Chapter 54

It had been more than 24 hours. James was sat at the edge of the bed. Diana should wake up at any moment. He was anxious while he looked at her new features. Her human heat was gone, she was as cold as he was. Her skin was as pale as his. There was no heartbeat, though she was already breathing. He could confirm it by the movements of the sheet that covered her coming up and down. Sometimes she stirred and moaned, it was the poison he had given her doing its job.

James got up and walked a little in circles in the room impatiently. Diana knew she was dying but never asked him to transform her, he did it without her consent. He did it in a selfish move and weak too for he could not be in a world where she didn't exist. He had also failed to tell Constantine what he had done, even if he tried. Thus, he feared her reaction when she realized what he had done. I hadn't complied with his promise. He had given her eternity, but it was his last resource. The bed grated a bit and it yanked him from his thoughts, he looked at it. Diana raised an arm.

"Diana?" James ran and sat on the edge of the bed again. That would be it. It would be seconds now before she woke up to a new existence. He felt so anxious and nervous that moment. His throat went dry.

She groaned and shook her head violently. James gasped even more anxious. Her eyes opened wide and she released an animalistic groan and then sat almost robotically.

"Aah..." She yelled again. Diana took both her hands to her head and deepened her fingers in her hair, then she took them to the collar of her nightgown and ripped it. James moved closer and grabbed her hands.

"Shu...shu...." He shushed to calm her. He knew well what she was feeling but Diana didn't know what was happening with her. She looked desperate.

"I'm thirsty." She complained. Her eyes turned bright green as she said so. Diana was craving blood.

It had happened to him when he woke up to his vampirism and it had happened to all the others he had transformed. She needed blood. It was like that, they always woke up to their eternal life with an infinite need for blood, only they didn't know what that thirsty was. And for that it was an unbearable feeling. Then Diana stopped, she stayed really motionless and her eyes rolled around as she heard all the noises around her. Inside her head there was a strange echo. Her hands flew to her ears and she frowned.

"Make it stop!" She begged him suffering.

"Diana... Diana..." He called grabbing her hands again. "You have to calm down." James knew he had a lot to teach her, like he had been taught once, and like he had done to his brood.

"What is happening to me?" She asked him, looking lost and confused.

James looked away from her gaze, now back to normal again. He had to tell her and didn't know how to. He looked at her again. Diana looked at him confused. Her eyebrow curled then.

"I feel weird, but I don't feel ill anymore." She stated. "I am not ill anymore?" She asked.

He came closer and sat back on the bed. He had to tell her the truth. "You're not ill anymore." Then he looked down. He couldn't even face her. The words failing to come out. Diana groaned again and breathed fast.

"Stop this..." She asked again but she didn't know what he had to stop.

"Look at me..." He begged. "Calm down and it will go away."

Diana stared at him. Then she began to sniff. "I can smell weird things. What is this?" That scent was triggering her will to drink.

"You are smelling humans." He said. Her head turned to him quite fast.