Chapter 5

Alice Hughes' POV

"Right... What do you want to know about me?" I said as I took a sip of my water, even though Connor ordered Chardonnay. I declined, asking for some water and Ophelia was kind enough to get some for me while Connor grimaced. I don't drink as my parents forbid me to do anything fun. They thought that it would damage my innocence from the truth of the world. I have to make sure that I stayed clean or they will know for sure. How do they know, you ask? Well, my parents were scientists and they have equipment that can know if I ever take any drugs or alcohol when I was away at college. I had to get tested when I was on holiday.

Connor leaned back on his chair. "Well, for a start, you have not told me your name yet, mysterious girl," he said as he looked at me. I was blushing for I can feel the heat on my face as I don't think that he would be informal with me. I think that he was much older than me, but it was hard to tell considering that he was dressed in a green checker flannel, a white shirt underneath it, and jeans to complete his look for tonight.

I cleared my throat before speaking. "My name is Alice. Alice Hughes," I said as I put the glass down on the table. I don't know why but I felt hot all of a sudden. Like burning hot, as if I was being rolled on a fire. I looked around the restaurant to ask if they have air conditioning going but they have turned it on. "Don't you feel hot?" I asked Connor so suddenly as I looked at him. He was completely fine, with no sweat on his forehead. I don't know, maybe it was my imagination as I felt very hot right now.

Connor tilted his head as he was looking at me, considering my question. "No, why? Are you?" he said as he was looking at me. He smirked as I felt the sweat drip down my cheeks then hit my neck.

I stood up from the chair. "Excuse me, I have to get some fresh air," I said as I went out of the private booth and headed for the front door. The waitress, Ophelia, stopped me when I felt hotter now than I was with Connor.

"Oh my, you're sweating. Are you alright?" I was asked by her. I stopped for a while, turning to greet her as I smiled to ensure that I was fine when I was definitely not.

"Yes, everything is cool. I just want to get some air, that's all," I said before I went for the front entrance and I walked outside. I took a deep breath as it was a good relief for I felt I can breathe normally again after sweating profusely. "What happened?" I mumbled to myself as I wiped my sweats on my forehead. What was wrong with my body?

"Alice, is everything okay?" Connor called for me when he was standing at the door. I don't think I want Connor to be near me right now. Please don't come near me. I'm sweating like a hippo, I thought as I was smiling at him.

"Yes, everything's fine. Just give me a minute and I will be inside," I said as I looked at him. He nodded at me. Thank God he did not insist on coming near me.

"Okay. I just want to let you know that our food has arrived. So whenever you're ready, we can eat," he said as he looked at me. Such a considerate man, I thought before I shook my head. I never thought I would think this douche bag would have a gentle side to his rudeness. But alas, here I was, thinking of him as a gentleman.

I'm so far down the rabbit hole, Nora.

"You go ahead, I will come after this," I said before I went to close my eyes as I turned my back on him. I took a deep breath as I looked at the ground. Whenever Connor was near me, I felt an intense fire inside me. Like something alive inside me. What's wrong with me? I never felt something like this when I have my dates with other guys.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay with you?" Connor whispered into my ear. I gasped when I felt his arms were wrapped around me, around my waists to be exact. I stood still as he wrapped his hands around my waist from behind. My heart accelerated at the intimate touch.