Chapter 16: Mourning

Ron's P.O.V
________________________________

"No! Wings are so much better!" I argued while eating. Who even thinks chicken waffles stand a chance against delicious, crispy wings?

Harry apparently.

"What! It's basically meat on a stick. Chicken waffles are the perfect combination of sweet and savoury!" Harry argued back, raising his voice playfully.

"Don't use that tone on me young man!" I said loudly, impersonating mum.

Harry looked at me and pouted sadly.

We began arguing again when we heard the doors to the hallway open. Both our heads snapped in its direction and in walked Ginny and Hermione. I looked at Harry and he was frozen in place, his face contorted in pain and....a different emotion.

What did he do?

I looked at Hermione and felt myself re-living the moment I had messed up my life.

***Flashback***

"Hey babe" a sweet voice whispered.

"Get lost, Lavender. I told you, I'm with Hermione!" I yelled at her.

She's really been bugging me for a while. I already explained to her that I had a girlfriend whom I loved.

I know Hermione doesn't like me anymore. For the first few months after my brothers death, I was an emotional rollercoaster. I would sometimes break down or rage. My family was understanding and Hermione was there for me, letting me cry on her. I would feel so safe in her arms.

Then one day, I was walking back from the shops and I thought to myself. What's the point? Why am I here? I've already lost my brother and Remus and Sirius and god knows where Hagrid is in the break.

After that day, i shut down. I blocked myself from everyone. Even Hermione. I ignored her and pretended she didn't exist. At first she was understanding, but there is only so much a girl can take, you know? So the gap between us grew and I kept distancing myself, not wanting to lose another person I loved.

That's why I broke up with her. She deserved someone better than me. Someone who didn't have so much emotional baggage. Someone who could give her the attention she deserved. Also, out of nowhere, I realised I liked Lavender. I don't know why, but again for the second time in my life I felt drawn to her.

I don't know why I said half the things I said. It made sense at the time, just not now, looking back at it.

***End of flashback***

Ginny came and sat next to me, as far from Harry as possible. A look of pain and that emotion crossed his face and he looked at Ginny pleadingly.

"Ginny we need to talk" he said, getting up.

She shook her head. He sighed, running a hand through his dark locks.

"Ginny I'm not asking" he warned, grabbing her hand and leading her out.

That left me and Hermione.

Alone.

________________________________

Harry's P.O.V
________________________________

I clutched Ginny's small hand in my own and walked out the door and into the garden.

I turned to face her when we were in a corner, only to see her looking elsewhere.

"You lied" she whispered.

"No I didn't" I said weakly.

"You said you love me" she said blankly.

"I do!" I pleaded.

"Then why did you kiss her?" she asked, her tone sad yet accusing.

"I don't...I don't know" I whispered.

She took a step back as I took one forward.

"Liar" she said again.

"She did something. She sprayed me with something and I couldn't think straight. I think it was love mist. I told you, it's only you. I love you" i said honestly.

Her eyes softened for a sec, only a sec.

"You're telling me she was the problem" she whispered again, same tone.

"Yes" I responded.

"Blaming everyone but yourself" she said and I froze in my spot.

She shook her head sadly and started to walk away. Nuh uh. Not on my watch.

I grabbed her arm gently and dragged her into a spare room that I found.

"LET ME GO YOU ASSHOLE" she yelled.

She continued to struggle and fight as I walked her into the room, not forgetting to swear colourfully when she kicked me where it hurts.

The second we walked in, I pushed her against the wall and attached my lips to hers. They felt so soft. I wrapped my arm around her waist and put my hand behind her head, pushing her even closer than we already were.

My mind was clouded and I wasn't thinking properly. She was the only thing on my mind.

Around that time I realised she wasn't responding. I wasn't embarrassed. I was...angry at myself. I...I can't believe I didn't think of what she'd think!

I pulled away and looked at her face. She had a blank expression on. She stepped away from me, heading to the door.

Not. This. Again.

"Ginny I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that." I pleaded weakly.

"Your aren't really" she responded boredly.

"I AM!" I said loudly in frustration.

Guilt filled my head as she flinched.

"You aren't. If you were, you would've tried to make it up to me. If you were, you would admit this was your fault. If you were, you would've been there while I was trying to cope with Fred's death." she said bitterly.

"I was there for Fred's death!" I argued, pushing away everything else she said.

"For a week before you went off. Now you're doing it again. You're ignoring everything i said and focusing on something else. This is the problem with you! You don't care enough to listen or even try and understand! You brush me off!" she yelled.

I was about to say something when I thought about what she said. I remember after Fred died, I went off to mourn over everyone I lost. Now I realise, I forgot about Ginny. I forgot she was mourning too. I...wasn't there to comfort her when Fred died, or when her mum couldn't properly take care of them due to depression.

I was away, taking care of myself.

"Now you understand what I meant when we argued on the phone. Not any other time I ever tried to tell you" she said slowly.

She walked out and this time, I didn't stop her.