CHAPTER 33

©Claire Zamora

Red Crandall

The time has finally come... I need to accept it and move forward. Obviously I'd rather not go through it, but I've got to follow through on my commitments. I promised Cassandre Osborne I would go back to reconnect with my magical heritage and learn to master magic completely. And I'll stand by my word!

I slump down in the armchair and watch the three Bartholy brothers sitting on the couch opposite me. Each of them seems lost in thought. Peter I wringing his hands with a serious look on his face; Nicolae's absorbed in his rings; and Drogo can't stop frantically shaking his right leg. A heavy silence hangs over the room.

"Anyone would think we were at a funeral..."

The Bartholy brothers snap out of their daze and look at me quizzically.

"Please, don't make things more complicated than they already are... We all knew I'd have to leave sooner or later."

"Yeah, but it's too soon! You're still really sensitive to bloodlust!" Drogo

I know...

"You've come a long way and made a lot of progress over the last few days, but you're not out of the woods yet. Still, you'll have to make do for now and follow the path of magic. The sooner you become an accomplished witch, the better." Nicolae

"Seriously, whose side are you on? Nothing about this situation is normal! Cassandre has no right to be giving orders!" Drogo

"I agree with Nicolae: It's time I started training as a witch. I've got a lot to learn!"

"I've said it once, and I'll say it again: All in good time! It's not wise to jump the gun!" Drogo

"Believe me, I'd love to take my time! But the circumstances don't allow it! You've got to accept that..."

That's just the way it is; I have no choice but to resign myself to it.

"And Sarah? What does she think about it all?" Drogo

"She was as angry as I was. She went back to the Osborne villa to negotiate the deadline for my return with her grandmother."

"Let's hope your friends manages to talk some sense into her!" Drogo

"Well, I guess if anyone can convince her, it'll be her granddaughter... But I doubt it'll do any good."

His furrowed brow betrays his growing frustration.

"I don't understand... The coven has as much to gain from. This alliance as we do, so why isn't Cassandre being more accommodating? Why is she so insistent that you leave your family and move in to her place for good?" Drogo

"Cassandre is the head of the coven, so she's more or less used to controlling everyone with an iron fist. Anyway, seeing as this alliance was my idea, I'll have to put in the greatest effort if I want it to last."

"We're all in the same boat! I don't see why you should make more effort for something that benefits everyone!" Drogo

Drogo looks at each of his brothers, clearly seeking their support. Peter's face is expressionless, while Nicolae, more expressive, looks worried.

"I agree with Drogo. It's very honorable of you to want to free us from Viktor, but sometimes I get the feeling you're taking it too far." Nicolae

"I'm not doing it just for you! Viktor has proved that he won't stand down! He'll keep going until he has me in his clutches. And on top of that, I need to reconnect with my witch heritage to get control over my powers. I believe it's what my mother would have wanted."