16: Found

Jaewon saw Jin. But Jin didn't see him. The boy was looking down, biting his plump lips. 

Where was the girl though? Jaewon thought, tilting his head questioningly as he peered from behind the fence. After Jin had passed, Jaewon quickly followed Jin from afar, not wanting to be discovered by him. When he craned his neck, he realised the girl was further ahead, and was moving at a terrific pace. In fact, she seemed like she wanted to be as far away from Jin as possible. The man cheered to himself, taking the chance to get Jin first. 

"AHHHH!" Jin cried, when he felt a strong pair of arms pull him back. His head snapped around and he realised it was his captor, that young man. "What do you want?" He demanded, trying to twist and turn out of his vice grip, but to no avail. The straps of his bag swished around violently.

"I need you." Was his answer.

"Gone."

And Jin's face was met with a strong smelling-cloth and his grip soon loosened. 

***

"I need you. Gone." 

Jisoo heard that. Everything that had happened behind her back, she knew. Ducking behind a fence, she waited for the moment to strike when the man walked past. Since Jin was here, she couldn't kill Jaewon, who was probably the person who entered, right there and then in front of Jin. 

Soon the chance came. Jaewon apparently knocked out Jin using chloroform again, and had him slung over his shoulder. So she could kill Jaewon without him around. Great.

However, she was weary and famished. She had gone for a day or so without food, and for a five year old, was exhausting. Facing Jaewon, she managed to land a kick between his legs, but got a blow on her arm in return. While Jaewon dropped Jin and yelled out in pain, screaming curse words, she lifted Jin onto her back and ran, ignoring the pain in her arm. 

***

Jisoo felt like her lungs were about to burst. She was strong and Jin was light, but she was still quite tired. After a few twists and turns, she was sure she had lost Jaewon. Now she needed Jin to wake up. 

Laying him on the floor, she tried shaking him. His eyes remained closed. She wondered if pain would help him wake up, but she didn't want to hurt him. Sitting beside him, she still remembered the previous words he had said to her. 

He wanted her to protect him. He needed her for protection.

That hurt her a little. Was his sole purpose of finding her to hide behind her? And keep safe while she was exposed to danger? Not because he was genuinely worried about her safety and wanted to make sure she was safe? 

She tried letting sleep take over her senses, but her mind refused. While Jin remained unconscious, she stared at his beautiful sculpted face, reflecting on the events that had just happened.

***

The boy's eyes slowly opened. He caught someone staring at him, and rubbed his eyes.

Jisoo looked away, sighing. 

"Shall we go? Are you feeling better?" She asked in a weary tone. Jin noticed her wrist was unusually covered with her hand. 

"Yeah. What happened to your hand?" He asked, wanting to grab her hand but she recoiled. 

"N... nothing."

Jin knew she had a reason for not telling him, so he let it go. Standing up, they began to find their way around, making sure no one was lurking in corners.

They walked and walked, turning left and right, but they were going nowhere. Jisoo sighed, using her left hand to massage her sore thighs. She squatted on the floor, resting her legs. Jin saw her and bent down.

"You tired already?"

"Oh come on. I don't do push-ups everyday; my stamina isn't that good. And my bruise is still painful."

Jin offered the pack of biscuits to Jisoo and they shared it. While Jisoo was resting, Jin reflected in how they had even gotten here in the first place. He had never expected he would be kidnapped, locked in a maze with a classmate that he didn't like at first, but slowly got to know her. Sighing, he leaned against the fence and gazed at Jisoo nibbling on the biscuits. 

Is Daddy worried about me? Where is he? 

Then his thoughts wandered.

What's on her hand? What's she covering with her sleeve? Is she okay?

Jisoo coughed, startling his. 

"Don't stare..." she said in a small voice.

Jin shook his head in denial. "Let's go." He hiked up his bag and stood up straight. 

After a while, they continued wandering aimlessly through the maze.

Until they reached a door. Jin opened it, groaning at how hard he had to push it till it swung open. The duo stepped into the room. Suddenly, the heavy door slammed shut behind them.