Chapter 18

Abigail Hayes' POV

We appeared in the academy courtyard. I don't know how we get there but after I broke our supposed last kiss, we were suspended in the air before we free fell and hit the ground. "Ow, what the hell just happened?" I asked myself as I was brushing off dirt from my clothes and rubbing my butts. It was a pain in the ass, literally.

Clive stood up as he was looking around before he helped me up, offering his hand to me. "Well, it looks like we have discovered your new power, my love, I suppose," he said as he was looking at me. I looked at Clive confusingly, taking his hand as he was smirking at me. I stood in front of him as his hand went to my waist to steady me on my feet. I smiled inwardly as he showed his gentle side to me. I think he only does that with me, I mused as I was looking at him stoically.

"What?" I asked him, arching my eyebrow before he stepped forward and sensing our surroundings for hidden enemies. My senses were all over the place as I was looking at my memories at the academy from 500 years ago. I was sitting on the bench when Clive came to greet me. We're studying our Word of Power on the grass as I was laughing at some jokes that he made.

The bench where he asked me to go on that picnic with me. My heart clenched at that particular memory.

"Well, it would seem like your power is growing, coming off the chart and everything. I can sense them all over you," Clive said as his ruby eyes were glistening with mischief. He was smirking at me as I scoffed at him. I never had such a thing like that happen to me before. I was the useless half-breed. Even after that stupid deal, I made with the Devil failed to grant me this kind of power.

I shook my head at him. "I think you're delusional. I have never been good at this... skills and powers, remember? I have to make a deal with the Devil himself. Ugh! Why is my life always this hard?" I said, frustrated as I kicked a small stone on the ground. It was early dawn, all of the monsters must be preparing to go to sleep right now. And the academy was pretty far away from the Town. I sighed, basking myself in the morning rays.

"Abby, do you remember what the envelope was all about? The one that you got from the Lord of the Underworld?" Clive asked me after a few minutes I was trying to calm myself. He was smoothing his hand on my back as I glanced over my shoulder to look at his handsome face. I shook my head as I sighed.

"To be frank, I never had the chance to open it. I flew across town to get to the picnic area where you guys were that night at my first opportunity. And when I was sneaked back into my room that morning before the royal guards came to get me and hang me the next morning for ruining the future High Warlock's marriage prospect." I said as Clive was smirking at me. He knew alright what I meant when I ruined his marriage prospect. We made love in the Dark Forest and he and I were no longer virgins. We had tainted our reputations. But that was 500 years ago, time had changed.

I shrugged. "I thought my Aunt Ash would throw all of my stuff away at this point, if she still lives there," I said as I was looking at Clive. He tapped his chin with his fingers, thoughtful of the probability that we would never get to read the envelope now. He was very patient at listening to my stories which were why I liked him in the first place. Clive nodded as he was thinking about it. I can see his motor was moving in his eyes as he was pacing back and forth. It made him look even more handsome than he already was.

Then, Clive stopped and nodded at me. "Well, the first thing we need to be looking for the envelope is in your room back at the cottage then," he said at me as I was arching my eyebrow at him. My family cottage has been abandoned by me for at least 500 years or maybe more after that incident that took my death. I was not confident that it would be in pristine condition still.