Dream

Y/n's curious blue eyes scanned the paintings in the museum of art. She was only five years old but she knew that she could draw something better than a man with long hair that looked like noodles. She wanted to draw a man with delicate features and brown eyes that seemed to melt away any rational thought.

She dreamt of him one night and he was a knight and she was a princess. It was weird how he fought for her and proudly drove a sword into a man's chest, all the while praising the princess with words she was too young to understand.

She woke up the next morning completely confused. She was certainly no princess and she wasn't as old as she was in the dream. She also didn't recognise the man in her dreams at all but that morning she tried to mix every shade of paint just to find the shade of his eyes.

X

She didn't have another dream until she was about eleven years old. No boy in school seemed to captivate the girl's attention and she started to worry that maybe she wasn't into boys at all. Or girls. Maybe she just had distaste for humans in general. That was until she fell asleep again.

It was the same boy of her dream six years ago only this time he seemed to be covered in ink and she seemed to be covered in flour. She had a bakery next to his tattoo shop and she decided to be nice. She took him a plate of her famous chocolate chip cookies and she got a crooked grin in return.

"I just thought I'd bring the plate over since you just moved in next to my shop and I know the other shop owners keep to themselves so I decided to be nice. I hope you don't think it's weird."

The man gives her a small smile, a hand running through his dark purple hair and he just shook his head. "I appreciate the gesture and you're welcome to stop by anytime for a tattoo. For free of course! Even though you don't seem like someone who would get a tattoo." What was meant to be a joke left a bitter taste in the girl's mouth and with a forced smile she walked away.

She didn't like him at all and he kept on sending her flowers to apologise for his rude behaviour. Until she decided that two weeks later, she was going to ask him for a tattoo, just to prove to him not to judge a book by its cover.

She got a small musical note with flowers intervened in it on her wrist and it was soft, delicate even, the man ended up apologising again to her and she accepted the apology.

She woke her mom up the next morning really early, urging her to bake chocolate chip cookies for breakfast.

X

At the age of sixteen Y/n got her first ukulele. She wasn't like most kids who wanted a piano or a guitar, she wanted something different and she has always been drawn to ukuleles, something she never quite understood, until that night. It wasn't that she hated dreaming of the boy, it just didn't make sense at all. She didn't even know if the boy was real or just a fragment of her imagination because she was lonely. Sure she had friends, but they were all busy with their own things and never really cared to check up on her.

Y/n sat next to her boyfriend's hospital bed, her ukulele firmly in her lap. He was so much more weak than she can remember and she knew he didn't have much time left.

"Will you play our song, please my love?" her lover whispered almost, a cough escaping his thin lips and she gave him a nod, her fingers running over the strings of the instrument skillfully.

"House of Gold?" he nodded and she started the cords, her voice wavering as tears threatened to spill from her ocean blue eyes but it still made her love smile. She knew that her love was only keeping himself alive to be with her and when the song ends, she delicately places a kiss on his sweaty forehead, silently telling him that it's okay to let go.