CHAPTER 36

©Claire Zamora

Red Crandall

The following morning, after an emotional night reading about my mother's childhood in her private journal, I enter Lorie's bedroom. Still in bed, the little girl is sleeping peacefully among all her hideous dolls and stuffed animals. I'm in a good mood this morning and don't really feel like causing any unnecessary tension with Lorie. I tiptoe over to her bed and whisper tenderly.

"Good morning, pretty princess. It's time to get up."

Lorie opens her eyes and gives me a big smile. A moment later, she stretches and gets out of bed. She rubs her eyes and looks at me.

"Why is it you this morning? Where are my brothers?"

"We've set up a kind of rota so everyone can look after you."

"Hmm..."

"Go on, go and wash while I tidy your room a little."

Lorie grabs her clean uniform from her closet and goes to the bathroom without putting up a fight. Meanwhile, I busy myself putting Lorie's bubblegum-pink paradise to rights. I air the room out, make her bed, tidy her toys... A few minutes later, Lorie comes out of the bathroom. I dry her hair, then brush it to smarten it up.

"I just checked the time... It's still early, school isn't for another two hours! Why didn't you wait? Before you woke me up?"

"We haven't had a chance to spend time together lately... I thought we could play together before school."

Lorie looks at me curiously, then her face lights up as she realizes I'm totally serious. She start laughing heartily and hops around in all directions. Her enthusiasm is touching. Lorie can be adorable when she wants to be.

"You really want to play with me?"

"Sure, why not!"

Beaming, Lorie sits down in front of her doll's house and puts the floor next to her, inviting me to do the same. I sit down curiously, keeping some personal space between us, and watch her out of the corner of my eye. She hums as she lines up her dolls in front of us.

"Lorie, we'll play, but on one condition..."

She immediately stops sorting her dolls, her baby face scowling.

"Tss... I should have known. You still want to impose your rules!"

"Sometimes you have to lay down rules to make sure everything goes well..."

"Whatever. It's pointless!"

"Get real. Every game needs rules. For now, I ask only one thing: no violence whatsoever!"

"Even by accident?"

"Lorie, I'm warning you... One step out of the line and we'll stop everything and I'll confiscate your dolls!"

"You can't do that! I'll tell Nicolae!" I fold my arms.

"If you prefer, we can drop it. No rules, no games, no hassle..."

"Okay, fine... I'll be good."

I give her a smile and choose one of her horrible dolls, which has no head.

"Hmm... If I remember correctly, this guy is Mr. No Head."

"Yeah... Sometimes, I call him Max."

"What if we come up with a life for Mr. Max No Head?"

Lorie thinks for a few seconds, staring blankly. Then finally, she agrees to my suggestion.

"Let's start with this family... Droes he have a wife? Any kids?"