CHAPTER 28: Training

©Claire Zamora

Edited by bellasettembre  

Red Crandall

After several voluptuous hours spent into Drogo's arms in the cottage, I'm back in my room, but I can't sit still. I've been pacing in circles for what seems like an eternity when the irresistible urge to unleash this pent-up energy takes hold.

I open the window wide and unceremoniously leap outside, heading for the woods on the Bartholy estate. My hair's flowing in the wind, I run at top speed, winding through the trees so quickly I feel as though I'm floating. I take advantage of the moment to set myself a little training exercise — a Rambo-style assault course!

I abruptly shift gear and take off. Well, I jump as high as possible, grabbing a solid am branch with both my hands. Legs outstretched. I start swinging my body back and forth, then leap to the next branch. I must persevere, occupying body and mind. I move straight to the next branch, then the next. I speed up as I leap even further, even higher.

Only with an iron will can I master my vampirism and stem the change in my magic. No fatigue, noticed muscles, only an amazing control over my body. Enthralled by all these sensations and encouraged by my progress, I keep leaping over and over again.

The branches blaze past like a countdown. Then I notice a stone wall, covered in ivy and partially destroyed below. I drop down to the ground and move closer. At first glance, it looks like the remains of an old house...

I've roamed through the woods on this property many times but this is the first time I've seen it. The architecture looks very old, and not much of it is left. Black traces show that a fire ravaged it all. I grit my teeth and place my hand flat against the wall, then strike it softly. Once, twice... The third time, I make a fist and bang more firmly.

I take a step back into a fighting stance, as though I were in the middle of a boxing match, then throw my full weight against my adversary, the wall. My blows gain in speed and precision, the movements burning together. With the full force of my anger. The wall gives in, collapsing on itself.

"Already...?"

I've never let my emotions take over me like that before, unleashing their powers to the point of destruction. I stare at the heap of rubble with disappointment. Suddenly, an idea springs to my mind: what if I used these stones to practice combat magic?

"This is the perfect spot: isolated and out of sight!"

I close my eyes and start to concentrate. I search the depths of my mind for that familiar little ember, the very source of my powers. Suddenly, I her a small heartbeat a few paces away. Intrigued, I walk towards the thicket the sound is coming from.

As I begin the part to leave, two gold-and-blue orbs launch themselves at me with a strangled meow. With an outstretched hand, I push the danger away from my face and send it spinning a few paces away. The black shape lands on all four legs.

"Hey, I recognize you! You're Cassandre Osborne's cat!"

The cat elegantly licks its paw, stretches, then stares at me with its two-tone-eyes. I forget my anger and all my frustration. I admire its beautiful fur and flexibility, and, suddenly feeling the urge to pet it. I tiptoe up to it.