CHAPTER 24: Do a runner

Red Crandall

No sooner have we entered the Manor than Nicolae calls out to us from the living room. Drogo and I exchange looks before joining his brother. Whatever happens, I know I can count on Nicolae's support and objectivity.

We find the eldest Bartholy brother settled comfortably on the couch. With a book resting on his knees, he sips a glass of crimson liquid.

When we enter, Nicolae sets his glass down on the coffee table and examines us by turns. The metallic aroma of his drink tickles my nostrils.

"You're home early..."

Driven by the intoxicating scent of the blood, I rush over to Nicolae's glass and down it in one gulp. A sense of relief immediately washes over me.

"I see..."

"We had to come home urgently: her powers are getting out of control and her hypnosis didn't last."

Nicolae stares at me solemnly. I stare back at him, trying my best to hide my embarrassment.

"Red... How are you feeling?"

"Better since I quenched my thirst..."

"You drank this morning, you shouldn't be thirsty again already. It's far too soon..."

I shrug my shoulders, knowing that I can't help it.

"This sort of behavior isn't uncommon in young vampires, but in your case, it's essentially down to the changes in your magic."

"And do you have a solution to help her overcome it?"

"I guess only a seasoned witch could answer that question."

I think back to my conversation with my mother.

"I think I know what to do..."

"Oh really? Did you read about it in one of the books I lent you?"

"No... Let's just say that someone I trust encouraged me to restore my spiritual balance through meditation."

"It can't be any old meditation, you'll have to do some research."

I nod in agreement.

"But you and I both know we're only treating the symptoms, not the cause. Sooner or later, you'll have to get to the root of the problem."

I know...

Drogo folds his arms over his chest and looks his brother in the eyes.

"That's not the only problem..."

Nicolae frowns; Drogo continues in the same ominous tone.

"Red didn't tell us that she was attacked at college. Somebody tried to kill her by throwing a fire extinguisher through the window at her!"

I haven't done anything wrong! I was afraid of how they'd react and what might have happened as a result.

"I didn't want to worry you, and anyway, it was an isolated incident."

"It was no incident, it was a pre-meditated attack! If I get hold of the asshole who dared after you, I'll cut his hands off!"

Nicolae gives me a sympathetic look.

"Refusing to face the reality of the situation won't do you any favor, Red. I suggest you exercise the utmost caution. It's a precaution, you should avoid being on your own as much as possible. Stay away from isolated areas, don't follow anybody you don't know."

"I'm not a child! And let me remind you that I'm half vampire, half witch! Let's be real, I have nothing to be afraid of."

"You can't say that when you don't know who instigated the attack."