Common Ground

In life, I learned that you don't let other people destroy you. That you have the freedom to choose if you let them. You have to let them see that they don't matter or else, you become their slave.

"I mean, no."

I've made up my mind. I've long done playing your game, Kid.

"Clearly, you are trying to manipulate me, Mr. Kid Ongpauco. I refused that to happen."

I stood up and decided to left them. I going home. I am done with my business here.

At the public ride, I wasted my time thinking how I'd spare my Gracey from disappointment. Mrs. Ching would be disappointed too.

I sighed. I'll have a hard time explaining this to Gracey. She was so excited when I told her that finally we're gonna see the house Mrs. Ching often tell her stories about. That she'd meet it in person.

When I arrived, I put my bag at my bed and then take a bathe.

What a day.

That was the first time I saw Kid for eight years. He had matured physically but he's still the same arrogant man I know.

When I went out from the bathroom, I almost had a heart attack when I saw Kid sitting on my bed.

I'm still figuring out if I've imagined things from too much thinking about him and our meeting.

"How on earth---"

"I bought you take out food from the restobar. You did not eat there." He said as he stood up and unpack the food he was referring to.

I had a small place that my kitchen is just next to my bedroom. It didn't even have a separation wall.

I am still in awe of how on earth did he knew I live here. Did he follow me?

"You followed me here." I said as a matter of fact.

He continued preparing ignoring me.

"What are you trying to do, Kid?" I am so upset that I feel like crying.

"Eat." He commanded.

"Eight years and you still think that you have the same control over me?"

"Eight years and you think I'd let you slip away again?"

A tear automatically fell. God, please, not in front of him.

So this was still it? He wants to have a hold of me to suffer just like before.

"If this is still because of what happened to Athena, then for the hundred times, I am apologizing."

"How dare you talk about Athe---"

"I'm sorry, okay? I know now that whatever I do, you will never learn to forgive me. So why won't you just let me leave alone in solitude?"

I fought so hard not to sob. Never will I let him see me weak.

I closed my eyes to calm myself.

Somehow, I saw this coming. Eight years was not enough. He still love her. He still wants me to pay as if I haven't suffer enough in his hands before. As if it wasn't hard raising our daughter alone.

He was just eyeing on me as if he's weighing my emotions. He then heave a sigh.

"I'll leave after you eat. Please eat." He calmly said.

I nodded.

I sat at the dining table and started eating, not because I'm following his order but because I just want him to leave as he promised.

I ate my meal as fast as I could as he keep his eyes on me.

It felt uncomfortable.

"You know it's rude watching someone eat." I said as I looked up on him.

He followed my gaze.

"I'm afraid I'd lose you again if I look away."