CHAPTER 22

Red Crandall

I really deserve a restful evening after this grueling day. Especially when I think that my problems aren't over yet. With a sigh, I take a box of matches and start lighting the candles I've dotted around the bathroom. I turn on the hot faucet, and start to fill the bathtub. I put in some lavender scented bath salts and a trickle of my jasmine shower gel. The bathroom is gradually filled with a delicious floral aroma.

I open the cupboard under the wash basin and take out two bath towels. I place one within arms touch for when I get out of the bath, and roll the other one up into a comfortable pillow that I carefully position on the rim of the bathtub. I quickly take off my clothes, chuck them into thr laundry basket, and slip into the water.

The heat washes over me, totally enveloping me. It feels so good. I rest my head on my make shift pillow and close my eyes. I let myself go in this delicious bath. I lose all sense of time. My thoughts wander and the minutes slowly tick by. The events of the day unfold in my head. I can hardly believe it all happened just today. I certainly didn't hold back, it had to be said!

First, an altercation of my magic under Nicolae's hypnosis, followed by a surge in my bloodlust, then a sporting mishap, and go round it off... I was almost crushed by a fire extinguisher. And that's without mentioning all the family tensions: what with Drogo, Nicolae and Lorie, I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I need to talk about it, to share all these thoughts.

I open my eyes, turn my head slightly, and spot my cellphone on the sink. I'd like to call Sarah and tell her everything. I'm sure she'd find a way to get me to laugh about it. But here in the Manor, everyone has amazing hearing... And I don't necessarily want to be overheard. I'd also run the risk of worrying Sarah and stressing her out. I might even keep her from sleeping, so I decided against it.

Thinking about it, it's really the story of the flying fire extinguisher that worries me the most... Probably because the threat is real and immediate, and it happened in a place where I thought I could still live normally.

How much could I be?

I stare at the bathroom ceiling. My thoughts wander to Samantha, and a thousand different questions run through my mind. Did she really throw that fire extinguisher at me? Would she go so far as to actually hurt me, or even kill me? Or is she too obvious as suspect? And what if it were someone else...? I don't have enemies. At least, not officially! And the more I think about it, the less likely it seems that someone could have it in for me... I've never hurt anyone.

I can't work out what would make someone threaten me in such a cowardly way. But maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. I might just be the object of some kind of female revenge, or collateral damage. Drogo's very popular with the female students. A jealous girl might have wanted to punish me for being in a relationship with him. Or maybe the opposite is true!

Ever since I became a vampire, I can feel the men lusting after me. Maybe a woman wanted to punish me for having inadvertently drawn her boyfriend's attention.

However, look at it, I can only see one plausible reason for their heinous act and that's jealousy.

Tired of thinking about it, I push my worries to the back of my mind and pick up some bubbles in the hands. I really need to let off steam. I take a deep breath and close my eyes to focus. I seek the source of my magic within myself, those smoldering embers deep down inside me.

Almost immediately, my energy threatens to overwhelm me. I suppress it, only wanting to use the tiniest amount. I visualize a breeze to try and channel it.

I open my eyes and focus my art on the bathroom. Soap bubbles then start to form and float up into the air. More and more bubbles float up around me; they're light and pretty, and I lie back and admire their aerial choreography and shimmering rainbow reflections.