CHAPTER 32: Decided fate?

Red Crandall

The next day, I meet Sarah on campus. She greets me with a smile and immediately drags me to a secluded corner to chat.

"So, tell me what happened!"

"I see you're not wasting any time! But I'm warning you, my weekend wasn't all sunshine: there were bad times as well."

"No problem! I want to hear it all. After all, friends are supposed to be by your side for the highs and the lows."

I respond with a friendly smile, and brush my hair away from the back of my neck to give her a glimpse of the infinity symbol inscribed on my skin.

"Wow! A tattoo! That's so cool! I love it! Was it hard to do?"

"It worked out, but I was really worried that my magic would get out of control..."

"I can't imagine... And I suppose Drogo has the same tattoo."

"That's right! I tattooed us after we found Lorie, we needed to end the evening on a positive note."

"I understand. So how is she, anyway?"

"She spent Sunday with Drogo, apparently they had fun. By the way, thanks again for coming to help us find her."

"Don't worry about it, it was nothing."

"Actually, how was your ride with Peter? Was it awkward being alone with him?"

"Not at all! We talked and I have to say it was pretty informative..."

"That's really surprising. Peter isn't usually that talkative... I'm intrigued. What did you talk about?"

"He talked about you... Actually, he wouldn't stop! I think Drogo's right to be jealous."

Huh?!

"Very funny, Sarah... Don't you know that those kinds of insinuations could really stir up trouble?"

"Hmm... I could be wrong, but in my opinion, his interest in you speaks to deeper feelings than you realize."

"Sarah, stop, please! This is ridiculous!"

Sarah raises her hands in defeat, while I let out an annoyed sigh. It's true that whenever Drogo's not available, Peter always volunteers to take his place. He's also always first in line to do me a favor. Same goes for my moods- Peter always needs to make sure that I'm alright. Especially when I'm mad at Drogo. Peter also doesn't hesitate to openly provoke Drogo, even though Nicolae had instructed him to keep his distance from me to appease tensions.

All of this raises doubts in my mind.

"Uh, actually, this is totally unrelated... But this weekend, i saw your grandmother's cat on the Bartholy property twice!" Sarah's eyes widen.

"Already? I mean... Are you sure? It was definitely her cat?"

"Black fur, two-toned eyes, a surly attitude... There's no doubt about it! It was her cat!"

"Um, apparently my grandmother wanted to personally check in on your progress, so she sent her cat. She can use her pet as a vessel, and see through its eyes. That cat itself isn't magical at all."