shed itself, was setup, ready to be attached to it's new floor which was raised slightly higher than the exterior ground.
With its new foundation and replacement wooden support on the bottom the old shed was given new life into a garage of sorts. On the one side a huge hole remained in the concrete floor, with steel grating surrounding all sides to cover up the existence of the lower work shop, making it appear as a work trench to do underside vehicle work.
The shop, to be mostly accessible from the house, still had plenty of work to complete it. Lighting needed to be installed as well as work benches, power outlets and the installation of a lot of equipment, which would be brought in through the garage floor hole, where fully assemble generators would also be lifted out.
Over the following week, Orion remained in his fathers workshop, till his new shop was ready. He was steadily working that Friday afternoon when he saw a group of trucks drive down their lane towards them. Fetching his father quickly, they went out to meet them.
"What can I do for you?" asked Jakob, as the men got out, some proceeding to the main grid meter box.
"If you haven't noticed, were with the electric company. We're here to turn off your power for failure to pay your bill," he said.
"Pay my bill? Now why would I pay for something that you aren't providing?" said Jakob.
"Don't play dumb with me, I can see the lights that are on. I can also hear what I presume to be the pumps in your milk house drawing power," he said.
"Ya they are, but it ain't power coming from you,"said Jakob.
He looked around at all the buildings then said, "I don't see no solar panels nor any windmills."
"Hey boss, the meter is dead, and the lines are disconnected as well," said one of the other men.
"What? What are talking about? How can that be?" he said.
"Take a look for yourself. Both cables are pulled out. This place isn't on the grid at all," he said.
"What the hell is going on here?" he said looking at Jakob. "Where are you getting your power from?"
"We generate our own power. Now if you will kinda remove yourself from my property, you are trespassing," said Jakob.
"It's illegal to generate your own power unless its solar or wind. I don't see either, which concludes you have a petroleum power generator somewhere or methane one since this is a farm," he said.
"We have a fusion generator which makes it clean," said Jakob.
"Fusion? Did you hear that boys, he said he's got a fusion generator. Have you ever heard of anyone having one?" he said.
"Mr, I told you to leave my property. Do I have to call the authorities to have you arrested for trespassing?" stated Jakob.
"Authorities you say," he said just as another vehicle came down the lane. "There's your authorities now, Mr Zeenner."
Watching the police car approach Jakob waited till he stopped and got out. "Officer, would you kindly remove all these men from my property. They are trespassing.
The officer looked at them, then back at Jakob and said, "those are men from the electric company. They called me here. You haven't paid your electric bill so they are cutting you off."
"Well they can't cut me off, if I'm not getting power from them can they?" said Jakob.
"What?" said the officer looking at the electric company men. "Is he not connected? I see lights on and hear a compressor motor."
"The lines are not connected at all," said one of the men.
"If there not connected where is the power coming from?" asked the officer.
"That's what we don't know and were trying to figure out," began the head man. "He said he's got a fusion generator. Have you ever heard of such?"
"Fusion generator?" questioned the officer looking at Jakob. "I never heard of anyone having created or perfected any kind of fusion generator. I'd like to see this generator."
Obliging, Jakob brought him over to the barn where the small generator house lay. "It's right there in that small house."
Looking at it, the officer said, "That don't look big enough to have any kind of fusion generator in it. Open it up. If it's a petroleum generator, you'll be facing fines."
Opening it up, Jakob exposed it for the officer and the electric company men to see.
One of the technicians looked at it and said," whatever it is, it's quiet and hums. It's also got a.... Holy shit! It's rated for a terawatt."
"What?" said the boss man, quickly going to look at it. "What the hell is this?"
The officer looking at it as well didn't believe it and said, "alright, lets see inside it. How do you open it up?" He pulled at what looked like a panel shaking it somewhat.
"Don't shake it. You'll upset the calibration," urged Orion.
Continuing to shake it trying to pull the panel off the calibration went severely off, causing it to begin to overload, resulting in primary shock wave that threw the officer away from it, destroying all his active electronics, pulsing out to the electric companies trucks as well.
"What the hell was that?" said the officer.
"No no no no no. I told you not to mess with it. Now it's going into overload," said Orion turning then ran off to the work shop.
"Where's he going, and what did he mean by overload?" asked the officer.
"It means you tampered with the fusion generator knocking its sensitive calibration out of whack. Now its building up a power overload," said Jakob.
"What are you talking about? This isn't Space Trek from TV you know," said the officer.
"You just messed with a fusion generator which you know nothing about, officer. What did that TV show tell you about fusion generators going into overload?" said Jakob.
"Well that an imminent thermo nuclear explosion would occur," replied the officer then looked at Jakob again. "But that's TV and fusion generators don't exist."
Just then Orion returned with his remote device, pressing the button to turn it off. "father, it's not shutting down."
"It's generating an energy field, son," said Jakob.
"A field? Yes wait a second," said Orion, holding his deactivation button and moving closer. In another moment, it began to power down, the lights going dark and the milk house pumps shutting down.
The officer seeing this happen as the generator also went quiet said, "so this was powering the barn and everything."
Looking up at him, Orion said, "and you almost killed us all with your stupidity had I not been able to shut it down."
"What exactly is in that?" asked the officer.
Pressing another switch, the large front panel automatically opened, revealing the inside of it. Everyone looked at it, not knowing what it was, nor had they ever seen the likes of it.
That isn't any petroleum generator I ever seen," said the power companies technician.
The officer looking in at it more closely asked, "what is this?"
"A fusion generator, you idiots," shouted Orion, having lost his patience.
"Whoa now son, calm yourself," said the officer looking even more closely at it. "This really is a fusion generator? Where did it come from?"
"I made it in the shop over there," replied Orion.
"You made?" said the officer in disbelief. "I want to see this shop of yours."
As Orion took him to the shop Jakob remained with the other men who were now looking at the generator more closely now. Jakob knowing better didn't let them get too close to it.
At the workshop, Orion opened the door and said, "this one is almost finished. I also have a whole lot of parts to make more laying all around."
Looking at everything, seeing that what he saw in the generator resembled the same as what was in the shop, the officer asked "You really made these? But is that possible? You only look like you're about ten years old."
"I am. I'm also a genius. Or so all my teachers said. I'm supposed to start college in the fall to get those diplomas," said Orion.
"College? You? Are you Serious?" said the officer.
"You can go to the high school and ask there. Everyone will tell you. You just have to say my name and they will all know who I am," said Orion.
"What is your name?" asked the officer.
"Orion. Orion Zeenner."
"Oh heavens boy. You're the one I've been hearing about all over town," said the officer.
"You have?" questioned Orion.
"Yes. They say you breezed through high school very fast," said the officer looking at him again and the shop. "Knowing that now and seeing your work shop, I have to believe you now when you say that's a fusion generator."
"Well we were telling you all along. And those men are trespassing," said Orion.
"Ya they are, aren't they," said the officer looking in the shop again. When do you think you will have a second one built?"
"Second one? I'm working on the sixth one now," replied Orion.
"Sixth one? Where are the other ones?" asked the officer.
"The second I gave to the librarian who helped me with a lot of my research. The third one I gave to my teacher who helped me a lot, especially to calibrate them. The fourth one I made a trade with. And the fifth one, I lent to Olemonte elementary," replied Orion.
"You lent it to the school?" questioned the officer.
"The principal asked for it. The electric company has been wanting too much money for the power they use," said Orion.
"Yeah, I know all about that," said the officer looking back at the electric company men. "I might need you to keep one for the town hall and police station, if things go bad with them."
"Goes bad? How can it go bad?" asked Orion.
"Well like you said, they are trespassing. I'm going to enforce their removal," said the officer walking back to them. "Alright, time for all of you to leave. You're trespassing here."
"What?" said the boss man looking at him. "What are you going to do about this illegal power generating?"
"There's nothing illegal here," replied the officer.
"But this can't be what's been powering the farm. They have to have some sort of petroleum or methane generator hidden somewhere," said the boss man.
"From the looks of things and my determination, there is nothing illegal going on here. But you are trespassing on their property. I have to enforce the law," said the officer.
"This is outrageous. You have to look around more," said the boss man.
"I've looked plenty. Now get in your trucks and off mister Zeenner's property now, or I will have to arrest all of you for trespassing," said the officer.
"You wouldn't dare arrest us," said the boss man.
"You just try me. You already called me out here for nothing which can be in part a felony. Now don't make things worse for yourself," said the officer.
"This isn't over with," said the boss man, signalling all his men to leave, then getting in their trucks.
After a few moments of them sitting there, the officer came over and said," what's the hold up? Are you going to leave?"
"We can't the trucks won't start," said the boss man.
"Won't start? How come?" asked the officer.
Listening on Jakob said, "E M pulse. You recall from the generator. Likely fried all their electronics in their truck."
"What? Don't tell me that," said the officer going to his car. He got in pressed the pedal then moved it ahead. Exiting he said, "my car still moves."
"That's because it's fully electric and was shut off. E M pulse won't bother it that much. But a gas motor, that was running, that's another thing altogether," said Jakob.
"Gas motor?" questioned the officer.
"Heard them coming in with it," said Jakob.
"All heavy utility truck are supposed to be hybrid with gas powered engines to recharge them on the go," said the officer.
"They're not moving, now are they?" said Jakob.
"No you're right, "replied the officer moving to truck again. "Out of the truck."
"What for?"asked the boss man.
"Out of the truck. I'm not going to ask you again," said the officer.
"Alright," he replied getting out.
Reaching in, the officer pulled the hood release, then opened the hood to look in. As he did he said, "you are in violation of several environmental laws."
"What?" said the boss man. "We're the electric company."
"I don't give a rats ass who you think you are. You're in violation of federal and international environmental laws. This is a full eight cylinder V style gas guzzling engine. This is illegal to have by all laws," said the officer.
"You're not being serious are you?" asked the boss man.
"I'm deadly serious," said the officer, now pulling out his revolver. "Now put your hands up right here and stay put." he said reaching to his radio."This is.... Oh what the hell, it's dead."
"Electronics. It's dead from the pulse," said Jakob.
"What were you going to do?" asked the boss man.
"Call for backup and have your trucks towed to impound yard and place you all under arrest, for violation of many laws," said the officer.
"You think you'll get away with that? We're from the electric company. None of those charges will stick. If you know what's best for you, you will just let us go" said the boss man.
"Oh they'll stick alright. I'll see to it myself," said the officer.
"You do this and you'll be in for a world of hurt," said the boss man.
"I'm the law here, not you. If anyone gets hurt it will be you, not me. And the fines are now increasing more and more for you. I can add threatening an officer of the law now, among all the rest," said the officer.
"You can't make that stick," said the boss man.
"I have witnesses here," said the officer.
"Who is the court going to believe the power company or a farmer and his son?" said the boss man laughing.
Suddenly the officer felt a tug on his sleeve. He looked over to see Orion. "What is it?"
"I have what he said on video," said Orion softly.
Looking at the small camera attached to his shirt the officer asked, "how long have you had that on you?"
"A grabbed it before I came back from the workshop with you," replied Orion.
"Well done, son. Now do you have a working phone I can use?' asked the officer.
"I do in the work shop," said Orion turning, running to get it.
Returning Orion gave the phone to the officer, who promptly called his police station on a direct line to the dispatcher.
"Hello Gail, captain Shiftland here. Can you send out five cars to my location. Also send out three heavy tow trucks," said the officer.
"Captain? Five cars? What on earth for?" asked Gail.
"Numerous violations of the law, including threatening an officer of the law," replied officer Shiftland.
"That's a new one. But five cars to deal with a farmer? Isn't that a little much?" asked Gail.
"Oh, it's not for the farmer at all. Just get those cars here pronto, with the tow trucks," replied captain Shiftland.
As the evening began to set in, Harold Griffin from next door came up through the field to them. He asked "what's going on Jakob. And what happened to the power?"
Officer Shiftland looked at him and asked, "was Mr Zeenner providing you with power?"
"Uh yes, he's been kind enough to share what he has with me," said Harold.
"Are you paying him for such power?"asked Shiftland.
"Uh no, not at all. I've been helping young Orion with getting stuff done for him tho as compensation," said Harold.
"So in no way have you been giving them money for the power you are receiving from them?" asked Shiftland.
"I can't do that at all. It's not an expense I can claim for farm business," said Harold.
"Very good, that's all I needed to know," said Shiftland.
Turning to Jakob, Harold asked, "what happened to the power? The cows were being milked when it went out. I need the power back on soon."
Having been listening , Shiftland said, "sorry about that, that would partially be my fault. But I don't think you can rely on getting power from the generator for a little while."
"What? But I need that power," said Harold.
"Do you have emergency backup power?"asked Shiftland.
"I do, but I can't legally use it, unless I directly lose power, due to the electric companies fault," said Harold.
"In a way, it is their fault you have no power, due to their interference and trespassing onto Mr Zeenner's property," said Shiftland holstering his gun and taking his ticket book out. "I going to write you a special permit allowing you to use your backup generator for the duration you need to finish milking your cows. Hopefully after a little while we will have the fusion generator back in operation."
"But I need my teacher to help me re-calibrate it," said Orion.
"Perhaps you should call her and ask her to come over now," said Shiftland.
"Ok I can try," said Orion dialing her number.
After several rings Daniella picked up saying, "hello?"
"Miss Enright, it's Orion. Could you come to the farm quickly? We need to re-calibrate the generator," he said.
"Orion, I'm in the middle of dinner I can't come now," said Daniella.
"But we need to get it back running. You have to come, ov...." said Orion.
Taking the phone from him, Shiftland said, "Miss Enright was it."
"Uh yes. Who is this?" asked Daniella.
"Captain Shiftland of the Olemonte police. We had a little incident here at the farm involving the electric company. You would not just be helping the boy, but also doing me a great service as well, if you can come as soon as possible, to help with the necessary calibration it needs, to restore power."
"But I'm in the middle of diner right now," said Daniella.
"Could you finish up quick? I'll be waiting here until you arrive," said Shiftland.
"Very well. I'll be there shortly," said Daniella.
It was nearly twenty minutes later before five squad cars showed up. Each officer exited their vehicles, looking at their captain holding his revolver at the electric company men.
"Captain? Aren't they the electric company?" asked the first one.
"Yes they are Johnston. I want them all booked and charged with numerous offenses, starting with threatening an officer of the law," said Shiftland.
"What? Charge them? But we can't do that. They're the electric company," said Johnston.
"Johnston, look in the open engine compartment, and tell me what you see," said Shiftland.
"Umm, a large V sized motor with eight cylinders," said Johnston.
"What else do you see?" asked Shiftland.
"Uh, nothing sir. What should I be seeing?" asked Johnston.
"What does environmental law seventeen dash three say?" asked Shiftland.
"I believe it says that all commercial trucks must be a hybrid gas electric combination, sir" replied Johnston.
"Good, now is that present?" asked Shiftland.
"No sir not at all," replied Johnston.
"Then get on it. We aren't going to let them get away with severe infractions. The law is the law," said Shiftland.
"Boy, you do this and you also will be in a world of hurt," said the boss man.
"Johnston, book him on a second count of threatening an officer of the law," said Shiftland.
"This won't go well with you, with your superiors, captain," said the boss man.
"Johnston, get them all out of my sight," ordered Shiftland.
"Yes sir," replied Johnston proceeding with the rest to handcuff and place the electric company men into the squad cars.
"You're really going to arrest them like that?" asked Jakob.
"I'm tired of their kind. Everyone has only been afraid of them caused they're worried about losing their electricity," said Shiftland turning to Orion. "I now have an ace to play and I'm going make damn good use of it, especially after they caused the death of my grandmother a few years back."
"How did they do that?" asked Jakob.
"Turned off her electricity one evening during one of the coldest nights of the winter. She froze to death," replied Shiftland.
"I thought it was illegal to cut the electricity in the winter," said Jakob.
"It is, but they don't care. They got away with it cause everyone is scared," said Shiftland.
"So how do you plan to beat them?" asked Jakob.
Looking at Orion then back to Jakob, Shiftland replied, "both of you with that miss Enright. If you can provide my police station and the town hall with power, we won't have to worry too much until they cut the power to the whole town. By that time, I hope Orion here can have enough of these here fusion generators to power the whole of the town and county. Then, we will really go after them, with extra charges, which will be failure to to provide pre-paid power."
Orion looking up at Shiftland said, "I'll help, but I'm going to need your help for a few things as well. The first, a permit to be able to sell my fusion generators, or be able to sell power to the towns folks and anyone else around."
"And what are the other things?" asked Shiftland.
"Well I could use some of those permits to make buildings. I only have a limited work shop right now. I want to expand and be able to make my generators faster and more efficiently. For that I am going to need a really big place," said Orion.
"Doubtfully you have the money right now for such a big building, but I will talk to city hall about getting you free permits, so long as you can get a generator for them and my station done very quickly. I'll also see who is around who has space, that they aren't using and set you up a deal to get what you need for now," said Shiftland.
"This is just starting to move too fast now," said Jakob.
"Mr Zeenner, we just started a war with the electric company. We have to be quick and strong to win it, meaning where they cut the power off, we have to restore it with your son's fusion generators. Doing that will keep the town brave and fighting, if we no longer depend on the electric company," said Shiftland.
"No, I guess not. But it will be one hell of a battle," said Jakob.
It was a short time later when Daniella arrived, just as darkness began to fall. She parked close to the generator shining her car lights on it then got out.
"You must be miss Enright," greeted Shiftland.
"I am," replied Daniella, looking at him. "Captain Shiftland I assume?"
"You're quite right," said Shiftland shaking her hand. "Now, how long is it going to take to re-calibrate the generator?"
"Could be five minutes or up to half an hour," replied Daniella.
"Great," said Shiftland.
"You sound very enthusiastic about it," said Daniella.
"It's really my fault that it's like this. Pressure from the electric company to investigate it you know, to make sure it wasn't a petroleum generator," said Shiftland.
Looking at the electric company trucks, then around for the men Daniella asked, "where are the electric company men?"
"Being taken to their jail cells," said Shiftland.
"What? You arrested them?" said Daniella in shock.
"I did, based on many charges being laid, including threatening officers of the law, and not abiding by environmental laws which they have had me arrest many others for. It's going to be a messy battle with them. That's one of the reasons I had you come out so that we four could talk," said Shiftland.
"Talk? About what?" asked Daniella, getting to work with Orion.
"I'm sure you know the electric company is going to retaliate hard on us. Firstly cutting power to the police station. Then when city hall doesn't comply with them, they will be the next target and so. I want to be well prepared to take them down, which is going to require your help as well," said Shiftland.
"My help? What are you expecting me to do?" asked Daniella.
"Well firstly I have been told you have one of these here generators powering your home. I'd like for you to be ready to hook it up to the grid at a moments notice. Second, I am going to need you to help young Orion here, in getting more of these made quickly. We're going to need as many as possible by the end of the summer," said Shiftland.
"Orion mostly makes them by himself. I only help with the calibration, as I spent many a month's emailing some top professors about it." said Daniella.
"It may be a lot to ask, but once the school year is over, which is very close now, I would like for you to give him plenty more help. Perhaps even find him some suitable help. I want to take down the monopoly of the the electric company. They have become far too powerful and corrupt," said Shiftland.
"Even if I do help him, I can only do so for two month's. Then the next school year starts. I won't be able to after that safe for weekends," said Daniella.
"Maybe you should consider quitting being a teacher and work for Orion here. From what I've heard he's a genius," said Shiftland.
"I have two years left to complete on my five year contract with the school. I couldn't even if I wanted to," said Daniella.
"Well that's a shame. I guess we will just have to make due with what time you can give. But the next couple month's will be the most critical," said Shiftland looking towards the workshop. "He really needs something much bigger than that workshop."
"We're actually in the middle of setting him up a new workshop. It should double his effort in getting more made," said Daniella.
"A bigger workshop? Where is that?" asked Shiftland.
"We can't say. We didn't have a permit to build it. It will also remain unknown for now, except for the few of us who know about it," said Daniella.
"Well, I won't ask any further about it. But I will pull a lot of strings with city hall to get him permits of all sorts. He is going to need them if we are going to win this battle," said Shiftland.
"You seem very eager to take them on, like you have a bone to pick with them," said Daniella.
"That bone, as you say, is far bigger than you think," said Shiftland.
"They caused the death of his grandmother," said Orion.
"That would be a big bone," said Daniella.
"Yes and this is the first time I have ever been able to see possible justice come out of it. These fusion generators will break their monopoly completely," said Shiftland.
"You're putting a lot of faith in us," said Daniella.
"When I first heard about the boy genius we had, I didn't realize he was this young. Nor did I know he was trying to build fusion generators," said Shiftland.
"There's far more to him than that," said Daniella, finishing the work with Orion, "There, it wasn't all that bad."
"It's done?" asked Shiftland.
"It is, I hope," said Daniella moving back.
Taking his remote, Orion sealed up the unit then proceeded with the powering up. In moments it came alive and then Jakob threw the main breaker back on. In moments the farm lit up once more, with even the yard light coming on illuminating them all.
"Well that's a sight for sore eyes," said Shiftland.
"What were you expecting?" asked Daniella.
"Not sure. But I am liking this more and more," said Shiftland just as a tow truck arrived. "Well its about time they get here."
"Who?" asked Daniella.
"Tow trucks. Expected them here much sooner than this," said Shiftland.
As soon as the driver got out of his truck he said, "officer, what am I supposed to be towing?"
"These here three trucks to the impound yard," said Shiftland.
"These are electric company trucks," said the driver.
"Yes they are and they need to get to our impound yard," said Shiftland.
"Are you crazy? I can't do that. If they find out I towed them, they'll cut my power," he said.
"Forget your fear. I will guarantee you will always have power," said Shiftland.
"Can't do it. You'll have to drive them to the impound yard yourself," said the driver.
"They're dead. They can't be driven at all till they are repaired," said Shiftland.
"Dead? All three? How? They look new," said the driver.
"E M pulse knocked out all the active electronics in them," said Shiftland.
"E M pulse? How did they get hit by that?" asked the driver.
"A little accident with a fusion generator," said Shiftland.
"Wait what? A fusion Generator? They actually exist?" questioned the driver.
"That's one right there," said Shiftland pointing. "But they are really sensitive. Can't move or jar them while active, or you risk them going into overload and causing a mass explosion."
"So it must be really true, that the concrete plant really got one of them recently. I thought someone was pulling my leg about it," said the driver.
"They are as real as can be, but very few of them still," said Shiftland looking at the trucks again. "Now are you going to bring these trucks to the impound yard or not?"
"I don't dare to. If we lose our power my wife would divorce me and...." began the driver.
"If you lose your power, I'll make sure it's restored with one of these fusion generators. But first, you're licensed to operate a non hybrid gas powered heavy duty truck are you not?" asked Shiftland.
"I am. Why do you ask?" asked the driver.
Taking him over to the truck with the open hood he said, "maybe you can tell me how the electric company manages to buy non hybrids like this one."
"They have plenty of money. You can actually pay the dealers to overlook the requirements. They never ask questions if the price is right. It's also not illegal for them to do so, as the responsibility falls on the user to be licensed properly," said the driver.
"I was thinking as much," began Shiftland. "The electric company has no such license requirement, yet are driving them."
"Is this why they are being impounded?" asked the driver.
"In part. the men who were driving them, have a list of charges being thrown at them. They are currently sitting in jail right now," said Shiftland.
"You actually arrested them? That's going to bring you a lot of trouble, which will fall onto the town as well. People wont be happy if they cut the electricity to the town," said the driver.
"There's currently three fusion generators in town. Soon there will be more. We won't need the electric company by fall," said Shiftland.
"That's a dangerous game you're playing," said the driver.
"Makes no difference right now. We are taking them on and will be prepared for them. They aren't going to bully us no further with their laws, that they themselves don't follow. I expect by winter, the entire county will be free of their gouging grip, being provided with far cheaper electricity than we have had in decades," said Shiftland.
"Cheaper power? You really think it will happen?" asked the driver.
"I'm counting on it," replied Shiftland. "Now you going to move these, or do I need to call someone else?"
"If you can guarantee me power, I'll move them," said the driver.
"You'll have fusion power electricity soon enough. That's my guarantee," said Shiftland.
"At what cost?" asked the driver.
"Fifty to a hundred dollars a month I would say," said Shiftland.