CHAPTER 21

Red

It's time I went back to the Manor... I take one last look at the store window, promising myself not to give in to my gluttony. I'm not particularly hungry, I shouldn't get my body used to having blood too often. Otherwise I'm headed for disaster. Especially as my magic seems to have broken Nicolae's hypnotic safeguard... It's not wise for me to stay like this. There's no time to lose! I need to get home as soon as possible: the fastest and cheapest way back is the bus.

I head to the nearest bus stop and check when the next bus will come. Unable to sit down calmly on the bench, I pace up and down as I wait for it to arrive. After a few minutes' wait, the bus turns up and finally takes me back home.

As soon as I see the building, I immediately feel calmer. Nothing is more comforting than a place to call home: I really feel at home in the Bartholy Manor.

I walk up the garden pathway, climb the staircase, and stop in front of the double entrance doors. The day has been full of emotions and events, but I mustn't let my fears and stress show.

I shake my head to get rid of the excess rain from my hair, and slowly start to unknot it with my fingers. I feel the dampness in my hair evaporate and my hairstyle settle fairly naturally back into place, all disconcertingly quickly. It's as if my vampire beauty had a will of its own and must be perfect in any circumstances. After all, I mustn't forget that vampires instinctively use their looks to seduce their prey. Even if I refuse to act that way, my body responds to the same logic and needs as any other vampire.

This comparison bothers me. I'd rather pack those thoughts away in the back of my head. Now's not the time to debate the pros and cons of the Demented and the Abstinents. I've got enough to think about without contemplating the lifestyles of these two types of vampires. I know which one I belong to, and I hope I'll stay that way. That's all that matters to me.

I take a deep breath to alleviate my stress and seem as calm as possible... Nicolae won't have liked the fact that I went to college despite the risks: maybe I should have listened to him.

I reposition the strap of my bag on my shoulder, grip the door knocker with the devil in its mouth, and push open the door. One of these days, I'll have to ask why the door knocker are so unappealing.

I've barely walked through the door when Nicolae walks out of the dining room to greet me. He walks as smoothly and assuredly as ever, but has a look of severity fixed on his face. He definitely knows I spent the day at college, despite all his warnings to be careful... I'm going to get another scolding! I hold up my hands in surrender.

"I know... You were against it and once again, I just did what I felt like. I'm sorry..."

Nicolae folds his arms and studies me intently. He gives off such strength and natural authority that there's no need for him to raise his voice.

"Hello, Red. Was it guilt that was making you take root on the porch, then?"

Oh, damn... He'd already sensed my presence. I give a little nod.

"Well, just recognizing your mistakes and acknowledging that your actions were wrong won't make everything right."

"Yes, I really need to learn from my mistakes..."

Nicolae's eyes widen as if he's surprised to hear me being do reasonable.

"Red... What happened?"

"I have to admit that things are a lot more difficult than I thought..."

Nicolae opens his arms wide to welcome me into a warm embrace. I snuggle into him gratefully.

"Whatever happens, you can always count on us... You know that, don't you?"