CHAPTER 27: Let's be calm

Red Crandall

Shocked and disoriented by what Peter just told me, I have only one desire: to go up to my room and hide under the covers until I make sense of all of this! This will clearly be a day to remember, full of troubling discoveries and bloody revelations.

I wonder if Cassandre Osborne knows about these sacrifices and the origin of vampires.

I start to trudge up the stairs when Drogo grabs my hand. We exchange glances, each expressing the same desire to make the word, its people, and our problems all disappear for a moment. He laces his fingers through mine and guides me out of the manor.

Once on the steps, I stop to savor the fresh night air. It's so pleasant...

Drogo tugs at my hand slightly and pulls me after him for a night-time stroll through the garden, then the woods and the ground. We remain silent for a few minutes, taking advantage of the stillness around us to decompress and sort through our thoughts, each at our own pace. I'm grateful that he's still with me. If I'd gone up to my room, I'd have been depressed all evening.

"I'm really sorry..."

His voice pulls me out of my thoughts. I look at him, perplexed. "Why are you apologizing?"

Drogo looks up at the sky and observes the beauty of the moon in the midst of the clouds. I take advantage of the moment to admire his perfect profile.

"I feel so powerless... You're facing countless dangers and I'm no help to you!"

"You're my strength, my rock! That's plenty already!"

"Let's not lie to ourselves, Little thing... I think we both realized tonight that Viktor is just the top of the iceberg! The Arcane is apparently a well-oiled machine with a long reach. Plus, they proved that they have eyes everywhere."

"It'll be alright, Drogo! Whatever the obstacles, we've always overcome them!"

"There are obstacles, and then there are OBSTACLES. When Nicolae forbade us to see each other, that was tough, but it was just a bump in the road."

"I'm convinced that as long as we're together, everything will be fine!"

Drogo turns his anxious face to me, and squeezes my hand harder. I feel like we're two shipwrecked souls at the mercy of the waves of destiny.

"You can't imagine how afraid I am of losing you!"

"Try not to think about it right now, okay? Let's just enjoy the present moment."

In the moonlight, his hair flies nearly white and magical, as though the heavens had set up home in it. I admire his strong, bulging biceps, highlighted by his close-fitting sweater.

To my surprise, I find myself mentally tracing the geography of his body.

Suddenly, Drogo stops walking and kisses me. His lips are soft, burning; the heat of his tongue invades me. The sensation is exquisite, unbelievable... Perfect. It's as though our mouths were designed for this union and nothing else.

I let out a moan and abandon myself to him, hanging on to his shoulders to press myself even closer to him. I return his kiss with the same ardor. A kiss both desperate and life-saving, as though our passion could freeze time and repel danger.

A delicious shiver runs all the way up my spine. My hand slips under his shirt, and with my fingertips, I trace patterns on his back. Drogo growls with pleasure.

The air between us grows electric. I feel our connection awaken, and tremble with excitement. My entire body buzzes with the sensory overload. I feel each cell of his body. My blood grows hot as my desire crashes over me. All I want is to let myself go and melt in his embrace. To touch him, bite him, and lick him becomes an obsession! I want to feel his virility in me, right here and right now.

I look my eyes on his and roughly pull the to draw him even closer to me.

"Red..."

"I want you! Right now!"

I crush my lips against this, my hand firmly clenching the back of his neck. Our tongue dance feverishly, devouring and conquering. With my hips pressed against his, I begin to roll them in slow, circular movements.

Drogo's body tenses tight as a bow... He's close to breaking point. But suddenly, with a low groan, Drogo pulls away slightly. This abrupt break leaves me a loss. Drogo clears his throat and presses his forehead against mine. He gulps, tamping down his emotions.

"Red... You're worth fighting for! I'm so sorry if I seemed weak in the face of adversity. Everyday at your side is a privilege, your very presence is my reason to live. I belong to you, body and soul. I will protect you."

Gently, Drogo wipes away the tear sliding down my cheek with his thumb. I'm even more surprised than he is: I hadn't realized I was crying. How is that he can bowl me over so easily with just a few words, when just seconds ago was burning with desire?

"I'll be strong for you, and with you, Red."

"Thank you, Drogo. Your commitment is touching. And who knows, maybe fate will give us a little help... Especially thanks to that prophecy. For the time being, that's the only thing we can hang on to! Let's keep our spirits despite everything! Let's stay positive, okay? But we have to be ready!"

"You can count on me, beautiful!"

"I absolutely have to find out what this prophecy!"

"You know, not all prophecies come free..."

"And what am I supposed to make of that?"

"Do some research if you think it's necessary, but don't waste time and energy on a wild goose chase."

"Don't worry, I have a feeling this prophecy will help me!"

"Well, before you scuttle off to the library, why don't we go go the cottage to finish what we started so passionately?"

I burst out laughing, and hold my band out to Drogo. He grabs it hurriedly and leads us to our cozy nest in the heart of the forest.