23~The Twin's Trick

The rain was pouring heavily with loud thundering that made the winds sway the trees furiously as Shinichi waited near the clock tower, hidden in plain sight as the police force and Nakamori-keibu kept a watchful eye near the place. Kaito smiled to himself as he disguised himself and blended with the crowd. 

~Kaito's POV~ 

" Alright everything is now set. Too bad the rain is pouring heavily right now, I'll get my beautiful suit and cape wet." I muttered to myself as I heard Shinichi's voice from an ear piece that he gave me earlier. 

" Are you ready Kaito?" He asked as I looked down the clock tower. 

" As ready as I'll ever be." I replied to the detective with enthusiasm.  

I quickly leaped off the top of the tower as I made my grand entrance to my audience. 

" Welcome, ladies and gentlemen and thank you for coming tonight! The weather sure is interesting today." I said as I bowed to them and floated in the air. 

" Get that damn thief!" Nakamori-keibu shouted out furiously as the police force spread out and attempted to climb the clock tower. 

(I'll leave the rest to you, tantei-san.) 

~Shinichi's POV~ 

(Okay, now that Kaito has distracted them a little bit, I can do my part of the plan.) 

I scanned around the place before rushing to the back of the tower and hiding near the trees. 

(Are they really going to show up here?) 

I carefully looked at the nearby buildings when I suddenly felt a chill down my spine. 

I slowly stumbled back as I looked at the clock tower with panic. 

(Kaito!) 

I rushed back as I saw Kaito with his signature white suit and cape. 

I immediately grabbed him in time before the officers went up the stairs and tried to figure out where Kaito went.  

" Oh my, you seemed to be shocked by something tantei-san." He said jokingly. 

" Now is not the time to mess around you idiot. Let's switch." I said seriously. 

The magician looked at me with confusion before he covered my mouth as we heard some officers walking around the place. 

" We switch right now?" He asked in a soft and low tone. 

" Y-yeah."  

I gazed upon him before we switched and went in different directions to keep Nakamori-keibu and the others distracted. 

~Hakuba's POV~ 

(Damn it, that thief is fast.) 

I thought to myself as I tried to catch my breath. 

" I better watch out for the traps in this place..." I muttered to myself. 

(Where did Nakamori-keibu and the others go?)  

I suddenly saw Kaito Kid with his paraglider as he soared through the sky and flew away from the clock tower. 

" Why is he...." 

I looked around the place before I saw Kudo-kun running pass the clock tower. 

(I guess he's chasing him.) 

I stood there for a few seconds before I heard Nakamori-keibu calling me from the tower. 

I rushed back to the tower as I saw Nakamori-keibu stuck in all the traps Kid had set up. I helped him out and the other officers before we heard a loud bang from a gun and immediately went outside to see one of the civilians protected by the moonlight thief. 

All the civilians stood there in shock as Kaito Kid smirked with his face covered by his hat and  monocles. 

" My, it seems someone uninvited came this evening...I should be going now...." He said weakly as he flew off and soared through the sky and disappeared in the distant moonlit night. 

~Kaito's POV~ 

I hurriedly went to the nearby trees as I saw Shinichi leaning on a tree while he was holding his bleeding wound. 

" So that's why you wanted to switch places with me...you wanted to disguise as me so that I won't be the one who gets shot...How reckless of you." I said weakly as I carried the injured detective as I made my way to his house and mended his wounds. 

I watched over him tirelessly as I gritted my teeth. 

" To think they would hurt an innocent civilian just for the sake of it...Absolutely unforgivable..." I muttered to myself angrily as I continued to watch over Shinichi. 

(Rest easy for now..You've done so much today...) 

" Good night, Shinichi."