Chapter 9

Connor O'Sullivan's POV

"Well, brother, I must say, you've done it now," Lia said as she came from behind me. I smirked as I turned to look at her. Then, I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my whiskey.

I cleared my throat as I watched my fiancée go with Mhamó. "What do you mean, dear sister?" I asked her. I already knew what she was talking about but I just want her to talk the shit out of her arrogant self.

Lia tsked, putting her hands on her waist as she was looking at me before turning to look at Alice who was talking with our grandmother. "You bring the enemy home while you're engaged to her, you think Mhamó will let her go that easy? Keep on dreaming, brother. Your fiancée is having the worst time of her life right now," she said before she went to take my whiskey and sipped on it.

I gasped at her rude gesture, not to mention her assessment of Alice. "Hey! Get your own," I barked before I snatched back the whiskey from her hand but I failed. Lia chuckled devilishly as she winked at me.

"Yours better," she said before she mumbled something incorrigible under her breath as she was looking at her phone. "Shit," she mumbled before she gave me the whiskey back. "Sorry, got to go. Mum was shitting about something," she said before she disappeared through the crowd. Suddenly, Ethan, that mutt, appeared at my side.

"Hey, mate," I said to him. He nodded at me. For someone that was as roguishly looking as he was, Ethan did not say much, well... except maybe fighting with Jacques.

"Where's your woman?" he asked me as he sipped something from his cup. It must be the punch as Ethan was not usually affected by the alcoholic stuff. And because he did not want to lose control. He can never lose control.

"Mhamó took her out for a spin. So, let's hope Alice still wants to be with me after that," I said before I looked through the window as I chanted my Word of Power to look through the Veil that we put around the manor.

"Well?" Ethan asked, arching his eyebrow at me before my concentration was lost. I could not find them in the backyard. Not again...

"I got to go. See you later, mate," I said before I chugged down my whiskey in one gulp and went straight to the backyard. My heart was beating so hard before someone stopped me. Someone that I don't want to see right now.

"Hey, Connor! Long time no see you around," Aoife said to me. I was too distracted by the fact that my Mhamó was about to kill my newly engaged fiancée and now, she appeared. Fuck my luck tonight.

I turned to greet the blonde woman standing in front of me, smiling reluctantly. "Aoife, can you move over, please? I really need to go now," I said as I was trying to walk past her. She wouldn't budge. At all.

"Connor, come on. It has been 5 years since we last talked and now you want to go?" she said as she was blocking my way. Damn this bitch!

"Aoife," I said as a warning. That was the only thing she needed to hear. My ruby orbs were burning brightly as I looked at her. She gasped, immediately knew that I was not playing around before she bowed at me.

"Of course. Sorry, my lord," she said before I scoffed at her. Then, I went to the backyard through the kitchen door. "Please be okay, please be okay," I prayed and when I walked into the backyard, thinking of the worst scenario that could happen, I could not believe my eyes of what I saw in front of me.

Alice Hughes' POV

After my small talk with Connor's grandmother, she asked me to go for a walk with her. And of course, I was the one that has to push her since she was in the wheelchair. Not that I was complaining. "Come, child, the moon's bright tonight," Mhamó said as she was urging me to get her out of the party through the kitchen door into the backyard. It was crowded with all the family members of the O'Sullivan clan. I was happy to get out of there as well for I was not much an extrovert. We went out of the door and Mhamó asked me to park over the bench that was located under a tree on the other side of the backyard.