CHAPTER 31: It's training time

©Claire Zamora

Red Crandall

Several hours later, I'm back in my room at the manor. I'm soaking in a nice hot bath, thinking happily about the day I just had. Especially getting our tattoos! That will always remain engraved in my memory! 

I brush my tattoo with my fingertips. A gust of emotion rises up within me, knotting my throat. For some people, getting a tattoo has lost all meaning, became a casual thing to do. A meaningless, fashionable ritual. For me, it's a drawing that's tied to my personal history that contains a powerful, emotional charge. Most of all, I love sharing an identical mark with Drogo. We belong to each other, body and soul. I feel so close to Drogo now that I can't imagine my existence without him. At his side, i'm a happy, fulfilled woman. 

I get out of the tub, grab a towel, and dry myself quickly before slathering on moisturizer. I slip on my night shirt, braid my hair in a long braid that falls over my shoulder, then calmly return to my room. i rummage through my leather tote bag to find my cellphone, and check the time on the screen: Past midnight. It might not be too late to contact Sarah and make sure she got home safe, and that the day's excitement didn't affect her too much. 

I quickly type out a text message to her. then wait a few seconds. A beep soon notifies me of her response. 

Sarah: I'm fine, but I can't sleep...

                                                                                                                              Red: Oh, I'm sorry! It really was a                                                                                                                                               stressful day.

Sarah: I'm so anxious to hear all about your date! Can't                                                                                                    wait for monday! The weekend's going to seem                                                                                                      so long! Goodnight, Red.

I drop my cellphone on the bed and opens the windows wide. The fresh night air fills my room. Nonchalantly, I rest my elbows on the window sill and look at the starry sky. I notice several shooting stars pass by. Then a thought crosses my mind: The last time I took the time to admire the beauty of the galaxy, I was still human. It feels like an eternity ago! I sigh nostalgically. 

Suddenly, the sound of beating wings draws my attention. I crack a smile: I'd recognize it anywhere. In less time than it takes to say "Tris", she flies into my room and perches on top of my wardrobe. I'm so happy to Tris again! This is the first time she's come to see me since I became a vampire. In fact. I really thought I'd never see her again... And now this evening, to my great joy, she's finally decided to come visit me. The night couldn't have better! 

My owl sweeps her gaze over the room as if making sure that nothing has changed since her last visit. 

"Good evening, Tris. I'm glad to see you again! How are you?"

She stares at me with her big, shining eyes, as though examining me closely. I step forward cautiously, without taking my eyes off her. She beats her wings frantically, her expression displeased. Weird...

"It's me, Tris! Don't you recognize me?"

Tris looks me over suspiciously. I sit on my bed and hold my arm out to her, as an invitation. I flash her an encouraging smile. Suddenly, Tris seems less defensive. I think she recognized me perfectly, but her instinct led her to be wary.