CHAPTER 34

©Claire Zamora

Red Crandall

An hour later, it's with a heavy heart and a troubled mind that I walk down to the dining room with Drogo. I pull my suit case behind me like a dead weight.

I enter the dining room with my head bowed, when suddenly a voice pulls me out of mg despondent state.

"Hello, Red."

I straighten up quickly ad I realize my friend Sarah is at the table, calmly sipping a coffee while chatting to Nicolae.

"Sarah? What are you doing here so early? Did Cassandre send you?"

Sarah and Nicolae exchange in indecipherable glances.

"That's right! I came to give you some good news!"

"Well, I can't wait to hear it!"

"I'm telling you now: you are going to L-O-V-E it!"

Sarah takes a long sip of coffee, staring at us over the cup all the while. I can feel Drogo growing impatient next to me; he takes my hand and grips it tightly in his. I sigh loudly while Sarah and Nicolas wear broad, maddening smiles on their faces.

"Come on, Sarah! What are you waiting got to make your announcement? You have our full attention..."

Sarah puts her cup down with a serious expression. She then places her elbows on the table; puts her hands together and rests her chin on them.

"I spoke to my grandmother and we came to an agreement on a number of issues..."

Drogo and I exchange looks, nonplussed.

"In particular, my grandmother acknowledged that you've undergone a lot of changes in very little time and that it's not good for you. So she accepts that it would be better for you to stay at the manor and keep going to college like a normal student."

"I'm pleasantly surprised! Has your grandmother really changed her mind?"

"Absolutely, she understands that you need a balanced social life. And without it, your ability to master your magic will be compromised."

Sarah folds her arms across her chest proudly.

"I admit it wasn't envy to convince her, she's pretty stubborn... I had to bring out the big guns."

Drogo arches a skeptical eyebrow.

"What was your ultimate argument?"

Sarah gives him a sincere smile, visibly delighted to give us the information in dribs and drabs to have captured our attention so much.

"I suggested that if you were to disappear from one day to the next to hole up in the villas Viktor's informants couldn't fail to let him know."

Nicolae nods in approval.

"That is indeed highly-likely, so it's an excellent point. If Viktor finds out that Red has gone missing, he'll hurry back." Nicolae