Chapter 17

It was night again, the part of the day where vampires could actually live. After some hunting, they went back to the castle. Dave sat at a table giggling, irritating James immediately. His mischievous glare glittering, rejoicing in his satisfaction. He loved to torture James whose humor hadn't improved since the night before. He was grumpy and furious and maybe a bit fearful.

"Why are you giggling like a little girl?" James grunted looking down at Dave.

"Because we sit to eat and now, we come here to drink. Isn't it funny? Why do we have to look like humans? This is ridiculous James." His tone a mocking one and at the same time disgusted one. "Dave despised humans and human life, James on the contrary always wanted to remain a little human and that was another thing to set them apart.

"Here we have some rituals. I live with humans." James said. "Diana and Constantine know exactly what I am, other might be just suspicious."

"Are you sure?" Dave smiled. Again, that glitter that made James shudder, but he wouldn't show or subside to it.

"They might be suspicious but I never confirmed anything, so tradition remains in my house. If you want to sit fine, if you don't even better." James took a sip of the wine.

"Where is your butler and his daughter?" Dave asked looking at the door. He could use a bit of Diana already.

"They must be here at any moment." He said putting the napkin on his lap trying to sound calm.

A bit with trembling hands, Martha entered the living room with a tray in her hands. The tray clinked as she put it down on the table by Dave's side. She was afraid of that man and her hands trembled as she carried the food. Her heart was beating fast and echoing in his head. His fangs wanted to jump off as he felt a frenzy running over his body. He looked up at her and her lips trembled. James observed her and wished he didn't have to subject her to Dave's cold judgment.

"Where are Constantine and Lady Davenport?" James asked as they weren't there.

"Constantine asked me to tell you that today him and his daughter are having dinner at Lord Byron's house my lord." Martha explained.

James stared at her with his jaw clenching. Diana was having dinner with Jack, his eyes burned in rage and Martha looked at him horrified. He was sure his eyes had turned green but he didn't care. Some feelings he could not control. Dave watched all that with a soft smile in his lips, enjoying every bit of James's fury and Martha's fear. Her heart beating was still echoing loud in his ears. Hadn't she been James's cooker, he'd jump on her neck that very moment.

"May I leave my lord?" Martha then asked and James simply nodded. He took another sip of the wine and Dave still watched him.

"How can you drink that shit?" Dave asked almost with disgust.

"Leave me the fuck alone." James spit still trying to process in his mind that Diana was with Jack. It was beyond painful the idea of her with another man. He suffered almost humanly.

Dave began to laugh. Blue eyes landed on his turning green again in fury. James was about to jump on Dave if he didn't stop. "You are too funny..." He retorted.

"Stop it!" James said not wanting to hear him.

"Why do you hate me so much?" Dave teased.

"I don't hate you, I just don't like you." He lied. He hated Dave. He hated him with all that he was and a bit more. He couldn't stand him.

Dave shook his head smiling. How James hated that calm and teasing style of his. "I made you a favor James...you were dying in corners...well, you were going to die of the plague for sure."